Tags:
  1. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

The Eurovision Song Contest

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by dbesim, May 15, 2017.

The contest this year was hosted in Kiev, Ukraine. Who tuned in and what did you think of the show? I loved the contest's slogan ''celebrate diversity'' .

The were a great diverse number of entries, some worthy of a yawn and others very entertaining!

Portugal won the contest this year for the first time since the contest began with Salvador Sobral's convincing performance of a song his sister wrote. A well deserved win! Absolute heaven. Here's the winner's entry:

2. dbesim

Here are a couple of the other no less interesting performances! Enjoy the music.

Moldova

France

Sweden

3. dbesim

Romania

Hungary

Australia

4. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

The original rendition washed over me. But when the songwriter took the stage and they sang together I found it almost moving - beware the bile in comments section underneath.

I liked the Belgian woman because she was so scruffy, but a week later I have forgotten most of the show - oh, the Ukrainian version of Muse springs to mind, and I hope also that next year more entrants sing in European languages, the 'do' and 'you' English rhyming couplets are...meh. I think that this result signals a move away from Europop toward 'songs' and that 'celebrate diversity' is a slogan without spine, [patronising/political] and that the voters appreciate integrity and talent, simple words like that.

One of our old favourites:

Trivia - Waterloo Abba, 1974 Eurovision, host Brighton UK...NIL POINTS from British jury, and song banned from playlist of Radio Sussex as too raucous.

dbesim likes this.
  5. dbesim

Ye, I think the entrants should get extra marks for singing in their own languages. So few of them seem to do this over the past few years.

Anna100 and matwoolf like this.
  6. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Bloody love Eurovision! Nobody I know likes it so I had a Euro party with my cat, and he didn't have much to say about the entries. :(

I thought Portugal was a deserving winner (unlike most years where my scores bear no resemblance to the official ones). I liked it third-best after Australia and Austria.

Croatia and Romania topped it for entertainment value.

I was disappointed with Ukraine's entry. I loved the guitar solo and was looking forward to a good rock song, but the singer's voice was so pop-y that it didn't work.

Spain and Germany didn't quite deserve the nil points all round--I think they were forgettable rather than terrible.

I really did like the UK's entry and thought it would do a little better in the popular vote, although 15th is respectable for us.

Did you think the voting was less political this year than usual? The jury votes were nowhere near as predictable as usual. I wonder if people are just getting sick of it (hence the boos for Greece and Cyprus when they gave each other 12), if it was because of the new scoring system, or if Russia's absence was a factor. Maybe all three.

dbesim likes this.
  7. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

re: politics

there was Hungary's first ever 'gypsy singers' and no Russia.

[ew, as you said]

I don't love Eurovision btw, just no friends/normal

dbesim likes this.
  8. dbesim

I think I prefer the new voting system where the audience gets to vote. It completely changes everything. Acts that were meant to be last are suddenly in top 10 because of the audience vote!

Is it political? I think so. Especially between the jury. It's also a lot of fun and in some cases OUTRAGEOUS! Especially when it comes to costume and what they wear. Apparently it's got a fan base in China but also a lot of countries participate who aren't in Europe such as Australia who're part of another time-zone but it's probably watched all round the world. I don't think the contest minds who participates. They just let anyone take part. I'm not sure that the Ukraine or Russia are part of Europe either but so it is!!

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  9. Anna100

Anna100 Active Member

Agreed!
    Anyway, it's so much of the same, so I'm glad Portugal won.

dbesim likes this.
  10. Tenderiser

When you say Europe, do you mean the European Union? Ukraine and Russia are definitely part of Europe. :D

I do think it's funny that Australia take part now. When they first appeared, for the 50th anniversary, I did wonder if they would be invited back.

11. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

What was interesting was that it was mainly the "Big Five"...the ones who get automatic entry into the finals, without having to get through the semi-finals... who did it.

Those who needed a result in the earlier rounds HAD to go with a language that most of Europe would understand (English, despite Jean-Claude Juncker's assertion that it's a dying language) because singing in Luxembourgish would been understood by fewer people than understand Welsh.

@Tenderiser , you should have come round; one daughter was back for it, and another was jealous of her...and the spread of international (although not European!) cuisine.

dbesim and Tenderiser like this.
  12. Tenderiser

I would've loved that!

Next year. :)

dbesim likes this.
  13. Lancie

Lancie Senior Member

Eurovision is one the highlights on my year!!! My finance is a metal head and had never watched it before we met but he gets really into it now. Beer helps.

Australian participation is something about them bloody loving it, and the network that broadcasts it is a member (for reasons unknown?!) of the European Broadcasting Union. They probably said please a lot.

Romania was my favourite. Rapping and yodelling- who knew?

Tenderiser and dbesim like this.
  14. dbesim

I probably meant EU but it probably doesn't matter with the song contest because it's all one big fun.. Fun.. Fun.. party. Sorry for mixing up my geography. I thought Russia especially was more in Asia but it's probably counted as eastern Europe for being partly there :D

I'm glad you were living the Eurovision experience with me.. sorry you were on your own :( .. but I'm still pleased you didn't miss the party.

Tenderiser likes this.
  15. dbesim

Romania was fresh! I thought the yodelling was very catchy. It got me joining in a bit.