1. sftjm

sftjm New Member

Looking for some short story recommendations!

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by sftjm, Mar 15, 2018.

Hello, I'm in need of some short story recommendations - either singular stories or collections.

I am taking a class focused on short stories and we have all been tasked with finding a short story to bring in for the whole class to read. I have a couple of collections on my list so far, but I'm looking for some more interesting options.

Currently I'm looking at two Haruki Murakami collections: Men Without Women and The Elephant Vanishes. I've also briefly looked into Her Body and Other Parties by Carmen Maria Machado.

I'm interested in quirky, abstract stories that really make you think. My class will no doubt be picking the story apart, and I may end up choosing the story to write about in my final assignment, so I need something I can unpick and really delve into.

So, if anyone has any recommendations, I'd love to hear them! I'm open to looking into any genre, so just recommend your favourites and I'll take a look.

Thank you!

2. Andrew Alvarez

Andrew Alvarez Senior Member

Hi there. Does it work for you recommendations of tales written on this forum? There are really well made short stories here, in the workshop. If that´s so, it could be really good to give a reading to the various threads around, and you can make a critic about those tales, that could help a lot to the writers around if done in a constructive way.

https://www.writingforums.org/threads/longfinger-1-118-words.156609/

One of my favorites around. Hope it helps.

3. sftjm

sftjm New Member

I didn't think of that! I'll have to check with my teacher, but I'll give some a read anyway. I'm not sure how good I would be at giving criticism though. Thank you for the suggestion.

Andrew Alvarez likes this.
  4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

If you want stories that are strange, quirky, etc (not in the same way as Murakami, but good) check out Jorge Luis Borges.

5. Stormsong07

Stormsong07 Contributor Contributor

Stephen King's Skeleton Crew had some really good ones, particularly The Mist