1. Joseph Selby

Joseph Selby New Member

Rookie author

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Joseph Selby, Feb 11, 2017.

Hi everyone, Joe here!
    I just created the account this morning and as such I literally have no idea where to post stuff.
    I am to post critiques of extracts and soon (hopefully) to post chapters of a book I have been working on, where people can review my work.
    Discovered this website after reading an article on Medium titled 'How to Get Published', pretty desperate on my part but I will do what it takes!
    If someone can link me a thread to critique work, I am all in. Apart from that, I hope I'll have good time on this forum!

2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I assume you received a link to the New Members information (also listed under Information at the top of your screen.) That will tell you just about everything you need to know about getting started here, and how to fulfill the initial requirements for membership.

If you want to do critiques, go to the Workshop section of the forum, listed partway down the Community page. You'll have a choice of what kind of writing you'd like to critique ...Short Stories, Poetry, Song Lyrics, Non-fiction, Scripts, Fan Fiction and Novels. Just go to town on it. Give the kinds of reactions to the writing that you would find helpful to receive, if you were the author, and you can't go wrong.

Welcome to the forum! And you're already partway through writing a book? Excellent. What kind of book is it? I guess I'm asking what kind of genre you prefer to write.

3. Joseph Selby

Joseph Selby New Member

After I took a good read on the new members info + scoured the workshop myself, I think I have found good short pieces which I can give good feedback to! Thanks for the advice anyway :).
    Yeah, tomorrow I am planning Chapter 2. The book is science fiction, I credit Highlander and Samurai Jack for being my main aspirations.

jannert likes this.
  4. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Yeah, just take it easy and feel your way into the critiques. It'll be fun. I think I kind of get your sort of story, although it's not really what I read myself. But you're thinking 'lone hero' who travels around, trying to help people in need?

5. Joseph Selby

Joseph Selby New Member

Nice guess. But the main protagonist will have sort of a 'team' around him and is trying to help himself get out of a bad predicament.

jannert likes this.