1. Bobby Burrows

Bobby Burrows Banned Contributor

London Teen UK South Asian Gujarati Family

Discussion in 'Research' started by Bobby Burrows, Oct 28, 2018.

I'm planing to write something, and it's about a Heroine with super human strength, however, she's 17/18 and lives with her grandparents who have a family business which is a corner shop (probably an off license or news agents) in South London.

It's set in South London today, it's contemporary...

I want to research UK Asian Culture, for a family in the UK originally from Gujarati who came to England in 1972 from Uganda, so, I'm interested to know more about UK Asian life, from the eyes of a British born 17/18 year old Heroine/teenager born in Croydon.

Should I write her going to Croydon College or BRIT School or Coulsdon College or Nescot?
    Should I make it one college one year (it's my serial) and another college another year?

Background on her home life.
    It's above a shop/the family business, where she helps out.
    She was raised by her Grand Parents who came to England and her are parents are missing/presumed dead.
    I want this special ability of super human strength to be mystical and hereditary making it an old Gujarati family of Vampire Hunters.

I'm toying with the notion of giving the special power to the grandfather, but American Dragon: Jake Long scares me away since that was also about a family with hereditary super human powers rooted in folklore and also, that show happened to be Asian too, but set in New York City... So, that and Buffy scaring me, make me want to do my idea more, which is UK Asian Buffy The Vampire Slayer Character set in Croydon in South London (In a neighbuorhood called Thornton Heath).

Buffy was live action, and so do I intend mine to be.

I want an older brother who hasn't got the super power and the Heroine who has, and I want it to be signs of importance if a female baby receives this foretelling some Omen or some huge battle?.. Something.
    And she's 17/18, and other than that, she's just teen living at home with her parents and her parents have a family business and are old school and trying to find a nice young Indian man maybe, because, I don't want to offend, but I do want my Heroine fighting off vampires and would be potential husbands her grand parents keep throwing at her maybe.

2. Bobby Burrows

Bobby Burrows Banned Contributor

I want to hear from UK Asian people to get to know what it was like growing up in a South Asian household in the UK in a place like London or Manchester or Birmingham or wherever.

I want to hear about anyone who may have grew up in a family business, like Bob's Burgers maybe or a small retail shop in the UK - so spawns of family owned businesses since my Heroine will be one of you, if you've ever had to give 'free labour' to help out at whatever business your family owned wherever in the world, I want my Heroine to have to suffer the same struggles as any other 18 year old kid in that situation.
    18 year old female teenagers, what's going on?

I want to hear from Teenagers; I'm looking for a British born teenager who grew up in South London, and I want to make her believable but I'm 32 years old and I want this set now, so, IDK how UK teens talk nowadays.
    So Teens of the UK who read... What do you hate seeing in fiction about people your age? I want to know how to avoid writing a badly written teenager in terms of social norms and slang.
    I want the dialogue to be real, so, I want my Heroine to sound like you and think like you.

She's going to have responsibilities at home/work but also as a guardian of humankind against vampires and demons - so she's not going to be Gangster, she's not going to be smart, might make her popular? might make her not? I want to make her, a teenager who has responsibility while all her friends from college are going out clubbing and hooking up, I want my Heroine to be subjugated with home life.

I want her to want to be normal, like, sneaking off to the club one night to party with her girlfriends and her grandfather busting her and then she and him might have to save the club from a vampire DJ or whatever and they reconcile and she confesses that she wished she didn't have to be a vampire hunter and that she could just go out with her friends and her grandfather letting her know that it was never about the vampire hunting (while he came into the nightclub), but because the shop needed her to serve /man the fought (the shop) while they wanted to go to the cash & carry and that even if she wasn't a Vampire Hunter, she's still not allowed to go clubbing while living under his roof.
    Then I want him to quickly look at the time on his phone, and say
    "The cash & carry!"
    "We can still make it!"
    and then the next shot the grandparents and older brother are in the van in car park/parking lot looking of a closed cash & carry where the grandfather says while the family are looking at it
    "Never mind, we can probably order it online anyway."
    and the grandmother can say
    "And if there's any postage costs, we can write it off as a business expense, it's deductible!"
    in a serious manner.

End that night club / Heroine wishing to be normal episode like that.

We could also have my Heroine learning to drive.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018