1. ruskaya

ruskaya Contributor Contributor

making list app/software

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by ruskaya, Jun 11, 2021.

I make lots of lists when writing (for plotting, setting character traits/events, sourcing material, and more) to develop a story and keep track of progress while writing. I have my own system. As I constantly move items up-and-down within a list and back-and-forth from one list to another, I am looking for some making-lists program where I can simply grab and drop items within a list and, especially, across lists. I need one for both Windows and Linux.

Can anyone help?

2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I don't know if this would help you, but I found a nice way to use Tables for a beat sheet (which is a list). Evernote is free and I use it all the time, but you can make interactive tables like this in many programs, probably in whatever word processing software you're already using. The really helpful part is the way you can just grab any item by the handle and move it up or down the list, just drag and drop it where you want. I think to move to a different list you'd need to copy/paste it in though.

I did a little writeup about it here.

Edit—I see now that you said "Especially across lists". Tables don't seem to allow for that very well, sorry. As I said above, you could copy an item and paste it into another list, and it's easy to create a new blank cell wherever you want to paste it into. Ultimately that might be as easy as anything else you're going to find, but I don't know.

If you want any more info I'd be happy to help as much as I can.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    ruskaya likes this.
  3. ruskaya

ruskaya Contributor Contributor

I was trying to find a video that I saw months ago in which someone was using an apple tablet and was dragging things up and down like I mentioned. But I can't remember what the video was about so I couldn't find it. I wanted to show you what I wanted. :cry:

All the same, thanks so much for wanting to help :cheerleader:

Xoic likes this.
  4. Glen Barrington

Glen Barrington Senior Member

Tree Database software, also sometimes called Wiki-like, is what you are looking for. You might want to consider Tomboy-ng, Cherry Tree, and Zim software. These are free and open-source software with versions for both Linux and windows.

Below is a link to popular Linux note taking software. Few of them offer both cross platform Linux and Windows compatibility, but many can import/export to the two versions.

22 Best Open Source Linux Note Takers - LinuxLinks

If TRUE seamless cross platform compatibility is required, you may need to consider a Web based app. Most of these are paid, but do have some limited free versions. The two I'm most familiar with is OneNote (Microsoft, always free), and Notion (Notion, paid/free). Both run within a browser environment, and will work on any platform (Windows, Chrome OS, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS)

9 Best Note Taking Apps Of 2021 | Free & Paid Tools (hive.com)

Technically the next one is Novel Writing software, but it can be used for note taking as well. It is called Wavemaker Cards. It uses a Card based User interface with a simple word processor attached. It has MANY ways to store notes that you might find useful, and will work on any platform that has access to a Chrome based browser. And has several ways to change note order via drag and drop

All data is stored on Google Drive, and can be accessed from any platform version. I have abandoned Scrivener 3 for Windows in favor of this. I find it most useful since I can use it in Windows, Android tablets, and Linux. It's FREE BTW.

https://wavemaker.cards

wavemakercards (reddit.com)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
  5. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

Possibly Microsoft OneNote? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_OneNote

There isn't a Linux version, but there is an on-line version, and it's free. I can't recommend it because I have never tried using it, but I know it's out there and it's on my list of things to look at if I ever have the time to do so.

6. fivetoesten

fivetoesten Member

How about mind mapping software? I use Freeplane.

7. Oscar1

Oscar1 Member

Not a fan of excel? Spreadsheets are great for lists, and LibreOffice and similar clones are both for win and linux and free