1. fjm3eyes

fjm3eyes Member

Main Character (S)

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by fjm3eyes, Jun 10, 2018.

I'd like to know if there's any difference between a main character and a central character. I've heard there is.

2. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

I'm not familiar with that specific distinction in terminology, but could that be referring to how the main character driving the action of the story is not necessarily the POV character narrating the story, such as Sherlock Holmes and John Watson, or Captain Ahab and Ishmael, or Jay Gatsby and Nick Carraway? (I'm even using that narrative style in my own book.)

Malisky likes this.
  3. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

It's the main character versus the protagonist subject. You might have a first person narration or a third limited, but the person which narrates the story or the person's eyes which the story is narrated by, is focusing over all in the protagonist. The protagonist is also an MC but not a narrator. The author attempts this kind of narration in order to narrate from a preferable POV, yet keep the protagonist somewhat a mystery, especially when it comes to mystery books and he doesn't want to spoil the fun.

This vid helped me a lot.

Linz likes this.
  4. fjm3eyes

fjm3eyes Member

I looked this up n the web, and it seems my post was in error. What I found was that main character and protagonist is the way to frame it. Further, I found out that most often these characters are the same, but they don't have to be. The protagonist drives the story, and supports the main character, who is the focus of the story. I'm a little clearer with this now.

Thank you, Simpson and Malisky, for your comments. They helped.