1. Stormsong07

Stormsong07 Contributor Contributor

Looking for beta readers for YA (ish) fantasy

Discussion in 'Collaboration' started by Stormsong07, Jul 25, 2020.

I've completed my first draft and am struggling with the editing process. I know how to do the line-by-line editing to tighten up my writing, but before I get to that I'd like some other eyes to evaluate my plot, characters, and overall readability.
    Anyone up for it? I wrote it all in Google Docs, so if you have a gmail address you're willing to send me, I can share it with you and you can read it and make notes online at your own pace. Or I believe I can send a link if you don't have a Gmail.
    I'm really looking for critique on plot and characters and the big things at this point, I'm not worried about all my adverbs and the little stuff yet. Unless of course, all the little stuff adds up to create a big failure point.

A little plot info:
    Set in a medieval-style world. It's a coming-of-age story about Kaelie, a timid girl who discovers her deceased mother was actually a fierce warrior in the elite Beast Riders (soldiers who ride magical beasts). Can Kaelie live up to her mother's legacy and overcome her fears to help save her country from an invading, demon-like enemy?

Oh, and it's 83k words, 36 chapters.

2. Kalisto

Kalisto Senior Member

I'm game. Are you willing to read one of mine in return?

3. Stormsong07

Stormsong07 Contributor Contributor

Sure, I'll give it a go. What genre?

4. Kalisto

Kalisto Senior Member

Fantasy.

Stormsong07 likes this.
  5. Kalisto

Kalisto Senior Member

Just send me a PM if you're interested and we'll work out the details.

6. Steve Rivers

Steve Rivers Contributor Contributor

I'm still sore that you didn't add that body armor, chainsaw, and uzi to the unicorn, Storm. But I forgive you. :D

Feel free to PM me with the Google Docs link. If you hit the Share button in the top right hand corner, it will give you options of which type of link you wish to give and what permissions you can and dont wish to allow. And a "copy link" button along with it after you have.
    I sound like an expert, but i only just used Google Docs for the first time in ages yesterday heh. (Thanks to @Some Guy ) It's changed so much since i last used it, years ago. It's actually very user friendly now (or so im finding)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    Stormsong07 likes this.
  7. Kalisto

Kalisto Senior Member

Well gee, that sounds terrible.

8. SNJade96

SNJade96 Senior Member

I know it's been about two and a half weeks, but I haven't been able to post here until now. If you still want/need any more critique, I'd be more than happy to help out.

9. ToDandy

ToDandy Senior Member

I'll be looking for beta readers for my novel at the end of this month. Re writing three chapters and then it will be "done"!

I'm a fantasy buff and ready to read any age group! I've also done a lot of beta reading and story critique in the past. Touch base with me in a week and we could talk a beta trade if you'd like! Mine is a 86K middle grade fantasy.