1. xanadu

xanadu Contributor Contributor

Trying to avoid a plot hole...

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by xanadu, Jul 26, 2018.

OK, fellow writers--I come seeking some advice. I'm quickly approaching a section of my story where I'm not sure exactly how to proceed. Between trying to avoid plot holes, trying to be realistic as regards motivations, and trying to stay logical as far as how something like this would actually shake out, I'd like a second or third or twelfth opinion.

Here's the background:
    1. The story takes place in a resort town on an island. This is real-world, but the island is fictional.
    2. There are two planes of existence: the human plane and the spirit plane. Normal humans and spirits cannot interact with the opposite plane, but actions on one side may affect actions on the other (for example, if the humans cut down all the trees, the spirits will notice).
    3. The MC is a medium (a human who can interact with the spirit plane) and has been recruited to the island by Prism, an organization that works to maintain peace and good relations between the two planes.
    4. They're on the island because there have been reports that regular spirits are crossing into the human plane, something that shouldn't be possible.

So I'm a bit over halfway through the story, and a big event just happened. Basically, there is a faction of spirits native to the island who are unhappy with what's been happening there. To quote Joni Mitchell, the humans are essentially paving paradise to put up a parking lot (complete with the hotels and swingin' hot spots--it is a resort town, after all). This faction of spirits has obtained a way to cross planes, and are escalating closer and closer to terrorism to drive the humans (as well as Prism) off their island. They reached terrorism about a chapter ago.

My MC (as well as three other mediums) are n00bs. They were brought in for research and training, not to fight. But the spirit faction launched a terror attack on a nightclub in the human plane, forcing Prism to fight them in the streets. Four members of Prism, including one of the n00b mediums, were killed in the brawl.

Here's where I need some help.

Prism's location is potentially compromised. They've suffered unexpected casualties. In my mind, the most logical next step for Prism is to order all the n00bs to get off the island for their own safety, which would include my MC.

Obviously, my MC can't actually leave the island, or else there'd be no big fight at the end of the story.

However, even though she was a rebellious teenager, she's old enough now to know that getting off the island is 100% the correct thing for her to do. She doesn't really have much interest in risking her life.

My initial thought was they're sent to the airport to get off immediately, and then the spirit faction attacks the airport--essentially stranding them on the island and forcing them into the climactic fight. But then I doubted myself--why would a faction that wants everyone to get off their island attack the airport?

OK, so maybe Prism calls in a helicopter (or two--there are 12 people who need to get off) to pick them up, and the spirit faction attacks the helicopter site? Then it's just a targeted attack on Prism. I'm thinking this is still the most realistic answer, and I just have to come up with some way that the enemy would get tipped off to make their attack.

But then I start to wonder, why wouldn't the spirits just let them leave? Again, they want people off their island. But I need some way to keep them on the island so they can have their big fight at the end. I also wonder if Prism ordering evacuation is realistic, or if they'd be more inclined to put them in hiding or something.

Grr.

Am I overthinking this? Is the spirit faction attacking Prism an obvious plot hole? I could probably spin it that they dislike Prism on principle because they ally with humans and promote relations between planes (where the spirit faction wants humans eradicated or something), but I'm not sure if that just comes off as a convenient hand wave.

Any thoughts? I have an idea of the way forward (as stated above) but I'm just second-guessing myself a lot. Would help to have an outside opinion for sure. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2. Siberian

Siberian Member

This kinda reminds me of the animated show "Avatar" and "The Legend of Korra".

I can see where the confusion is because 1) The spirit world wants the humans to leave and 2) Prism, as you stated before, is on the island to maintain peace between the two worlds. So, when it comes to the fighting it would make sense for the people to leave because that solves the spirits problem, and Prism stays true to their goal by doing what's best for the people and the spirits. However some ideas for getting your MC's to stay could be:
    • Prism has to fight back because the spirits are attacking people/acting like terrorists. So, Prism ultimately goes into defense mode.
    • Have a motivation for your MC to stay. Maybe one of the noobs gets attacked and she goes back to help them.
    • The spirits have gone past the point of just wanting the people to leave and instead want to take revenge or at least hurt the people as much as the people have hurt them by destroying the environment.
    • If your MC can interact with both planes then maybe this is her shining moment to try and solve the problem. This could be a motivation for her to stay because she feels obligated to maintain the peace since she can connect with them.
    I know you said your MC doesn't have much interest in risking her life so you could show scenes where she realizes that people are getting hurt and thus she feels obligated to do what she can to help. Otherwise your targeted attack on prism idea could work, and one of the spirits (or more) follows a noob to the helicopter landing site and attacks?

