1. frigocc

frigocc Contributor Contributor

Magic, Drugs, Fupa, Spaceships, and More: The Adventures — And Existential Crises — Of, Well, Me

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by frigocc, Jan 17, 2020.

***Will eventually replace this placeholder with a synopsis to my novel, and an intro of myself***

Just continuing my progress journal for 2020. For those unaware, writing an absurdist scifi in the realm of Hitchhiker's Guide, and it's still untitled.

I've officially reached the 25k word milestone today, which is 41.666. . .666% of the way to my 60k word goal.

Currently having difficulty writing an action scene. I want to make the reader feel anxious and rushed, as if it's really an action scene, while retaining the light-hearted nature.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    marshipan likes this.
  2. frigocc

Only got about 260 words done today. Not a lot, but I didn't have to spend quite a bit of time studying today after a job interview. Will get more done tomorrow after classes.

marshipan likes this.
  3. Xoic

Xoic Member

Hey frig (is it ok to call you that?)—2 questions for my own understanding.

First, who is that in your avatar pic? It looks a bit like Roger Ebert the film critic, but as a comic book version, or maybe like Jonathan from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. And there is a comic book of that, so this is more likely. Though I suspect it's neither.

Second, what is fupa?

4. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 Active Member

Looks like Kim Jong Il dressed as Ash Ketchum from Pokemon to me.

NK_UT, frigocc and Xoic like this.
  5. Xoic

Xoic Member

D'oh! I thought it looked a little too portly to be Jonathan!

6. frigocc

This, lol. And fupa is fat upper pelvic area.

Attached Files:

Xoic likes this.
  7. frigocc

Didn't get any writing done yesterday. Was too busy trying to catch up in my Anatomy & Physiology class. Normally, it would be no issue, but my professor is a jackass. On Thursday, he told us our lab was on Chapter 5. Then, yesterday in lecture, he told us it was on Chapter 3. Then, fifteen minutes later in lab, he said it was on Chapter 2. He's done this a ton already in only three classes, and has yet to actually lecture us about A+P. Considering it's the bedrock of the field I'm trying to get into, I may very well be visiting the Dean's office soon to dispute any bad grades I may get in this class due to his disorganization.

Anyways, rant over. Will try to get some done today, but do have some job shadowing I have to do for the job I interviewed for in an above post.

Still kinda not feeling my sagging middle. The start of the book starts off great, but then it falls flat. And after reading Good Omens, I know the genre can be written in a fun and engaging way throughout.

marshipan likes this.
  8. frigocc

Rewriting my intro today. Got some feedback that really made me look into how tight my jokes were (which was not very tight at all). Things that better authors accomplished in only a paragraph, I was taking a page to get to. I expect, after I critique two others' works, my next workshop entry will be a "Which Intro Is Better?" entry.

marshipan likes this.
  9. frigocc

Also, forgot to update my last progress thread. If anyone followed that, I was actually looking into becoming a firefighter. I was waiting on the next steps, and I actually got the call to go sign the offer at my dream department. However, with my history of knee surgeries, I probably wouldn't have lasted long in that job, and I wanted something where I'd constantly be able to learn more and move up, so I'm now in the process of starting nursing school.

Anyways, in the mean time, close to getting a new (actual) job. One that doesn't have flexible hours like my current Uber job does. It'll be reading and interpreting heart rhythms by watching EKG monitors in a hospital (cardiac monitor tech, or telemetry tech). Will suck to lose the free time I have pretty much all day, every day, but it's quiet enough in there to where I'll be able to write (unfortunately only with pen and paper) and study while working. Plus, it'll give me an edge in nursing school.

marshipan likes this.
  10. frigocc

Continuing to rewrite my intro today. I know it seems like I'm going backwards, but I'm not. I just realize that the genre can be written so much better, and I'd be doing a disservice to readers, and myself, by not putting the best damn words on paper that I'm capable of. I'd rather write an absolutely brilliant novel in three years than write a good one in one year.

marshipan, Alan Aspie and Xoic like this.
  11. frigocc

I think the problem I've been having with my intro is that I don't really know my characters. Yes, I have a general idea of the personality I'm going for with Lou, but I want to be a bit more specific, especially since his description is literally what my intro is.

I haven't decided if I want him to be a complete loser, someone that is clearly unhappy with their life, or, the one I'm leaning towards most, someone who thinks he's happy until he truly experiences happiness (basically, has a case of wanderlust, but doesn't know it. He just knows that something is . . . off).

So, today, I'll get maybe a bit of writing done, but I'm really trying to think who exactly my characters are.

Additionally, I've changed a plot point. There's a scene where Lou is at a trial. He's says something that is misinterpreted as an insult (it's a planet full of kangaroos, and apparently, they prefer the term marsupial instead), and is sentenced to death by the angered judge. Instead, I wanted to go back to a previous idea I had about a different character, and instead make the judge a senile, Alzheimer's-ridden old man (or, I guess, kangaroo), whom Lou merely tricks into letting him go. I feel like it's not only more plausible, but will make for funnier dialogue as well. Plus, it'll add depth to the currently-shallow character.

marshipan likes this.
  12. Xoic

Xoic Member

Busted! Now you go before the kangaroo-err, make that Marsupial Court!

