1. Deleth

Deleth New Member

Roadblocks

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Deleth, Dec 21, 2011.

So I'm wrapping up chapter 3 in my current project which litterally just came to me about a month ago. As cuh I do not have all the setting details worked out even though the characters and plot are. I've reached a point where I realize that if I've made a slight setting change it would make the story better, however I don't want to have to re-write what I've dont thus far as I feel that I'll loose momentum that I've gotten going thus far.

To clarify, this is the first draft of this story that I've written.

I also feel this change could be made without drastically affecting the overall plot of the previous chapters, just setting and descriptions would need re-written later.

Opinions I need are do I keep pushing through first draft style make the setting change and rewrite the first 3 later? or do I start over?

my OCD is wanting someone to absolve me of this decision lol.

2. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

I guess you can do either way. If you don't feel like rewriting it right now just keep writing, pretending you have already done the changes and come back to it later and fix the first three chapters.

3. DeAnnaClaudette

DeAnnaClaudette New Member

I agree with Tesoro. If you feel like you will lose momentum, just keep going. I understand why it may nag the back of your mind, because I am that way as well. I have this thing about wanting to finish each section as perfectly as possible before moving on, but it is a complete hindrance to my creativity. So, my advice is to don't do a Dee, be a better me! Or something. lol. Good luck.

4. Deleth

Deleth New Member

Thank you both, and yes it will nag at the back of my mind so in my journal for this story I've made a note to come back to it. Which for now has sedated the beast.

Also, DeAnna, your post made me lol.

5. Saul-hudson

Saul-hudson New Member

I have had a problem like this myself. But I tend to find that if all the pieces are there already and only a slight alteration of state is needed then all you really need to do is grab yourself some post-it notes and jot down the ideas you had so they're not lost at the re-write. The same also works if you finish a chapter and think of something you could have included within that chapter once you've written it. Stick a post-it on it. Saves time imo.

But as a side note, I have a novel I'm working on now that was told in the first person, but it wasn't until I was something like four chapters in that I realised it would be better told from another persons point-of-view. Re-writing the same material can be soul destroying - and you may well lose you mojo for the story completely.

6. TeeBee2011

TeeBee2011 New Member

I would keep going while you have the momentum and come back later.

7. Manav

Manav New Member

Well, it is called a first draft because you will definitely have to make changes in later drafts :) So, don't make it bother you and keep writing. Since the changes you want to make is not affecting the plot just keep pushing and don't lose the momentum. You may make a small note (bulleted style) of the changes you want to make just so you don't forget them. Also, you may think the changes you envision will make the story better, but there is no garauntee.

8. Deleth

Deleth New Member

Thanks for the support everyone! What I ended up doing was going back and creating a writing journal for the story. The journal (since I know what the overall plot is in my head) allows me to keep track of changes and tweaks I make to the characters, story, and plot while I write.

As a bonus once the first draft is complete I can compile my list of changes and tweaks in the journal to create a rough outline of what the story -should- be, and go back and do the first edit myself.

Thanks again!

9. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

that was a good idea, I think I should do the same, but a handwritten one :) thanks for the tips. you're right, there are always so many ideas that comes up while writing and it's difficult to keep track of them when you have been writing for a while...