1. LMThomas

LMThomas Member

Looking out a window at night

Discussion in 'Research' started by LMThomas, Sep 4, 2016.

Hey, guys,

this may be a dumb question, but let's say that you were inside a small chinese restaurant in NYC at night. The streets are fairly dark, (as dark as they can be in nyc). There are lights on inside the restaurant. Could you look out the window and see people walking?

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

If the people were close enough to the glass, probably, or if they were walking right under a streetlight. But you wouldn't see much at a distance or in the shadows.

You can probably simulate this pretty well wherever you're living - you don't need to be in a Chinese restaurant or in NYC, just anywhere with lights on inside and minimal lighting outside.

3. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

You'd probably see shadows moving but not much detail to distinguish what it is.

4. LMThomas

LMThomas Member

Thanks, guys!

5. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

One other thing to try (if you haven't already) is to put your face to the glass and cup your hands around your eyes. Then you could see more detail in shadows if the character needs to. But anyone lurking would have a pretty good idea of what's going on.

6. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

If it's anything like Chinatown in London you can see everything. There are no shadows.

7. Albeit

Albeit Active Member

I am not sure why I thought that the title of this thread was a philosophical question when I first stumbled upon it as something I should read.

Still have a lot to learn about what kind of questions get posed here I guess.

8. Scorpion02Tyr

Scorpion02Tyr New Member

It would depend on how bright it is outside, how bright it is inside, how close the people inside are to the windows, and what kind of glass it's made out of. Even if it's fairly dark outside, and fairly bright inside and you can't see anything outside, if you sit close enough to the window you'll be able to see through the window when your own shadow is cast on it, blocking the bright inside lights.

LMThomas and Kara Gatsby like this.