1. IHaveNoName

IHaveNoName Senior Member Community Volunteer

Magitek setting

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by IHaveNoName, Mar 16, 2017.

I've been thinking about my fantasy setting, and I think I want to do magitek. As in, "any machinery that uses magic to function, or can manipulate magic" (source http://lingomash.com/slang-meanings/66973/slang-meaning-of-magitek). Unfortunately, outside of Final Fantasy and RPGs, I don't know of many works that use it. Can you point me in the right direction? I want to see what other people have done with it. I do have Martha Wells The Wizard Hunters - haven't read it yet, but it's in my "to-read" pile - and I've read Shattering the Ley and Aeronaut's Compass.

2. motherconfessor

motherconfessor New Member

Steampunk fantasy often falls into this. But tropetv lists a bunch of TV Shows/Books/Films that use it here: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Magitek

IHaveNoName likes this.
  3. IHaveNoName

IHaveNoName Senior Member Community Volunteer

Duh. I read that article and forgot to look down at the bottom. Thanks.

4. Pharthan

Pharthan Active Member

The light novel/anime "Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei" ("The Irregular At Magic High School") utilizes this. While I've only watched a couple episodes (so forgive me if I butcher this), and that was a while ago, the jist I got was that people had spells programmed for their use; anyone who could use magic could utilize their smartphone like devices essentially as a spell-book, making use of complex spells very simple.