1. Keven

Keven New Member

Children Books

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Keven, Nov 6, 2011.

Reader,

Alright so I'm working on a children's book series (closet resemblance would be Goosebumps; ages 9-12+), but the TOP 6 publishers for children's book don't except unsolicited manuscripts. I tried doing a Google search, but that was no help at all. I even used a few of those sites where they ask you questions and then supply a list of publishers (all I ever got was self-publishing). So does any one know a good children's publishing company that is:

1) Known (like I could walk in B&N and pick up a book published by said company)
    2) Accepts all forms of manuscripts (unsolicited or not)

Feel free to post Agents as well as if need be I'll take the long road!

v/Respectfully,
    Keven

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you need to just go down the list of publishers and find those who accept unagented [not the same as 'unsolicited'] mss... many children's book publishers do accept unagented queries, which is what you need to look for... if your query interests them, then they'll request ['solicit'] the ms... 'no unsolicited mss' only means they don't want anyone sending in the ms before querying them first and being asked to do so...

but if you have a marketable children's series to offer, i don't know why you wouldn't also query agents who rep them, as well...

i have both agent and publisher listings i'll be glad to send you if you drop me a line... meanwhile, check out publishers at www.duotrope.com for those you can query... the point is to not limit your options...

finally, as a beginner, while it's nice to think you might snag a major publishing house, don't dismiss the smaller ones so lightly... starting at the middle or even towards the bottom is still getting a start... not everyone can start at the top, though a rare few have done so and hit the big time...

i write children's books for a chicago publisher and have been mentoring children's book writers for years, so if you want some feedback on whether your work is ready to be submitted, just let me know and i'll be happy to take a look at it... your query letter, too...

good luck!

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

3. Keven

Keven New Member

mammamaia,

I knew I should have mentioned I took a look at that already and had no real luck. Unless I'm just picky, but still after about 30 min. messing with it I made this topic.

v/Respectfully,
    Keven