1. Bobby Burrows

Bobby Burrows Banned Contributor

Making humanity the antagonist in my Christmas story about a recluse Santa Claus making a return.

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Bobby Burrows, Oct 29, 2018.

For my Return of Santa Claus story, I'm going to make humanity the antagonist for being naughty and making Santa Claus upset centuries ago, and for now not believing he exists, he's come back to let us know that he's ending his strike because people now don't believe he exists and to let us know he exists but we're even naughtier today.

With politicians in British Parliament not being nice to each other when it's Prime Minister's Questions when it comes to the leader of the opposition and the PM in particular - Santa Claus is going to notice and judge humanity on things like this and even cite that example out of many global examples of humanity not being nice to each other, but, he'd use Westminster as an example, as a shout out to my hometown since it's light hearted yet Santa being Santa took it to heart; before going off on one/ranting about all the things we're doing today on a global scale.
    Like genocide and greed and wars; and explain how we were so naughty hundreds of years ago, Santa Claus went on strike in the face of Colonialism and The Slave Trade, and now he's back, he's saying he's real and that we're all still naughty so he's ending his strike since it didn't work, and we're all still being naughty to each other.

Told by the tool of flashback set in a courtroom setting from when Santa Claus takes the stand, in an American court.
    Prosecution will be a team of lawyers, and they'd be cross examining the defendant, A man who's proved to be of sound mind and telling the truth claiming to be one Santa Claus of the North Pole arrested Long Island because he got distracted on his way to the United Nations and this is now set in a New York City courtroom. The prosecution's questions will explain how Santa Claus came to be in court.
    Santa's answers however, will flashback to centuries ago explaining why he felt he needed to strike, to teach us all a lesson, and stop giving us presents on Christmas day (cliché Coco-Cola red Santa Claus), so his flashbacks will explain Santa which finally gets to when he was arrested for a mishap, minor misunderstanding being a bit rusty with humanity's norms and values and - he was caught trespassing in some home). and... A Christmas Miracle happens (set around the holidays) and everyone believes Santa is real, there is peace on Earth, and Santa is back, and recognized by the judge in a weird turn of events, and he's given American Citizenship and it ends with Santa being happy and everybody accepting Santa is real, and is a public figure for peace on Earth ending.

It's my story of Santa being a recluse who's finally had enough since he's been a recluse so long, people don't even think he's real anymore, but he's going to be aware of global events and everything, and he's going to explain how he became a recluse to teach us a lesson and not give us presents because humankind was being naughty to each other centuries ago - but it never occurred to my Santa that being a recluse would result into humanity thinking he's not real.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  2. Bobby Burrows

I'm going to make humanity a character judged by Santa Claus.

How Bram Stoker's Dracula used a convergence of stories of the monster to describe the monster, humanity's flaws will be a convergence of examples making Humanity the antagonist, forcing Santa Claus to become a recluse in the first place, so, historic reasons since Santa became a recluse centuries ago in my story, so like, Colonialism/The Slave Trade, all of that, Santa Claus will cite as reasons to teach humanity by denying us gifts since we were so naughty; but now he's back, because people now think he doesn't exist, and we have more wars and people still are being naughty to each other, and it seems him not giving us presents isn't working.

3. seira

seira Member

I think that sounds like an awesome idea and very original.

4. StarFyre

StarFyre Member

That sounds fun, I'd definitely read it. ^^

5. Bobby Burrows

I plan to start off as Santa Claus taking the stand, but will have to write my way to my starting point lol.

So I'm working on giving Santa Claus lie detector tests and brain scans and blood tests and is proved sane and not lying and his blood proves ground breaking, he is believed enough to be taken to trial as Santa Claus over charges of trespassing with and is received with wide skepticism as Santa Claus gets to be told his story, and a media storm if I'm up to it.

It's set in the New York City area now, am thinking, Princeton in New Jersey would be great to test my Santa Claus since Princeton also majors in biology and, happens to be in town/close by.
    I want to do a quick fly by telling, I don't want to go into too much detail as I want to keep this for the family market.

And this is going to be the precursor to my flashback story.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  6. Bobby Burrows

My Santa will be
    preachy.
    How do I do this?
    Do I just have Santa Claus being preachy by dialogue alone?
    I was going to give examples of what Santa Claus will preach about, but, I don't know how to show that to the characters, so, I'm resorting to dialogue.

It's going to have to be well written, funny/witty/intelligent and it's going to have to be entertaining, and, for the point of my morality story, preachy.
    And it's going to rely on writing flashbacks and dialogues and story telling, opposed to my first idea of just flashbacks and wrap around dialogues and showing examples of things to be preachy about.

7. Bobby Burrows

I'm going to cheat on the flashbacks, I'm going to ask it, begin to answer it and write the flashback and end it back in the courtroom and I'd write that the courtroom heard and understand that; either by laughing or shock or whatever; and... I could use dialogue to explain why Santa is in court...

And Santa's testimony will be how I'd voice my Santa being preachy.
    So, I'm thinking dialogue, and maybe reference; so when Santa says it, the reader'd read the example of it/audience will see it, and then they read/see that that courtroom understood too.

8. NateSean

NateSean Senior Member

I think you should spend more time writing it than planning it out. I make that mistake all the time of spending more time plotting it out and thinking of every little detail, so that when I finally sit down at the computer, I find I can't write anything. In my head it's all done and I'm frustrated trying to catch up with a brain that can work faster than my hands can type.