1. RIPPA MATE

RIPPA MATE New Member

Title of leader

Discussion in 'Research' started by RIPPA MATE, Nov 22, 2008.

Ho, guys need a little help.
    What is the title for someone who is the leader of a whole group of countries? i was thinking Hegemon but i don't know if that quite fits.

The political situation is this.

A race of humans have united after a previous civil war (which is actually a country to country war: the north countries and south) And this guy who united them now leads. The unison of countries and the race have prompted an invasion across the sea to defeat other races. So this race is sort of a nazi community like and british order infused into one.

If there is no name for the leader feel free to make suggestions.

thanks

2. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

I think the alliance would make up a name for the whole collection of countries rather than them still being individual countries (think the Soviet Union), so the leader would still pretty much be President if it's democratic or the counterpart if it's not.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

'supreme leader' is one i used in a screenplay...

other possibilities:
    emperor
    imperator
    kaiser

4. RIPPA MATE

RIPPA MATE New Member

Its not democratic but the soviet like union thing is probably sort of what i'm talking about, but they are somewhat individual countries as in they're still refer to as the "Bridge Coast Republic" or the "kingdom of Errastria". they're just united under one leader, the leader of that race.

maybe i could make a name up...

5. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I would just call him "Leader." Simplistic yes but it gets the point across rather elegantly :cool:.

6. RIPPA MATE

RIPPA MATE New Member

True, but on the page it sounds horrible. Currently I've got 'president' which sounds fine, except it convays the notion that it just all one country.

7. sharp_quill

sharp_quill New Member

something like 'grand leader' or 'grand marshal' seems pretty good. I would check some anime references since they tend to have some uncommon titles. are the people of the nation(s) fanatical? perhaps they would just love calling him Lord or Supreme Keeper. Also check back to nazi Germany. Many of those people thought hitler was god. but I can't think of his actual title right offhand.

8. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Hitler was a Chancellor (Though the common name was Fuhr which means "Leader").

9. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

It was Fuhrer (with an umlaut over the u, which the forum won't let me type). It means leader, but wasn't an official title, it was more along the lines of Mussolini's Il Duce (The Duke), and Stalin's Vozhd (Boss). Hitler's actual official office was Reichskanzler (Chancellor) and, after Hindenburg's death, Präsident (President). Though I'm a bit sketchy on whether he didn't just dissolve the office of President and incorporate the powers into the office of Chancellor...

10. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Premiere...this title can describe any head of state, whether the "state" is a single country or federation of nations.

11. RIPPA MATE

RIPPA MATE New Member

I'm liking chancellor
    Though I did look up the latin word for premier, it was primarius. That also sounds alright. I can twist that slightly to Primarium or Primarior.

The head guys name is 'Quietus' by the way.

12. RIPPA MATE

RIPPA MATE New Member

Double post - delete.

13. Hetroclite

Hetroclite New Member

Yes, you could make one up. That's the best way. What I do is go to the glossary of a language book & find a word in another language to suit the character.

But speaking of "Soviet-like", communist leaders usually take on benevolent titles, such as "Chairman" (since they are chairmen of the Communist Party).
    No dictator calls himself "dictator" or likes being called one. Other benevolent sounding titles can be "Head Counselor", "Chief Advisor", or "Chief Provider."