1. Tim3232

Tim3232 Active Member

Waiting

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Tim3232, Oct 28, 2015.

Not sure where to put this.

Well, I had an agent request for a full ms late on Friday. I’m keeping my hopes in check … but it’s Wednesday. Don’t they work over the w/e? I’ve taken another look at chapters 4 on and can see nothing but faults. And while my 1st 3 chapters and synopsis had a proper cover sheet with address and phone number on it, my full ms didn’t. And I’ve googled and reckon the odds are between 30 and 60 to 1 that an agent stays with a writer from full submission to publication. But this is a good agent.

I’m keeping my hopes in check and I’m telling myself that this is another milestone reached even after I’ve been rejected. Do I want to receive the rejection mail as soon as possible and just move on to the next novel, or while I’m waiting should I feel there is still a chance, so the longer i wait the better.

Is it taking this long because their reader has read the lot, prepared some notes and I’m waiting for the agent to read it all and come back to me. Or is my name on the list of people to send full ms rejections to – which they do at the end of the week. I’m keeping my hopes in check. But I check my mail regularly. Can I shut my laptop down for a while?

Geez – this is me keeping my hopes in check. It’s hardly like I’m going to win the lottery is it? But then …

2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

You're expecting them to have read an entire manuscript in two-and-a-bit working days? I think you need to lower your expectations. :D

They will get back to you as soon as they can - why would they delay? - so this is a 'sign' that they haven't finished reading yet, and nothing more.

3. Jackie B

Jackie B New Member

Congratulations. You have managed to get something most of us just dream of. A reputed agent is interested in your story and has asked for a full.

Be patient. And as a very wise friend told me, while waiting for replies, work on your next novel.

All the very best. I do hope it works for you.

4. Tim3232

Tim3232 Active Member

Thanks Jackie,
    I received a what looked like a standard thanks but no thanks yesterday. Sent it to two more agents today. It's a step in the right direction. Working on the next right now.

5. Tim3232

Tim3232 Active Member

I've had another request for a full - to go with my 19 rejections to date. I have 8 others outstanding, half of those so old that they must have no interest - even though they say they will reply in 4- 6 weeks or however long.

The two requests for a full have been 2 & 4 days after submission and the one that declined but with a little feedback and expression of future interest took 2 weeks. It would be interesting to know how agencies work and I suppose they are all going to work differently. You can see that some employ readers and/or assistants to agents. That's less apparent with others.
    I don't suppose I should generalise but (I'm sort of going to) I get the impression, from my little experience and from seeing snippets on how quickly agents have grabbed successful novels, that maybe submissions get a quick look to see if anything jumps out as having commercial potential. If it doesn't jump out then maybe it falls to the slushpile and gets a second, cursory look later - with the expectation of rejection.
    Perhaps I'll run thru my s/s and mark any submissions older than 3 weeks as a no. Then again, 8 o/s does make me feel better.

6. Tenderiser

You're doing great to get requests for fulls, seriously.

The ones who haven't replied - it's acceptable (recommended, even) practice to chase them up. If they say 4-6 weeks I'd probably give them seven and then send a polite email, reminding them of your and your MS's names and the date you submitted.

I've never worked for an agent but my guess is similar to yours - queries are probably read very soon after they come in, and sent into the 'slush pile' unless they sound particularly good. So it sounds like you have a good query. :)

7. Tim3232

Tim3232 Active Member

mmm... perhaps I haven't been clear. Only 2 have been requests for a full.

All the rejections and o/s are simply submissions. I'm not going to chase up submissions - they get hundreds a week and won't appreciate everyone (anyone) chasing their standard rejection. I don't think that's accepted or recommended - but perhaps you thought i was referring to full ms returns.

Thanks anyway (seriously). And after the 1st request for a full - I have used more or less the same query with a further round of subs - with a little tinkering personal to the agent. Though it's a plain query, so hopefully it's the actual writing that's getting attention. This last one was based on 5 chapters - a reasonable sample. I think I posted elsewhere, that I read that with a full ms, agents look for a reason for rejection. That would be what one agent said, but they are still looking at loads and few get thru' so I suppose they have to be ruthless.

8. Tenderiser

No, I get that.

It IS acceptable to chase for a standard submission - i.e. a query and the first three chapters, or whatever it is they ask that you send in the first instance - if you hear nothing. If they send a standard rejection then yes, don't reply and badger them for more, but if you hear nothing it is totally fine to send a polite reminder.

From what I read, they look for a reason to reject at EVERY stage of the process. You're getting through quite a few stages before they find a reason, which is certainly something to be proud of!

9. wellthatsnice

wellthatsnice Active Member

All great advice. To piggyback, i would also say that when possible on the "thanks but no thanks" replies that OP see if they can get any additional feedback from the agent on the reason for the rejection. Many times they might give you nothing, but there really is no better information than the feedback of someone who reads and evaluates manuscripts for a living. You might find out some edits that could make you more appealing in future submissions.

10. goodgosh

goodgosh New Member

mmmmm, we get it!

11. Tim3232

Tim3232 Active Member

Thanks @goodgosh. Nice first post.