13. frigocc

I was thinking something like what I put below. Obviously haven't written it out yet, it's just notes, so hopefully that doesn't count as including snippets (if it does, mods, let me know, and I'll edit it out).

"Now commencing the meeting of the Committee on, er, Agriculture."

"Judicial Matters, sir."

He puts a hearing device against his ear to hear better. "What?"

"The Committee on Judicial Matters, sir."

"Ah, yes, of course! No need to repeat the obvious, young man!" (the young man was the youngest at 174 years old)

"Where's, uh, who's the, er, thing. Yes, that's right."

"Well, er, you know . . ."

"Of course I know!" He peered around the room, before seeing that in his very own hand, he had some sort of wooden hammer (a gavel). "Er, carpenters!"

"Cardinals?"

"No. Carpenters, you fool!"

"Yes, er, that's right. Now commencing the something or another for the, er, carpenters!"

"Well, those, er, things-"

"Buildings!"

"Well, those buildings need to be built. So, er, we'll go ahead and do that and reconvene when that's done."

marshipan likes this.
  14. Xoic

Xoic Member

Very Alice in Wonderland (which is a good thing).

15. frigocc

So, in addition to working on this project, I've also started another, more serious, venture. I guess I'd call it a supernatural mystery/action/adventure? I'm not quite sure. I won't disclose any details (mostly because I'm still working on them), but I think it'll be an interesting story.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  16. frigocc

Damn, I might post a summary somewhere to get some feedback on the plot. In my mind, I think it could be really good, but it could have the potential to not be very good at all.

marshipan and Alan Aspie like this.
  17. frigocc

I'm torn. I'm really wanting to write this new story, but it's one that seems rather derivative. More problematic is the fact that it's derivative of another Adams work: Dirk Gently. It's an original story, but it does have a lot of similarities. With that said, it was the show that made me start rewriting an old story (the Deadbeat's Guide story I first posted here, and well before I read any of Adams' stuff [honestly, before I'd even heard of him]). So it's completely of my own invention. I just don't want people getting the wrong idea that I'm trying to copy Adams or anything.

marshipan likes this.
  18. frigocc

Hmm, I just learned that the US TV series actually has almost nothing to do with the Dirk Gently books. That's a huge load off my chest.

19. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Contributor Contributor

If you have a clear understanding about their motivation and where & how it is based, you get the most important parts of them free. And if you have some discords between motivational base & personality, you'll get very multidimentional storyline with inner & outer conflicts and character development.

20. frigocc

Yes, I've definitely tried to differentiate between what my characters wants, and what his personality dictates he actually does. And it's going better. Now my problem is that my individual plot points have apparently all been done by Douglas Adams. I swear, I'm living in the Simpsons Did It episode of South Park.

For reference, the point I was referring to was actually a pretty important one for various reasons, but it was using Chinese finger traps as cuffs.

21. frigocc

Think I'm going to write another comedy sketch today. Haven't done one in a few weeks. Trying to build up a big backlog for when I finally have actors/cameraman to film them.

Anyways, really enjoying this new project. I think the dynamic between my two MCs will be pretty interesting and real. Whereas the Lou Clark story will pretty much be all about the narrator, this next one will be all about character development. Can't wait to finish both of them.

Still working on the plot for the latest project, though. I have a general idea, but it's one of those plots where everything comes together at the end, and I want to make sure I tie-up all loose ends.

Alan Aspie and marshipan like this.
  22. frigocc

Had exams this week, one of which included the ridiculous details of anatomy, so took off a couple days of writing.

But I've still been working on my other project. It's something I eventually want to put to paper, but I know that I need to finish my original project first.

Alan Aspie and marshipan like this.
  23. frigocc

Still writing the story, it's just going very slow. I'm having a problem knowing how to describe very simple things that a writer should be able to. Additionally, I'm having trouble balancing the main plots and the side plots, especially with timing everything. Outside of the main plot, I have quite a few subplots, which all eventually become intertwined. Can't really change the perspective every chapter, so trying to fit in everyone's story without hurting the main plot.

24. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Contributor Contributor

How about simple writing for simple things?

25. frigocc

I think my problem is the simple writing. Like something simple as turning to face someone, I have no idea how to describe it except exactly as I just did. Only problem is, if that happens 3, 4, 5 times in a conversation, it sounds terrible.

Anyways, still writing the novel, about 28k words in now. Will be closer to 30-31k after a finish a scene I have in mind. But this has taken the passenger seat to comedy sketches. Trying to build a pretty big backlog of comedy sketches. My hope is that I can build a moderately successful YouTube channel that is great in its own right, and use that to maybe have a decent, albeit small, fanbase for when my novel finally is published.