1. naruzeldamaster

naruzeldamaster Senior Member

Looking for some 'subtle' references I could make.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by naruzeldamaster, Jan 8, 2021.

So I'll soon be tackling the first chapters of an Isekai story that takes place inside Dungeons and Dragons. Or at the very least a fictional world that follows those conventions. The main quest is kind of sorted, but I'd like the side-quests to be references to video games, since the 'fictional' world MC is transported to is essentially that in the 'real' world.

The first side mission they go on is a bombing run destroying an evil factory, at the briefing the following exchange happens.
    Female Lead: So our mission is to- MC: blow up a Mako reactor? Female Lead: The fuck is a Mako reactor? We're destroying a factory that converts the life energy of the planet into electrical energy. MC: So...a Mako reactor, got it.

While this one off joke is well and good (and abundantly obvious) I want the other quests to be a bit more subtle with their references. It doesn't have to be a game that MC knows (he's genre savvy anyhow due to being a gamer, so he knows about things like 'there's always a hidden secret behind waterfalls') but it does have to be obvious to those who know it.

For example them finding a fully cooked turkey dinner inside a crumbled wall is obviously a reference to Castlevania. However if you aren't familiar with that series the reference isn't so obvious.

2. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

I think we might be the wrong crowd to help you out. I for one have no idea what events/machines/whatever you're referencing (have never played D&D). You might be better off posting this question in a D&D forum.

3. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

I'm assuming (from memory) that a Mako reactor is from FF7. I preferred FF8.

They eat mushrooms. MC asks if it will let him throw fireballs.
    They're getting ready to explore an underground complex. MC wonders if anyone packed a 10' pole.
    They try to open an electronic door in an enemy complex. MC suggests they find the red key card.
    They come across some healing herbs. MC suggests they mix the red herb and the green herb.
    They see a cute furry creature running away from them. MC suggests they catch and train it.
    Someone asks MC what their dream is. MC answers "I want to be the very best, like no one ever was."
    MC is confronted by a villain, who is not the Big Evil. Constantly refers to him as "Mid-Boss".
    MC is challenged to a fight by a villain. Pulls out a deck of card and challenges him to a children's card game.

Lifeline likes this.
  4. Bakkerbaard

Bakkerbaard Contributor Contributor

@Lifeline makes a good point. I think a D&D crowd could help you out more effectively, but one thing I understand, if I may be so bold, is referencing.

If it serves the story, go right ahead. But otherwise, stick in references only for yourself. The line between a nifty reference and becoming a tribute act at a wedding reception is very thin.
    There's an excellent one in Heroes, for example. It's been a while since I saw it, so I don't remember the exact context, but at one point Hiro's father (played by George Takei, of Star Trek fame) shows up in a limo and give the guy a stern talking to. End scene, good night.
    For the more eagle eyed viewer, there's a quick shot that 'accidentally' shows the license plate of the limo which reads NCC1701. If you don't know, google why it's such a good reference.
    That's the line you want to tread when it comes to referencing. Or easter-egging, rather. They're only there for the ones that put them there and the ones that understand them when they see them. Unfortunately, sneaking in a brightly coloured easter egg is a lot easier on TV than in writing, since you have to specifically mention it.

X Equestris and Lifeline like this.
  5. naruzeldamaster

I think @Naomasa298 has the right of it, the references are going to be to video games rather than DND, the story simply takes place in a world that follows DND conventions.
    @Bakkerbaard has a fair point about references though and I'll keep that in mind.
    While the references themselves aren't super important (hence I want them to be subtle, like the Resident Evil reference @Naomasa298 suggested) I do want them to be a part of the story.
    Maybe not as often as I'm making it sound.

6. Bakkerbaard

In my spare time I do archery and my coach taught me how to hold the bow and where to anchor my drawing hand and he explained all the finest details of how to get a sharp stick into the center of a piece of paper and then, in the last class, he said, "Eh, but if it's in the middle, it doesn't matter how you got it there."
    So, whatever people say, especially me, what you should mostly keep an eye on is if it works.

7. The Multiverse

The Multiverse Member

References ypu use for writing depend solely upon your tastes and depth of knowledge in those references. The more you know about a reference you want to make, the easier it will be.

Have you ever played D&D?

8. GraceLikePain

GraceLikePain Senior Member

I'm going to say for the record that references are very low-tier entertainment. A thing is not funny because it is simply mentioned, and they can pull the viewer out of the story pretty quickly. Doing them too often can make the entire story seem shallow.

Buuuuuut....since I hate it when a person asks a question on a forum and nobody actually answers it, I'll try and shake out a few references from my brain. I don't promise quality.

- If someone needs to reach something higher up and is trying to figure out how to do it, have another character sarcastically remark about touching a mushroom first.
    - Have someone say "you're too slow!" at some point.
    - If there are zombie-like or otherwise mind controlled people, you could have one of them say, "live for the swarm!"
    - Have someone push a button and then a bridge falls out from under two other characters (Sonic 3 and Knuckles).
    - Name a character Phoenix Marcus.
    - "touch fuzzy, get dizzy."
    - Have someone draw an F at a gravesite without remarking about it.

...That's all I got.

