1. Millamber

Millamber Senior Member

Making the infeasible, feasible?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Millamber, Apr 3, 2017.

Hi All,

I was just wondering, if you have an idea/plot you want to work on, but one of the main premises for why someone/some people are where they are, seems a bit infeasible (funny considering it's a fantasy piece) do you try and make it feasible, change it entirely, or roll with it?

I wanted to start something that, in my head, went mage/someone else travel between different worlds (in a fantasy setting, not sci fi) through portals/a forest of portals, and they're after something/someone. I had an idea that they're out to capture certain people, criminals really, but I can't see how/why that'd even be feasible.

There's the issue of how they'd know where people were, how would they know they were criminals in the first place, etc..I like the premise and some subsequent plot points I've come up with, but I can't see how it could be feasible and not sound OTT far-fetched

Am I maybe just over analysing things too, and I should just write and see what happens...

2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

1/ If they're in pursuit of criminals, some crime must have been committed (or been predicted, as in Minority Report); so the people they're pursuing may not be the actual criminals, but they ARE wanted for questioning. (You don't usually chase potential witnesses THAT hard, though!) If they're seriously suspected of being the criminals, there must be some evidence that convinces the authorities of that.

2/ If they don't know WHERE the suspects are, there needs to be some way of short-listing potential targets. Star Trek usually uses an Ion Trail left by the warp engine. Something similar every time you go through a portal; or, how about you have to show your passport every time you go through? How long does it take to establish that John Doe flew from Chicago to Buenos Aires by querying the computer? What tech are you using? If it's fantasy, you've probably got a hand-written entry in a hard-cover book.