I'm just throwing out ideas here to get your mind to think of some new possibilities. I hope this helps!

xanadu likes this.
  3. xanadu

This triggered a new thought--I've been hesitant because my MC isn't the rebellious type (anymore), so she'd have no real motive to buck the evacuation order. But one of the other n00bs absolutely would. So if he goes off and gets into trouble, my MC would definitely have a reason to go back and help. Things can build up from there.

This also means the spirit faction doesn't have to attack Prism, so all that plot hole confusion goes away.

That's exactly what I needed! Thanks :)

Siberian likes this.
  4. Zerotonin

Zerotonin Serotonin machine broke

Alright, I'm thinking alien invasion. The spirits are now fighting the aliens. BUT! The aliens are actually all Jimmy Buffett, who sing the spirits into submission. However, a group of anti-Buffett military hamsters attacks the compound and eats the Jimmies alive! Then everyone sings the song "525,600 Minutes" from Rent and live happily ever after.

For real though, it seems like you have everything figured out now. I'm just a sarcastic piece of shit so I felt it necessary I post here.

xanadu likes this.
  5. xanadu

I've got too much Jimmy Buffett in my island resort town already :bigtongue:

6. Siberian

Siberian Member

Glad I could help :)

7. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I like your solution, a lot. Sometimes I'll write a post asking for a plot idea and writing the post leads me to solve the problem before I hit 'post reply'.

xanadu and Siberian like this.
  8. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Just a thought. The spirits want the humans off the island. But they're going to need to do something to keep them from coming back, right? Just forcing Prism off the island, if Prism is determined to come back when everything cools down, won't work long-term. Is there a solution to this? Would the spirits have a way to 'hide' the island from human eyes, once all the humans are gone?

xanadu and GingerCoffee like this.
  9. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

You could flip things around to be the traditional Evil Corporation plot. The folks trying to pave the island are behind the terror attack, framing the spirits to win the battle of public opinion. The MC figures it out and MC plus all the Prism colleagues become targets--the corporation needs to kill the witnesses. The big fight has the spirits defending Prism from the corporation. If you want people to be trying to take off, the corporation could be kidnapping Prism so that they can kill and dump them over water.

xanadu likes this.
  10. Infel

Infel Contributor Contributor

Alright, I'm up to speed! Good plot summery, hah.

If your MC is going to stay on the island, I personally would like to see her stay because of something subjectively important to her.

I read once that situations like this are supposed to test your characters... well, character. Put your MC in a situation where the smart thing to do is to get the heck off that island; where every bit of logic and safety says LEAVE! BUT! Make leaving the island the worst moral option possible. You mentioned one of the noob mediums was killed, right? Can we make that MC's best friend? Rival but important partner? That way, even if leaving is the best LOGICAL choice, avenging a fallen comrade is the best MORAL choice, and we the audience will really like that a) the MC has made the CHOICE to jump into danger and b) she's made that choice because of something so important to her personally that she's willing to risk the danger. Strong moral character!

Hope that helps a little!

xanadu likes this.
  11. xanadu

It’s so easy to get trapped in your own head with this stuff! Just a couple words from someone who isn’t living the story like you are can be enough to totally change your perspective.

This is something I definitely need to consider. To be clear, Prism is staying on the island—they’re just terminating the training program and sending the n00bs home. But even still, the enemy faction does need to have a long-term plan, and that’s something I haven’t really considered. Thanks!

Actually, this isn’t far off from the truth. I’m tentatively planning to do a sequel, in which it’s revealed that a faction within Prism brought the means of crossing planes to the rogue spirit group, unbeknownst to the greater organization. I still need to develop this further, though.

I like this and am definitely going with something close to it. The death of her friend n00b, I think, is a good way to tip the scale toward staying, especially after the other n00b decides to buck the order and go lone wolf. And with three other members of Prism dead too, I think some of her other teammates would be willing to stay and fight for their own reasons, which would further tip the scale.

I realize I’ve been too focused on the MC without considering her in the larger scope of the whole team. I think that’s the answer.

You guys are great :agreed:

GingerCoffee likes this.