Tags:
  1. Viserion

Viserion Senior Member

Losing an eye

Discussion in 'Research' started by Viserion, Apr 30, 2021.

I have a character who has one of his eyes violently removed. Now, I’m not worried about if he’s able to survive due to his superhuman toughness, but I’m wondering what would go into his recovery.

The setting is roughly WW1-tech level and such.

2. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

What do you mean?

3. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I think he's asking what kind of medical treatment he would receive. And that would depend largely on the injury. 'An eye removed' almost sounds surgical, like it was done on purpose, but 'violently' counteracts that, so it isn't clear. Was the eye exploded? Gouged out? Shot out? How much damage was done to surrounding tissue and bone? Shattered eye socket? Severely damaged sinus passages? Brain damage maybe?

4. Viserion

Viserion Senior Member

Like, how would he recover from the loss of depth perception and such? Would he be running into things?

Someone physically pulled it out with his bare hands.

Xoic likes this.
  5. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

Depth perception is always a strange one for one eyed people. They have to guess a bit more. What is interesting though is how the brain will center the vision still while using only one eye rather quickly. Unlike when a two eyed person closes one eye and still feels like their vision is cocked to one side of their head, a person who lost their eye wiuld have their brain correct for the missing organ and center the vision appropriately.

I only know this because my father accidentally double fed a large pistol and it blew up in his face, causing the inevitable eye loss. But he didn't die and had a cool patch for a while, so things work out.

Gravy, Xoic, Madman and 1 other person like this.
  6. Naomasa298

Depth perception is highly overrated. Even with one eye, you very quickly adapt and it isn't generally a problem.

I'm speaking from experience - I had a cataract that left me completely blind in one eye. It didn't really cause any problems. It might be a problem for certain things like driving though.

Viserion likes this.
  7. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

And pouring wine. Ask a server who's lost a contact lens, haha.

EFMingo and Naomasa298 like this.
  8. Naomasa298

It's a problem if you're not holding the glass in one hand. If you've got hold of it, you can judge how far away it is, but I guess you can't do that in a restaurant environment.

9. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Hell to the no.

Naomasa298 and EFMingo like this.
  10. Naomasa298

Still, I'd rather my flight attendant had one eye than my pilot. :supergrin:

11. B.E. Nugent

B.E. Nugent Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

The minibus driver who brought us to under 14 matches when I was a kid did so with one eye. Well, two but one was glass. Never any issue.

Regarding this thread, eeeewwww!!!

Viserion likes this.
  12. Storysmith

Storysmith Senior Member

I wore an eye patch to a fancy dress party once. Depth perception didn't matter (it was just a party), but I kept bumping into children on the side of the patch, though never adults. Peripheral vision is definitely lowered. I suspect I'd have got better at that with practice, but I'd suggest adding that effect initially.

Viserion likes this.
  13. Javelineer

Javelineer Active Member

I actually used to know a one-eyed bush pilot. His decision on whether or not he would wear an eye patch in flight depended largely on how much he wanted to spook his passengers.:supergrin:

Really, he said that monocular vision didn't affect his flying as much as it affected finer things, like typing or tying fishing lures. Though muscle memory would probably come in handy even for that.

I suspect that the degree that eye loss affects your quality of life would depend largely on whether or not it's your dominant eye that you lose.

Gravy and Viserion like this.
  14. Viserion

Viserion Senior Member

What if it was the dominant eye?