Seven Crowns and Xoic like this.
  9. naruzeldamaster

@The Multiverse I have not 'played' DND no, I have watched a few campaigns and done plenty of reading on it though, I'm more using a DND campaign of my own design as a 'setting' rather than it being in any strict DND related world with all the relevant gods etc.

10. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse Contributor Contributor

I think the trick to making this type of humor work is infrequency and quick delivery. Make the joke and move on. It shouldn't be more than a one-liner, IMO, and shouldn't be mentioned again or lingered upon. You'll get a smile and a small chuckle out of the people who get it and the people who don't will get over it quickly enough and won't be left feeling as if they missed out on something important. And the beauty of an isekai setting is that most of the "natives" won't know what he's talking about either. They may scratch their heads for a moment, but most probably aren't going to ask for an explanation. The show goes on.

But keep in mind what this says about your MC. I agree with @GraceLikePain that this is "low-tier entertainment." I'm in a similar situation to the OP. I am working on an isekai novel where my MC is transported to a fantasy world which he must save. He spends the first third of the story not believing this is real. As such, he's waaaay too laid back, makes a lot of jokes and off-hand remarks at the wrong time in front of the wrong people, some of which are legitimately offensive to the characters whose world is literally ending. To them, this is not a video game. And that point is eventually driven home to him and he grows as a character because of it and becomes less of an unintentional asshole.

11. Naomasa298

I think what you mean is that it's a standard high fantasy world, rather being a "D&D world".

12. naruzeldamaster

It's a high fantasy setting that follows DND conventions, character classes available in the 'game' world are strictly DND classes (so no blue mage/red mage etc like Final Fantasy has) every character has an alignment etc.
    One of the villains is actually a "dungeon master" and while facing him the characters are forced to roll die to determine the outcome of their attacks and other actions. (of course it turns to their favor but it's still pretty brutal)

I have a similar story where, the basis of the lore is based on classic RPG tropes, though that's more broad than DND alone. I'd argue that the level of 'awareness' in that story is far higher than here. (There's an argument about bosses getting multiple 'turns' and that not being 'fair') Every character in that story has a fourth wall breaking sixth sense type ability that actually provides them useful information.

13. The Multiverse

The Multiverse Member

Following a campaign is worlds different from actually participating in it. The exact same campaign can have an entirely different feel to it depending on those playing with you and the type of game master you have. I strongly suggest that you play a few campaigns to get an honest sense of just how it feels. Much like watching someone play a videogame isn't the same as playing the videogame yourself.

In 1986, a game of D&D was transcribed and gained such popularity that it was made into an anime - The Record of Lodoss War. Pulling inspiration from somwthing you've seen in D&D is a great idea, however, experiencing it first hand is far more enlightening.

14. baboonfish

baboonfish Member

As others have pointed out, its a fine line. I'll come right out and say I am a big fan of Ready Player One, although I think Cline is essentially a dreadful writer and a one trick pony. However, he somehow managed to nail it with that one book (although the movie is utter dogpoo except for the Shining scene). There was plenty there for retro video game nerds like me and it wasn't so subtle and niche as to isolate readers who aren't necessarily into video games at all. Now I am going to assume that you aren't looking to go anywhere near as mainstream as Cline, here are some ballpark ideas for references I would enjoy (sorry you'll have to do the hard yards, these are just for inspiration).....

1. Absolute ultimate number 1 would be something that references ridiculous early 80s hard as nails text adventures. the first screen of the Hulk (which most people never get past) or even the Hobbit (also brutally hard) would touch my funny bone.
    2. Im not sure what your era is but basically anything regarding 80s tape based computers would make me laugh. Treasure Island Dizzy is a good place to start and full of weird references. Scool Daze, Manic Miner, Jet Set Willy - all the classics have something to offer on the humour front.
    3. late 90s console advertising is a rich mine of references - check out Sega and Sony campaigns around the Megadrive and PS1 respectively.
    4. Anything that references Sierra and particularly Leisure Suit Larry. Or if you're not a Sierra fan how about Monkey Island?
    5. Any reference to King of Kong/Steve Weibe/Billy Mitchell may amuse.
    6. Most gamers enjoy a good reference to the 'worst game of all time' E.T. (Its not even that bad LOL.) Or any awful game.
    7. In fact Atari in general is another reference gold mine.
    8. Dont reference Space Invaders or any Taito/Square Enix IP EVER. They WILL sue you!!
    9. A reference to any holy grail gaming item such as Megadrive Tetris, NES World Championship Gold cartridge or the famous Sony/Nintendo prototype console.
    10. Smash TV quotes - "I'd Buy That For A Dollar...." "Good Luck, You'll Need It!"

15. Naomasa298

"Look behind you! A three-headed monkey!"

16. GraceLikePain

GraceLikePain Senior Member

I thought of some more.

- "I can't believe I lost to this scum!"
    - Everyone knows "all your base", but "you are on the way to destruction" is way underrated.
    - "I should have been the one to fill your dark soul with light."
    - "What am I fighting for?"

17. Bakkerbaard

That's it. You are now my new favourite person.

18. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

"I've got balls of steel"
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum"

Oh wait—are you looking only for things from RPGs? Those are from a video game.