Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GirlWriter101

GirlWriter101 Banned

Prompt: Write a Non-binary Character

Discussion in 'Word games' started by GirlWriter101, Dec 17, 2019.

Opening a prompt about this was suggested by a fellow member, and as I'm the one who has been working on a novel in which one of the three MCs is non-binary I figured I would give this a shot. The prompt is to write a character in a setting, preferably either high fantasy or sci-fi, using official gender neutral pronouns. I don't care how long what you write is, but I would try, at least for this prompt, to keep it under 1,500 words. Thank you.

On Gender and Sex (for those who might need clarification): your sex is assigned at birth, male or female, blue or pink. Gender is how you feel, masculine or feminine, both, neither.

As a last request, please remain polite, I know we all have our own feelings on this subject, but I don't want this to tune into a debate on weather their are more then two genders. I'm trans myself, I'm just trying to help get the representation into the community.

2. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

He/She = Hy
    His/Her = Hyr
    Him/Her = Hyn

Godimar looked down upon the humans below hyn. From hyr cloud hy pondered why they were fighting so much. Godimar decided to play a trick on the puny humans. Hy would appear before them as a giant figure in the clouds, right in the midst of one of their battles. Hy waited for the right moment, and just as their swords clashed, Godimar made hyr appearance. It took a moment before all the humans had seen hyn, but when all did, they stopped fighting. Godimar thought hy would use the moment for a grand speech.

"Hear me, fear me, know me! I am Godimar in the clouds! I am your maker, your taker, your earth-shaker! It is I, who have brought you to clash, it is I who have spilt your blood! Know my command now, that the winner of this holy battle, shall be granted paradise eternal!" Godimar said and faded away from the clouds.

Of course, hyr promise of paradise was merely a jest. Hy could use hyr power to that end, but hy had far more important and fun things to do. Being Godimar in the clouds was a difficult occupation after all...

Steve Rivers and Rockatansky like this.
  3. GirlWriter101

GirlWriter101 Banned

Thank you for your contribution!

Madman likes this.
  4. NarrativeEngine

NarrativeEngine New Member

(Note: It is not meant as a slight at non-binary people. All beings in this culture are referred to as it before Ascension, at which point they decide what they would like to be referred to as.)

The time of Ascension had come, and 14971 was nervous. It was about to go through the process of becoming, of turning into a person as opposed to just another unit number. And it could barely maintain function as it stepped into the temple.

As it walked in and sat down, it looked at the elder across from it. Named Jareth if it remembered correctly, he was a bulky figure with a decaying surface. However, the sense of warmth and kindness that radiated off of him was something that couldn't be rusted. However, if it's fears were true, he may rescind that warmth by the end of the evening.

Jareth knelt forward and the questioning begun. It knew them by rote, and answered each carefully: Name, aspirations, it's deepest beliefs were laid bare before the elder. But none of it mattered next to the 47th, the one which it (soon to be named Larrin) had been dreading for months now.

Jareth nodded and wrote down "green" on his scratchpad, then looked back up. "He or She?"

This was it. Now or never. Larrin paused and fought it's fear, before finally answering. "How about... neither?"

Jareth tilted his head, and Larrin shrunk down. It knew that Jareth was about to judge them harshly, asking how it could be so foolish, stopping their ascension and sending it home in disgrace. Larrin was so caught up in this that it didn't even notice Jareth's actual words, so that when it looked up Jareth was waiting for an answer. It shifted and spoke again, hoping it couldn't get any worse.

"Could... could you repeat that?"

Jareth smiled. "What would you like instead?"

Larrin was shaken. This was not what it had expected. It tripped over it's words as it stuttered out a response. "I... I like they. It seems right for me."

Jareth nodded, and wrote it down. "Very well. What have you decided for... Larrin? Are you alright?"

Larrin sat shellshocked in their chair, and started as Jareth shook their hand. "Is something wrong?"

The dumbstruck youngling managed to find their voice again. "Aren't you... I don't know, mad?"

Jareth shook his head. "Why would I be mad? It's just a word. Nothing more. Someone else wanted the same thing but a month ago, and they also met with no repercussions. It is not a serious issue."

Larrin nodded, and let a smile spread across it's... no, their face. This had gone better than they could have hoped.

"Now, as I was asking, what do you wish your affiliate house to be?"

Ah. Maybe they should have focused more on the rest of the test. Still, it wasn't the end of the world for the newly named Larrin.

They would live.

5. GirlWriter101

GirlWriter101 Banned

I like it... that for me was what coming out felt like in a way... the fear of not fitting into the box I had grown up in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.