1. Okon

Okon Contributor Contributor

Style Lost My Way

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Okon, Apr 27, 2014.

My writing use to be stiff and precise. But it was awful and read like a report, so I changed it. But now that less agony (and more fun) goes into my words, I feel like I don't bleed enough for them.

Is it bad if it's easy? A part of me doesn't feel like a writer anymore, because I forgive a lot more things than I used to. I guess I'm really just looking for a pat on the back during one of those 'low' points in writing confidence.

Are there ever times for you guys where a scene hits the page so smoothly that you don't trust it?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

No, I don't usually feel this way until I'm on my way home from my critique group. ;)

If you are unsure of your work you need someone to look at it and give you feedback. If it's a matter of inspiration, that's harder to acquire, maybe a vacation or ???

Okon likes this.
  3. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

Definitely not. As long as feeling, passion, and the joy of words go into a project, it can be just as powerful and artistic as a complex literary novel. Think of it like art: who's to say the paintings of Rembrant are any better than the work of a comic book artist? The latter is obviously more simplistic and would take less time to create, but in the end, both artists did what they enjoyed most: painting/drawing.

So what about you? Are you enjoying what you're writing? If so, keep going, because that's great! Two very different writers can make two very different readers feel a vast range of emotions; we need writers of different style, mood, and vocabulary.

Sometimes, but to be honest it's more of a relief! It means that the scene if going from my head and onto the page, which is the main thing. If you're worried, then you can edit your work later.

:)

Okon likes this.
  4. Okon

Okon Contributor Contributor

I've already had quite the vacation from writing, which is partly why I feel so differently about it. You're right, I should post something here. Do you go to a weekly critic group? That sounds rough Edit: yet helpful.

@Thomas Kitchen: I am enjoying what I'm writing, but sometimes I get worried that it's just self-pleasuring instead of keeping the reader in mind, which I can, again, figure out by posting something here for critique.

Thanks guys. I feel better already. Sometimes you just need a push.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
    Thomas Kitchen likes this.
  5. BoddaGetta

BoddaGetta Active Member

Do you read in addition to writing? Doing a balance of both can help you find a "voice."

Writing is different than editing. Let the words flow and organize them later. Are you focusing on one work? Sometimes switching to another work entirely can improve the quality.

Okon likes this.
  6. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

It's every two weeks and I've been going for about 2 years. I rarely miss it. It forces one to get the next chapter done, and improve the last one, but mostly I credit the group leader and teaching me how to write. He'll be in the book dedication when I finish it.
    [​IMG]

Okon likes this.
  7. justlang

justlang Banned

For me it's usually better when it's easier.
    An unrelated tip: The thesaurus in Microsoft Word is amazing.