1. TheDarkWriter

TheDarkWriter Active Member

Main Character doesn't show up till the middle

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by TheDarkWriter, Mar 26, 2018.

So this is my problem that I've got here my story isn't really a redemption story it's more of a grey story where nobody is really good or evil. My MC is like a Sauron slash Lich King type villain but he's not out to cause mindless destruction. He's really all about uniting the world to create his version of a utopia.

Now here's my problem the idea is that his minions spend the first part of the book gathering what they need to revive him and he finally returns in the middle. I'm just curious is this too long to wait to introduce him should I start the story off at his revival? The idea is that his legend and his past is told as his minions search for what they need and but I feel that's all information I can give in the introduction.

Also I feel it would drag and instead of build up. So should I go through the whole build up or do I start at the revival?

2. Ksenia Tomasheva

Ksenia Tomasheva Member

you might concider using the flashbacks trick in this situation. Or, in your case it's more correct to call it "flashforward".
    Write the whole revival scene, then split it into several smaller parts, and add the whole minion story between them. So your text will be structured like this:
    a couple of intriguing sentences from the revival scene (flashforward)
    Big piece of story of the minions(past)
    more revival(flashforward)
    more minions(past)
    revival(flashforward)
    minions(past)
    normal story starting from the moment of revival and on (present)

The trick is to keep flashforward parts very short, but intriguing, imagine they are a tiny carrots you put in front of reader's nose, little promices you give. Also, it would be great if you could keep them tied to the minion parts, like a little explanations to where the actions of minions take the story. You've probably seen this trick in movies. I've used it in one of my stories, so can confirm: it really works when done properly ;)

Medazza and Simpson17866 like this.
  3. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

My main character isn't in the first chapter either, but she does show up at the end of chapter 2. I would second the suggestion of flashbacks if your MC would be out of the picture for longer as much longer as you're talking about.

The flashbacks don't even have to be from the MC's POV, but it would help to have them from at least somebody's.

4. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

If I were you, I would try to identify where the story actually starts. Not the background to it, but the actual story.

If you're writing a story about you joining an action group and moving to a third world country to begin important peacekeeping work, you're not likely to spend chapter upon chapter beforehand detailing how your grandmother met your grandfather, and where they lived and worked, and when your parents were born and where THEY worked, and all the places you lived, worked and went to school, etc. Even if this background information impacts on why you've chosen to move to a third world country to work, you won't be dwelling on it for too long. You'll pick out the vital points, then get on with it. The story is about you, and what you do next.

Every single situation everywhere has or has had a background to it. One of the tricks a writer learns is how much of that background is vital, and how much needs to be told about it. Often it's a lot less than you might originally think.

If your story here is mainly about the minions reviving your villainous main character—and his revival brings an end to the story—(He lives, at last! Yikes! The End) then fair enough ...start with the minions doing their thing. However, if the story actually starts with your MC villain revived and raring to go, I'd maybe start close to that point. You COULD start with a minion recalling some (not a lot!) of what it took to get to that point. (Good place for a prologue, but the minion has to be an interesting character, and the premise needs to be intriguing and written in a lively manner.) But think about a good, dramatic start. What would provide that?

A lot depends not so much on what happens, but on how you write about what happens. The minions' state of mind might give fascinating insight into why they want this villain revived. That would be an attention grabber. What does a minion want, and why? That would be one of the first questions I would ask. What would motivate somebody to want to revive a dead villain? That might be a great starting point.

5. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I question whether this guy really is your MC, if he doesn't even show up until half-way through.

Possibly you have an ensemble novel, not a novel with a single MC?

6. DeeDee

DeeDee Contributor Contributor

You can have a story where minions try (and eventually do) revive Sauron/Lich King. That story will focus on the path to revival, the efforts etc. A thing to consider there is that if you spend half a book without Sauron/Lich King, then there has to be another main character there to move the plot along. Have you thought about that?
    And you can have a story where Sauron/Lich King is revived by minions and goes to create utopia. That story will focus on the events after the revival. Those are two different stories, so the question is which one you want to write?

jannert likes this.
  7. Ale

Ale Member

I don't think the main character should show up so late in a story, precisely by the definition of a MC. I agree with the people that said flasback/flasforward devices could fix this, although I personally would start when MC revives, with perhaps a prologue. Plot begins when the MC's status quo is disturbed, everything else is background. If you find the prelude to the revival really important, perhaps you have more than one MC, or MC isn't really the protagonist.
    Good luck!

8. SageMichael

SageMichael New Member

To be honest, yes... I started off in the same camp as most of the responses here. Half way through the book is too late, cut to the chase.

But then it occurred to me that The Mummy didn’t show up til midway through the movie because they had to revive him as well.

Although his effects were felt and seen earlier.

Yes, I know that Brendan Fraser was the Hero and not the eponymous mummy (and that it’s a movie and not a book) but it did make me think that maybe it’s doable.

For example, you might consider showing the far-reaching effects he had prior (obviously there must have been something in order to have earned zealots). It worked in the movie anyway.

I know it’s bad form to bring a Brendan Fraser to a book fight... but I just couldn’t help but try to think of a way out for the OP.

9. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

What's the build up meant to do? What's the purpose of it in relation to the story you're trying to tell? It sounds like a lot of backstory, which could be relayed in a different way. You would also have built up reader expectation of what the MC is supposed to be like - and what is he actually like? Is the reader supposed to contrast the two impressions? Otherwise you risk simply breaking the illusion altogether because your MC might be nothing like how your reader had envisioned him - and how they envision him exactly isn't something you have total control over. It's risky, unless the juxtaposition was something you intended.

Truth is, this is pretty much a no brainer for me. Cut to the chase and start at the revival. Everything can be done in fiction - it's your book. You can do whatever you like. Question is: is it a good idea and, perhaps more importantly, can you pull it off? I'd say a non-traditional way like this would require an experienced writer who knew what they were doing. You could do it as an experiment, for learning purposes, but apart from an experimental piece, it doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Ale likes this.
  10. Privateer

Privateer Senior Member

If he doesn't turn up until the middle then he isn't the main character. He's a very major character, certainly, but who were you following up to that point?

Cave Troll likes this.
  11. Infel

Infel Contributor Contributor

Where is your main character before he's revived? Does he have a consciousness? Is he plotting and scheming even though he's dead?

If he's got a consciousness, it might be really interesting to keep him as the main character before he's revived, orchestrating his own rebirth, recalling past memories, revealing what he did to get himself killed in the first place. I'm sure he's got some inner turmoil to explore, drifting through nothingness for however long he's not had a body. If you do it right, it could set up a scenario where the audience is almost thinking 'oh man, I kinda' hope this guy DOESN'T get revived', only for his minions to do so. You mentioned the Lich King (although I guess there could be a dozen of them), but I think it might be a pretty compelling story to tell of Arthas's fall from Nehr'zul's perspective; that guy planned to betray the legion, I bet there's a handful of good conversations in there, you know?

12. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

If your MC is not there to save the day he is probably just another character.
    If you need the prelude you could have things that would remind them of some point in the past.