1. Donal

Donal New Member

Lost Symbol - A Poor Start

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Donal, Dec 16, 2010.

Just started reading Dan Brown's Lost Symbol this evening. I've just finished 3 chapters and have to say I'm amazed at some of the irritating writing techniques I've encountered only 3 chapters in.

Chapter 1 - The book starts with a father and son involved in an epic accident while hundreds of feet about the ground. We discover its a dream!!

Chapter 2 - The antagonist decides to look at himself naked in the mirror as Dan Brown describes every minute detail of his physical appearance.

Chapter 3 - There is a MASSIVE info dump about two of the main characters.

Hope this doesn't keep up for the rest of the book.

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

umm never wanted to read Lost Symbol before - aside from Angels and Demons and DaVinci code find Dan Brown a bit dull.

However chapter 2 - is the guy hot lol ?

3. Donal

Donal New Member

He is completed covered in tattoos, is 6 foot 3 and muscular - all of which we knew already. The character is sitting down and all of a sudden bounds up the stairs and decides to examine his reflection as Brown tells me what I already know. Still I've got into it now so I'll finish it tomorrow.

4. Elgaisma

oh no tattoos don't do it for me - will give it a miss :) lol

5. Jonalexher

Jonalexher New Member

Please don't spoil anything else lol! I was planning on reading this, please do continue to have your opinion on it thought, without unveiling anything else ;)

6. Donal

Donal New Member

Nothing else will be divulged. You have my word.

7. Litoralis

Litoralis New Member

All I could say without divulging any more detail is that, having read it I know it starts to get a lot more interesting, and if you have previously liked/loved/enjoyed Dan Browns books then I personally think you're in for a treat!

However if you don't like him, I'd go ahead and put it down now :) as its written in his same old-same old style :)

8. Taylee91

Taylee91 Carpe Diem Contributor

^Wow! Who would have thought? All three of your examples would have made me dismiss the book at right about the third chapter too. I would have endured the dream, but having the antagonist look at himself in the mirror...I would have skipped that and I would have scanned through the info dump as well. I just like to get into a story quick.

9. East

East New Member

:--)

10. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I'm not a fan of Brown. I read part of a couple of his novels (less than 1/4 of each) and never finished them.

11. Jonalexher

Jonalexher New Member

Da Vinci Code is a good read, if you're into Da Vinci, Mona Lisa, and that kinda stuff. I found it pretty interesting.

12. arron89

arron89 Banned

As an art history student and someone who devotes far too much of his life to art, I can tell you that appreciating Da Vinci does not make that book any less loathsome. Besides which, his premise in even less convincing if you know much about Renaissance art, which just leads to even more eye-roll moments in a book that is already packed full of them.

13. evelon

evelon Active Member

I read The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons. I think it was a case of the story was good, the writing wasn't.

I tried another one of his - so good I can't even remember the title. Wouldn't really go there again.

14. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

After I read Angels and Demons, I wanted to throw Dan Brown out of a helicopter with a piece of tarp. I'll say no more.

15. Quietus

Quietus New Member

I can't see how you guys don't like Brown. IMO, he's a great writer and keeps me wanting to read more every book he makes.

16. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

My wife calls Dan Brown's stories "Scooby Doo" stories. I enjoyed The DaVinci Code, and I was enjoying Angels and Demons until a certain point late in the book. Brown's writing style is easy to read, and he keeps things interesting.

Still, I won't read any more Dan Brown, unless he completely changes his style or subject. Angels and Demons is essentially The Davinci Code - in Rome. Do I want to read The Davinci Code in Washington D.C. ? Not really. Nor in any other part of the world, which is most likely what his future novels will be, until people are literally vomiting in the streets because they are so tired of his formula.

17. Elgaisma

I don't really mind bad writing as long as I can get caught up in the story - I am quite good at suspending belief so I enjoyed Da Vinci and Angels and Demons they were a bit Indiana Jones, Tomb Raiderish.

I then read Deception Point and Digital Fortress and was bored stupid, my husband liked both of them. That was a particularly bad flight between them and Northern Lights.

18. evelon

evelon Active Member

I tried Deception Point. I stuck with it for a few chapters, but I think that's what made me vow never to pick up a Dan Brown Book again. Actually, I probably would, if only to read the blurb on the back.

I think the thing with Da Vinci Code and Demons and Angels is that it does explore questions about religion, in particular the Catholic religion that are rarely discussed. I found both books interesting and I agree with you, the story was good so the writing was secondary.

19. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

Yes, I have to begrudgingly acknowledge that point.

20. creativechris76

creativechris76 New Member

i have to say i really enjoyed angels and demons but i find that Dan Brown does so much research and preparing for his novels and its the information that drives the story and the characters don't even matter. I do find Dan Brown entertaining but to be honest i can get the same entertainment from watching the history channel...and lost symbol was a big disappointment...advice for Dan Brown...yes thats right this amateur is giving you advice...less time learning about histories conspiracies and a little more character research

21. evelon

evelon Active Member

Tend to agree with you. I found Da Vinci and Angels and Demons interesting because of all the information and the theories that went with it. But I don't recall the characters easily because they were overshadowed by the plot.

And that's not always a bad thing, but I think Dan Brown was more interested in theorising than he was in creating a gripping story.

Still enjoyed the two books though.

22. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

I'm still angry about the jumping out a helicopter with a tarp thing.

23. Norule

Norule New Member

Ive enjoyed Dan Browns books, but i did not like Lost symbol.

Because its just The Da Vinci code or Angels and demons again but in a different place. I dont want to spoil anyhting but its the same characters again (i dont mean Langdon i think hes called) but the girl he is with is basically the same as in both the other books and the "villian" is the same aswell. It really gets old when you read the exact same book three times just changing some stuff around.

I dont want to say here why i consider them the same characters but send me a message and il explain what i mean.