1. MackenzieGirl

MackenzieGirl Banned

Help with Character Feelings! PLEASE

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by MackenzieGirl, Jun 30, 2018.

Warning: topic contains elements of suicide
    So I am in the process of writing a high fantasy novel. I have most of the characters, and stuff worked out; but I have a couple of problems, this one is one of the big ones.

Jasson (Jawson), the 15 year old rightful king, and rebellion leader, also one of the would be heros. Becomes completely paralyzed, (He was hit on the upper back with a sword, by one of the bad guys). After 6 months of being unable to move, and unable to do anything on his own. Jasson asks his twin sister Skye to help him commit suicide. (Yes I know his death will fall under the term assisted suicide.) What I am having trouble with is the feelings of both characters.

Jasson knows what he wants. The idea of continuing to live in his present state is unbearable. However Jasson is afraid to leave Skye alone, (they have only one another) to lead the rebellion on her own. He also is afraid to appear week, by asking Skye for release. Jasson also didn't want to be remembered for this alone.

Skye is not exactly surprised by her twins request. But she is unsure, and by it. She is unsure of how to react to such a request, especially from he brother. Who she has always viewed as the strongest, smarter, and braver, of the two of them. But she also understands why Jasson is asking this of her. In other words, Skye is frightened, confused and unsure of what to say, or do.

I am finding it difficult to find a way to get these emotions on to paper. PLEASE HELP ME!

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I tend to work these things out by writing scenes. So you could try a variety of possibilities, and write the scenes.

1) Skye determinedly dismisses the idea. Jasson is just depressed, he's just sad, he's going to get over it, and he needs to just stop talking about this! And snap out of it! Shut up shut up shut up I'm leaving until you can be sensible!

2) Maybe Skye is sad and grieving but totally cooperative. What would that look like?

3) Maybe Skye pretends to be totally cooperative, but tells Jasson that she refuses to take action for another six months, but she's lying--she has no intention of helping to kill him.

4) The same as the above, except she's not lying.

5) ????

jannert likes this.
  3. Nariac

Nariac Contributor Contributor

I came in here to offer advice but it seems a certain Chicken has summed up everything I was going to suggest!

Heed her wisdom.

4. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Have you googled for personal experiences? There should be plenty of personal accounts of those who have considered euthanasia, as well as people who have carried it out. I find the best way of understanding these emotions is, of course, to read about them.

I literally typed in "euthanasia story" and these two links popped up:

https://www.dignityindying.org.uk/why-we-need-change/personal-stories/

http://time.com/5179977/assisted-suicide-couple-death/

You can't hope to write or understand these emotions without either personal experience or reading about them. Now I hope you never have personal experience of this, so... you gotta read :)

Linz likes this.
  5. X.x.V.x.X

X.x.V.x.X Member

I agree with @Mckk completley. I have thought of a few lines you could put in there too:

I felt like I had already committed suicide, felt like I was dead. (Jasson)
    I wasn't sure what to expect as I always knew it was on the spectrum but Jasson was always the strongest, the leader. If he fell at this hurdle, do I have any hope? (Skye)

I hope this helped just a little about what the kind of thing should be that you write.

X.x.V.x.X

Linz and Nariac like this.
  6. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I love story dilemmas like these. Unless Jasson is miraculously cured (I presume this won't happen?) this is what I would call an insoluble problem. It's a problem that the characters must deal with, but can't 'solve.' This is very realistic and great story fodder. We all get stronger by learning to deal with loss. Jasson has lost his mobility. Skye will lose her brother, or her brother's trust, depending on what she chooses to do.

I would get it clear in your own head what you think will happen. Use @ChickenFreak 's excellent list of choices, and play these scenarios out in your head. Which one takes your story where you think it should go?

Just thinking slightly outside the box. Skye could decide to kill her brother, as he's asked her to ...but outside events prevent that from actually happening. Later on, they could both rethink their positions? She might regret not having done what her brother asked her to? Or he could regret forcing her into an impossible choice. Or they could both accept that it was lucky chance that he's still alive. All sorts of possiblities. Maybe try not to do the predictible thing, whatever that might be.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    Linz and GlitterRain7 like this.
  7. GlitterRain7

GlitterRain7 Galaxy Girl Contributor

I think your problem may be that you don't know how you want to proceed. Does he die? Does she cooperate with him? Does he end up accepting his new disability? The things that could happen next are limitless. Look about this as a whole. What do you want from this book? What do you want from these characters? Different choices the characters make could lead to different lessons learned by the reader.
    Once you decide for sure what happens, it will be easier to understand their emotions because you'll know for sure what's happening, even though the characters themselves probably won't know what will happen. These are things that you just have to sit there and get into your characters' heads to see.

jannert likes this.