1. mattattack007

mattattack007 New Member

Using magic in a fight scene

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by mattattack007, Feb 19, 2009.

In my story, I want to use some magic in fights. Only problem, I don't know how I would write that. I've got a start, but when I read it, it sounds kind of crappy. Some help?

2. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

How about some examples. Why do you think its crappy....what are you after...

Have you read many books with magic in them?

3. Atari

Atari Active Member

Post what you have, for I am terribly interested!
    Just the significant portions of the fight, if you want. (Though I would be satisfied to see the entire fight scene)

4. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse Contributor Contributor

^ Posting large chunks of writing isn't allowed in this section of the forum. The mods are quick to snap at that sort of thng. For now, it would be best for the OP to simply clarify what he's trying to do, rather than post actual writing here. The text would probably seem strange when taken out of context anyway. (And, of course, he's free to post in the Review Room once the requirements are met. I'm not at all trying to dicourage him from posting his work.)

A few questions that may help get the ball rolling:

-- What sort of magic is being used? Are they tossing fireballs at each other or is something more "technical" going on? Can they heal? If so, what will stipulate the end of the fight? (There must be some limit to their healing ability, or the fight will drag on forever.)

-- Where is the fight taking place? magic or no magic, my fav thing about writing fight scenes is integrating the scenery. Are there walls to get thrown against, cars to take cover behind, people to use as human shields, etc, etc? Spice it up.

-- How serious is the fight? Are the two (or more) combatants hell-bent on killing one another or do you plan to have them both come out alive? If it's a death-match, both characters will likely be using their strongest spells, with little or no regard for sideffects or collateral damage.

-- What do the two combatants represent? In other words, what are they fighting for? Good guys and bad guys generally fight differently (I hate to split things into black-and-white categories like this, but I think you know what I'm trying to say). Perhaps one uses "dark magic" while the other uses defensive spells and healing spells. Their personality/ideology should show through in the fighting style.

Also, I remember seeing a few threads about non-magic fight scenes.
    You may wanna look those up for further research / inspiration. :)

5. Atari

Atari Active Member

Oh, that is a shame, Mouse, as I was quite looking forward to an enthralling fight scene which I could help shape into something glorious.

His style of magic use is also something I desire to know about.

6. mattattack007

mattattack007 New Member

The style of magic that I'm using is based on that magic is tied with the user's life. If the user uses to much magic at one time, it can kill them. With this form of magic though, if it is increased, the user can live longer. Using this magic does take more than wave of your hand or a body action. (Wasn't a fan of saying words to use spells)

7. Atari

Atari Active Member

Well, then? How is the magic used? It would be difficult to give you suggestions of a better way to use it in a battle if we don't know how it is used.

8. mattattack007

mattattack007 New Member

It can be used in a number of ways. Attack, defense, controlling elements, and controlling other things. Aside from that, I don't know what you mean.

9. Atari

Atari Active Member

You said, ". . . does take more than a wave of the hand or body action."

Did you mean that it DOESN'T take more than a wave of the hand or body action? That would clear the confusion.

10. Speedy

Well "controlling" would have to be part of attack, defence now wouldnt it? (would it?)

Could it be used for normal day life... like drawing water from the ground,(p (srry thought of Eragon, shoot me). Creating illusions etc

11. mattattack007

mattattack007 New Member

I type quickly and don't preview what I type. So to clear the confusion, it doesn't take more than a wave of the hand or body action to use magic.

12. mattattack007

mattattack007 New Member

Yeah, Speedy. It can be used for the most basic tasks.

13. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse Contributor Contributor

Sounds a lot like the magic system I've been using. In other words, it sounds awesome. :D

But seriously, I think this should be fairly easy to write. It's a very straightforward system: use too much magic, you die. Doesn't require a lot of explanation, so you could just write it like a gunfight scene. Instead of trading bullets, they're trading fireballs; instead of running out of ammo, they're slowly being drained of strength/life/energy. And don't forget to think outside of the box. (I know I said "trading fireballs" but obviously watching too wizards hurl flames and lighting bolts at each other for ten pages will get really old, really fast. Mix it up.) There are so many possiblities when magic comes into play. Keep it interesting.

14. Atari

Atari Active Member

Alright, so in a battle, it can just be a punch facilitated with magical energy.

One could find an opening and push magic into a spike or what ever and impale the enemy.

If it's elemental based, then watch this for inspiration:

http://showcase.sfdt.com/viewmovie.php?t=58697

15. Speedy

You could always write a prologue for youself (not the novel) and have your characters go through a training school where they use their magics (and help the writer create situations where they can use them (developing taste for the writier, on wats cool and whats not)

Just a silly idea.... kind of like a writing project

16. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

There is no shortage of literature you can look to for examples, from Fritz Lieber and Andre Norton to J. R. R. Tolkein to J. K. Rowling. Before you emulate one of their styles, though, ask yourself:

Did the scene seem to flow well? Was it brisk and exciting, of did the action get bogged down in description?

Were you able to "see" the fight clearly, or were you somewhat confused by it?

To what extent did the writer prepare you for the fight scene by familiarizing you with the magical attacks and defenses previously?

Read, read, aanalyze, and read some more.

17. Etan Isar

Etan Isar Contributor Contributor

A better question than "what can it do?" is probably "what can't it do?" If you can cut your opponent's spinal cord with magic, this fight could be over quick. If all you can do is hurl pebbles really fast, then "ammo" in the form of time left to live might be more of a factor.

18. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

Well this also sounds like a fight scene for a story that I have posted on here. Simple actions are the catalyst for powers.

In mind though it works along the lines that whatever can be conceived by the user they can achieve the end result. There are certain limitations of course.

I have made characters specific. You can either use fire based attacks, cold, lightning, and so on. A melee fighter would also be able to charge his hits with elements. It just depends on what it is you are looking to do. Post your stuff and let us see.