1. Juan Mendez

Juan Mendez New Member

Looking for the algorithm to write well

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Juan Mendez, Mar 1, 2014.

Hi Everyone,
    I thought I was going to be the only computer oriented guy in this forum, but its not that way. I think the best way to describe myself is by saying I am really systematic, and I try to have a plan for everything. I am Colombian, studied in USA, and now studying in Germany. I speak English and Spanish, and in theory German. I am terrible at writing in any language, but enjoy reading and making up stories. I hope you have lots patience and take me as your charity cause.

I like to travel, history, and strategy games. If I ever go to your country, and you want to meet just let me know, I enjoy meeting new people + taste the local coffee or beer.

My biggest problems are:
    ed - In Spanish I don't use "tildes" in English I never use "ed" endings.
    this/these - I blame it on typing faster than I can think.
    Grammar - Who needs it? Sadly everyone, hopefully this year I will improve my grammar in all the languages I "know".
    Spelling - Spellcheckers are my saviors.

[WIP removed]

2. Macaberz

Macaberz Pay it forward Contributor

Hi Juan!

You're in the right company. I think it is fair to say everyone is here to learn and improve. As for your quest to find the algorithm of writing, I can relate, but you won't find it. Aside from the rules of grammar and punctuation, all bodies of writing rely mostly on guidelines. Becoming aware of these guidelines can definitely help, but it is training your writing muscles on a regular basis that will make you improve the quickest.

As for the piece you wrote, it started out pretty OK, but got a little more confusing towards the end. It felt like I was reading your detailed notes on that part of your story instead of the story itself. Don't worry about getting it right in one go though, revision is almost always needed on any piece.

Having said that, the rules of this forum require you to first review other people's stories and be a member for # days before you're allowed to post your own in the Writing Workshop. That's another thing that will help you improve your own writing: reviewing other work. It really does help.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You won't find an algorithm. I doubt you'll even find a reliable heuristic. But welcome anyway, and mayhaps we can help you engage the right side of your brain in the quest.

4. Juan Mendez

Juan Mendez New Member

Thanks for the reply. I posted the character background more of an introduction to what I write and what I am in to than to get feedback,; nevertheless, I welcome the feedback. I don't want to break the rules, so if anyone else feels that I am bending the rules let me know and I will edit the character background out.

edit: Seems like edit option is only available shortly after been written? If so and a mod decides the background story is passed the line, please edit it out.

5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Welcome to the forum. :)

El que no utilizas el modificador -ed al fin do los participios pasados o verbos en tiempo pasado en Inglés es un error común entre hispanohablantes. El oído latino suele tener dificultad en reconocer las consonantes terminales en Inglés, por lo que se quedan sin pronunciar o se omiten cuando deben ser escritas.

También soy un políglota. Español, Inglés, Ruso, Polaco. ;)

And back to English! Yeah, I had to remove the excerpt of your story as this is not the place for it and we do have some requirements that must be met before posting one's own work for critique.

Please have a look through the Forum Rules, and the FAQ as a start. This is where you will find the information concerning our requirements.

Have fun! :D

Wrey

6. Bjørnar Munkerud

Bjørnar Munkerud Senior Member

The algorithm is not to follow algorithms. Uniqueness is the most vital aspect of writing. Make yourself stand out.

7. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

My algorithm: write, edit, edit, edit. It's working so far.

Bjørnar Munkerud likes this.
  8. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Senior Member

Have you tried this?

function writingwell {
    Initialize all g ∈ G and b ∈ B to not written
    whilenot written good piece g that is still better that bad piece b {
    g = b's best possible piece yet not written
    if g is not written
    (g, b) become well written
    else some piece (g', b) already exists
    if g is better than b to b'
    (g, b) become well written
    b' becomes not written
    else
    (g', b) remain well written
    }
    }

Macaberz likes this.
  9. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

The algorithm totally exists. It's called the monomyth you can read more about it here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monomyth

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Sorry, but those are not truly algorithms. At best, they are heuristics, but by themselves, incomplete. A computer scientist would understand the distinctions.

11. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Senior Member

Yes I know, I just made that pseudo "algorithm" up, as a joke.