Making navigation of blackholes possible

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by retardis, May 3, 2021.

1. Storysmith

Storysmith Senior Member

A helicopter hovers by having a force on it that offsets its weight. There is no force big enough to perform the same trick inside a black hole's event horizon. Even if you had an infinite force that accelerated you to the speed of light (ignoring all the problems with physics that would give you), you'd still be going too slow not to hit the singularity.

Personally, since we don't have a way to do this, I'd invent a device or effect and not explain how it works. Just name it after its inventor. "The Spielman Device" or something like that.

2. Stephen1974

Stephen1974 Active Member

Yes, in reality, but not in sci-fi, thats the point here isnt it?? someone wanted an imaginary way to do it, I imagined a way to do it. Its the WHAT IF that makes science fiction so fun. Science fiction thinks up the "impossible" and 50, 60, 100, 200 years later, someone makes it posible. How long did people dream about flying before it became a possibility - oh you cant do that they said... survey says uh-errr.

3. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I can answer some of the physics.

You can orbit a black hole just above it's event horizon without dropping into it, but getting just up against it puts you in a position where all of your worldliness end up in the center of the black hole. The space under the event horizon is just regular space, and for a supermassive black hole like the one in the galaxy's core, you wouldn't even notice you passed the event horizon. As you get closer and closer to the singularity at the beginning, it's just empty space that you can freely navigate. You can go in all directions, but space itself is flowing towards the center. It's like being on a boat in a river. You can move however you want, but ultimately there overall course is determined by the movement of the water you're on. As you got closer, the difference in gravity between one end of your spaceship and the other becomes so much that everything will just get ripped apart at an atomic level. For stellar sized black holes, you'd get ripped apart before even getting close to the event horizon by the tidal forces. Tiny black holes shouldn't exist, they may have at one point, but they're unstable and should have all exploded by now.

You can use close flyby's for their relativistic effects though. Famously, Hans Solo brags about doing some run in X parsecs, which is a unit of distance. It's like saying you ran the one mile in 20 yards. The thing is, near a blackhole, you can dilate space in this way.

Homer Potvin likes this.
  4. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Welcome back!

newjerseyrunner likes this.
  5. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Thanks, I'm honored you remember me. I've haven't been on the internet at all much in months. Too much fun stuff outdoors, but going back to work will bring me back to regular life :p

Homer Potvin likes this.
  6. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Dude, every time you post I know that the Question Has Been Answered. Factually at least, but what follows is handwaving and justification. Or shameless flattery, YMMV :)

Homer Potvin likes this.