1. snuffpot

snuffpot New Member

Finally joining a writing forum

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by snuffpot, Feb 9, 2017.

Hi everyone,

I guess I'll say a bit about myself. I've wanted to write since I was a kid, but was overly critical of my writing while writing and didn't actually end up writing a lot. But I did draw a lot, and what I did write I did really enjoy. I never followed through and wrote out an entire idea, but I'm aiming to finally do that now.

I have been watching a lot of Jenna Moreci recently (the writing vlogger on youtube) and been taking on her advice, doing lots of thought dumps and starting out my story summaries. I've also organised all my story ideas into folders, so my ideas for each story are in one place.

I've always been interested in writing predominantly fantasy, though I also enjoy sci-fi. While growing up I was interested in loads of genres (across loads of media), and whenever I read I'd come up with different takes on the story that I thought would improve it, while keeping what I really liked about the genre.

For example one idea is a magical girl story where the five magical girls have elemental powers based on the Chinese astrology elements. And they can diminish or strengthen each other based on those elements too, so the girls have to learn a fair bit of solid strategy which I feel doesn't happen much in magical girl shows. There's also a huge focus on their personal journeys, since they're still fairly young.

That's somewhat more of an exception with its anime focus. I also have ideas for a teen-becomes-a-vampire story which has some pretty dark themes, multiple stories with a more epic fantasy setting and even an idea for an RPG video game, including mechanics that tie in to the story.

Looking forward to working on stories with you all

zoupskim and Simpson17866 like this.
  2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Welcome!

3. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Don't do it! It's not too late! Try something less painful, like home tooth extraction! Runnnnnnn!

Kidding... welcome!

Rosacrvx, snuffpot and Simpson17866 like this.
  4. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

Welcome to the site!

Always a good resource ;)

Wait a minute, are you me :D

... That is amazing, fantastic, bloody brilliant.

I love it.

You know, my mom just sent me something like that this morning:

[​IMG]

5. snuffpot

snuffpot New Member

Thanks!

No comment. :p

It's great in theory, but will require lots of research and work to get straight and keep consistent. But thanks! Anything I mention on these forums I would of course love to see someone else have a go at.

Mostly I just want to see these kinds of stories written, and different writers could go about the same basic idea so many very different ways.

6. snuffpot

snuffpot New Member

Who says I wouldn't enjoy something so deeply challenging and painful, though? :p

Also thanks!

Homer Potvin likes this.
  7. Simpson17866

Pretty much anything where the character relationships are as important as the individual characters is going to be off to a good start in my book. And hopefully yours too :cool:

Anyway, the system of Greek-elemental magic that I'm working on in my own WIP sounds a lot like what you're going for. Any chance you'd like to PM some notes back and forth, see what we're each doing similar and what we're each doing differently, maybe come up with some brainstorming questions for each other?

8. snuffpot

snuffpot New Member

I'd be happy to PM some ideas back and forth :) this story for me is very much in preliminary brainstorming stages. And I don't think you could even have a good magical girl or even team-based story without the character relationships being as important as the individual characters.

9. Simpson17866

And that's where a lot of "team"-based stories fail :(

10. snuffpot

snuffpot New Member

That's interesting to hear. Also pretty sad. I guess it is surprising to me because I grew up watching magical girl shows, and they're usually really on top of that aspect. And so many fantasy series might have a team but not of similar powers like in magical girl shows, and usually their relationships are pretty good too.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  11. Simpson17866

Wow, really? I didn't know that, the only magical girl show I ever watched was the English dub of Tokyo Mew Mew, and even then I wasn't as into the series itself as I was into a) the similarities with the Animorphs books that I did love and b) spending time with my cousins who did love the show itself.

Plus, that was also –

– holy ****, that was over 10 years ago we all watched that.

cough The Order of the Stick cough ;)

(And almost anything by Joss Whedon)

12. snuffpot

snuffpot New Member

I think I read a couple of Animorphs, or maybe watched the show if there was one? I don't think I really got into it, though.

I think I watched the sub of Tokyo Mew Mew? And to be honest, so much of the genre is pretty samey (but I get that impression with a lot of anime in the last decade or so?) so I haven't actually watched many examples. But I did watch and get really into Card Captor Sakura (definitely not an equal team but really good on the relationships), Sailor Moon and Mew Mew. Sailor Moon was an interesting one. I watched some of the dub and hated so much of it but loved it too, so I looked up the japanese anime (the dub was horribly edited at first) but then also the manga. They changed a lot with the anime adaptation, and I found that the manga, though simpler in some ways, was better in a lot of ways too. In particular with the relationships and character growth. Which was still pretty minor, but they made a live action adaptation that had very good character development (and relationships), and some cringey choreography and graphics and cheesy baddies.

A similar but quite different concept is Avatar: The Last Airbender (and the sequel series). No magical girls or transformations, or even sudden getting of powers. But it does have elemental powers and young kids learning to work together and to get better at their magic, and had excellent character development and relationships.

I didn't watch any of these with other people, except for Avatar which I first watched a couple of years ago with my partner. I was pretty self-conscious about watching such girly-looking shows :p (Avatar is the obvious exception here.)

I'm probably equally dated based on the shows I mentioned watching. The years do just pass, don't they?

Simpson17866 likes this.