1. Anonym

Anonym New Member

Making it real.

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Anonym, Feb 11, 2011.

Has anyone else ever felt that by discussing their stories, world, characters, ect with other people, their work is... actualized in a way? Made more real & independant from themself?
    Not that it isn't tangible or 'real' while submerged in the incubatory, prenatal recesses of the authorial mind or that a work of art ever truly becomes seperate of its creator, but rather that positive outside recognition reaffirms the unique & self-sufficient, stand-alone worth of a piece, as distinct from, but still a part of oneself... eh, I'm having trouble wording it.

I can't help but think of some of the paintings I've done. Standing in the gallery, essentially anonymous, watching fellow human beings absorbing not only the better part of what I meant to imply, but what those implications mean to them personally, how it fits into their lives... it seems to give the work 'life' in a way, by making it bigger than myself... a vehicle of emotional stimulation/inspiration for the enrichment of my brethren - beyond my own pretenses of personal expression or recognition.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, personally, this sense of... creation, is probably the greatest satisfaction I reap from the art of the word, & wonder if this motivation is poignant to all writers, or only wierdos like myself.

Yeah, that's it pretty much. Thanks.

2. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I guess I see what you're saying - sharing it with others brings it out of your head, introduces it to the world. Makes it seem more official in a way.

However, the only true way to make it official is to actually write it. ;)

3. Anonym

Anonym New Member

I was presuming it was already written, in line w/ my painting analogy. Actuality rather than officiation, per se.

Glad to hear someone empathizes tho :)

4. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Oh, you mean letting another person read your work for the first time?

I've never really seen it that way - however I do love sharing work and ideas with fellow writers, because it's fun to exchange ideas and I usually greatly expand my plots when I do this. (Sharing unfinished work with non-writers just feels like I'm exposing myself, though. Not sure why, I'm just not as comfortable with it, unless the work is finished.)

5. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Yes I get where you are coming from - when you share the work and allow people to read the stories it is like they begin to breathe on their own - its kind of like the difference between being pregnant and giving birth. When others start reading your stories you start to count all the fingers and toes and realise its all there.

6. litchickuk

litchickuk New Member

I've never really considered such a philosophical angle to writing. I can see what youre saying - Elgaisma's birth analogy works well - but isnt the central point of what youre saying about your need for validation? That only by others reading it, its proof that you have done and can do it, therefore validating you and your work, making it real? Or have I got the wrong end of your philosophical stick?

7. KurtistheTurtle

KurtistheTurtle New Member

I think I understand what you mean. When you paint something, or write a book, you create a real space behind that medium. A world others can touch and interact with. While you may have created it, you don't control it any longer. Others can invest in it, think about it and explore it.

Yes, that is actually my ultimate goal too.

8. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

For me the joy comes when other people bond with my characters and see things in my stories. I would love to get to the point where I can relax and let other people play in my world and write stories based on it. There is enough space in it for more than just one author to write using it and the characters. I don't realistically have enough life in me to explore it properly.

I have written some short plays/sketches/dialogues with some of the characters I would love to see come to life.

I have a blast writing but more than anything I do it for people to read, to entertain to transfix. I am a more experienced reader than I am writer - I would love to give back a portion of what I have got out of storytellers over the years. So yes the validation I feel when my work does that with people is great. However for me writing is merely a vehicle for my stories - I love taking the same characters and making scripts with them etc