Tags:
  1. SilverWolf0101

SilverWolf0101 Active Member

Male Elf Names... HELP

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by SilverWolf0101, Mar 12, 2010.

Yeah, the most hated problem of all has finally got the better of me. I NEED A NAME. Usually I can handle finding/thinking up a name for a character as if it was nothing at all. But then I found I had a problem, I can't think up a name for one of my characters.

It doesn't seem THAT bad really, and honestly it wouldn't be, there's just one problem. The character is mixed between two races. He has a werewolf mother and an elven father, and it was his elven father that named him.

So yeah, here's my issue. I can't seem to find a good sounding elven name for said character. I'd avoid it if I could, but it's WAY too important to do so. Any ideas/help?

Oh and to make it easier I have a description of the character's personality:
    He's pretty young in werewolf and elven standards, but despite that, he's actually VERY intelligent. Although he's a half-blood he believes himself to be a pure werewolf because that is where he is most accepted. He's kind but mysterious, plays innocent when he's really not. He often hides his true feelings and has never been known to loose his temper. He speaks in the old terms "thee, ye, thou, etc." Plus he tends to notice everything, he's very observant and can easily read people.

That's really all you learn about him in the book(s), well until he tells his student/love the truth. Which is why I need a name T.T Any ideas would be very much appriciated.

2. jacklondonsghost

jacklondonsghost New Member

It really depends on your world. What are some of the other kinds of names you have? Is it a fantasy world or a copy of our world with fantastic elements involved? Where is he from? What kind of names do the other werewolves/elves have?

I can maybe give suggestions but I don't know what sort of name would even fit. Maybe helpful would be to make a list of names you already have, create something in the same sort of style, and make sure it doesn't end in 's' or sound the same as/start with the same letter as any of your other names.

3. Tall and Weird

Tall and Weird New Member

I've found that the Grey Company's Elven to English dictionary to be quite useful when trying to come up with names.

You probably won't want to use the words themselves but you might be inspired by a great big list of Elven words.

Either way, it's better than the method my friends and I once used to come up with a name for an Elf in a roleplaying game.

"I need an Elven name!"
    "Elven names have lots of Rs and Ls."
    "R and L?"
    A brief pause and Arundel was born.

4. Tigress

Tigress New Member

Try looking through the Seventh Sanctum. I don't generally use the names as they are presented, but I do find it invaluable for helping me create names when I'm stuck. And not just elven names... the monster section is fantastic, too. :)

5. Anders Backlund

Anders Backlund New Member

For fantasy names, I have a method you could try.

First of all, decide how many syllables the name should have. This is important for finding the right rythm.

Then, picture either the character in question, or another character confronting him. It helps if you put them in a dramatic situation.

Finally, imagine the pictured character boldly and passionately shouting the name.

More often then not, the first name I think of when doing this is the name I'm looking for, or it's close enough that I can figure it out with a few more attempts.

6. De La Chretiens

De La Chretiens New Member

Taken already. Its from Icewind Dale, the ArchDruid of Kuldahar is named Arundel, and he is no elf. LOL.

Elves...

I just ripped elven names off Tolkien when I started my blood elf paladin in World of Warcraft. - Aldarion

I also like Eldar names (Wh40k), and I named my female Blood Elf mage Idranel(From DOW2)

7. jmar2

jmar2 New Member

I too write fantasy and I try to follow some basic language rules. When you begin your world, you get to decide how naming conventions work. Will you add "son" to Ander to indicate Ander's son. Will you add another "s" to indicate grandson, (Andersson)? Will your family structures use Van to indicate a direct male linkage as in Gregor Van Ander. Will you combine the two, Gregor Van Anderson?

Whatever path you take, the main ''rule" to follow is consistency. If the males of your elven world all use three syllable names, then you need to create one with three syllables.

As a gentle suggestion, I always see the wee folk as natural beings, living in harmony with their world and whenever possible, with humans. As such, I give mine soft harmonious names, names that whisper on the wind, names that are hard to hear for knowing a name gives power.

Hope that helps,

John

8. Cardboard Tube Knight

Cardboard Tube Knight New Member

I would try to avoid the Tolkienian naming tropes, just as they seem to be done so often that when someone hears the a name that seems like one of them they think Elves. Sometimes its good to have a level of familiarity in a story, but it might be nice to have something different, even if not radically, from the norm.

Anyway, I suck at names.

9. OPTiiMUM

OPTiiMUM New Member

Firstly, look at the world you are writing about, make sure the name would sound familiar in that environment and alongside the other names.

Secondly, take a look at names from similar books or films, maybe not exactly copying, but merely reading names used in other novels can be a big source of inspiration.

10. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

See I knew that name sounded familiar, still a nice name though :p

11. ToxicWaste

ToxicWaste New Member

You said your character is a half-breed who feels more closely associated to his wolf side, why do you want him to have an elf name? Why not give him a wolf name with an elfish twist or visa versa?

12. SilverWolf0101

As I said before, it was his elven father who named him and gave him an elven name. Thus my search for an elven name that would suit the character.

13. ToxicWaste

ToxicWaste New Member

Does your MC feel like he belongs in anyone place or with anyone people? Or does he feel like an outsider everywhere, if only just a little, even amongst the wolves?

14. Stormieeyes

Stormieeyes New Member

Here is my shot at helping... if that is what you want to call it.... (like I know what I am doing)

Arnion

Malldhor

Handanu

Aranu

Ollon

Bréganu

Helegon

Gardeth

Arkash

15. B-Gas

B-Gas New Member

What does elf mean in your story?

Are they really ludicrously traditional elves that live in forests, use bows, live forever and worship nature?

Are they desert traders that use iron weapons, don't need to drink water and dress in piecemeal outfits made of cow-hide?

Are they crazy nudists, more renowned for their loud singing and constant drinking than for their spirituality?

We need to define terms, here. We can't help you think of an elf name if your "elf" isn't the same as our "elf."

16. Oblivion

Oblivion New Member

I don't know too many, but take this one i used it for my charector in Oblivion.

Elmern
    Sheldon
    Ayelite
    Halmyell
    Hammafell

17. black-radish

black-radish New Member

What kind of elves are we talking about?

In my novel the 'name giving' depends on their parents..

Say: Mother is Lewin, Father: Samor

If it's a boy they put the first part of the father and second part of the mother's name... and if it's a girl vica versa..

So when it's a girl: Lemor, when it's a boy: Samin

Then you can make it very cliché: "I'm Samin, son of Samor.."

I haven't figured out what to do when they would have two sons yet.. Maybe just call him Samin jr. ;) But if anyone has idea's about this I'd love to hear :)

Anyway, just thought up these names out of the top of my head.

18. MELANIE!

MELANIE! New Member

elf names

you should name him bristol

thatd be bad ass! id read ur story then:D

19. Rechar

Rechar New Member

First idea is most left field. Elves typically are long lived (immortal in some cases) and i'll assume your's follow that trait.

Generally the longer a species lives, the lower their offspring count, so simply have elven couples (who mate for life) limited either socially or physiologically to one child.

Now physiologically you could simply claim the birth of a child results in some hormone which sterilizes.

Socially things get more tricky. You will have to generate scenario's that happen when couples produce more than one child, delve into why this convention exists etc.

You could always combine the two, parents become sterile after giving birth due to the eating/drinking of something during a birth ceremony.

Second you could have a prefix or suffix which identifies multiple children...even what order they are born in, something which wouldn't be out of place for a long lived race; their age is something that makes them superior so placing emphasis on your station in society and the family with a naming convention makes sense.

For example this set has fathers first syllable (to denote male), mothers second (as filler) then a third to signal their order of birth (in this set, or = second, ar = third, al = forth).

Samin is the son of Samor and Lewin.
    Saminor is the second son.
    Saminar is the third son.
    Saminal is the fourth son.

This would lead to confusion with names (as they would all potentially sound identical) but could be easily be transposed between every family.

Lots more other possibilities, more than happy to talk about them in detail if you like. :)

20. jonathan hernandez13

jonathan hernandez13 Contributor Contributor

Ahem...as the resident mythology buff I have to add this since no one else did

Elves are from Norse mythology, your boy needs a Norse name

Tolkien used a similar approach with the names of LOTR, many names (like Eowyn for example) are old english derived, and I don't care what anybody says, Angle-ish is as germanic as it is latin influenced. >_>

It just really boils my bubble when fantasy purely invents names out of the blue when there are often names associated with the myths they're derived from.

My two cents:cool:

21. Rechar

Rechar New Member

Problem is Fantasy is well, fantasy...not historical recreations of Pagan Mythology. Just because the earliest (and sketchiest) information we have on Elves comes from Norse mythology doesn't mean we have to follow those rules.

There is nothing wrong with creating your own names (aslong as they follow a naming convention so stand up to scrutiny), infact thats much more preferable in my view than just Copy and pasting a few names from legend as it illustrates an Authors dedication and creativity.

Do you want stale and repetitive fantasy based on the same concepts...or wonderful creativity?

22. jonathan hernandez13

I have no problem with inventing, but no one here invented Elves, did we?

and BTW I never said you can't make up your own names, I just wanted to add my own two cents, Elves should have Norse names:cool:

23. SilverWolf0101

In the end he chooses to live his life embracing his werewolf blood, but until then he basically lives his life day by day without claiming either side as his bloodline.

The elves I'm using is the traditional long ear, elegant bodied beauties of nature. They wear materials made from nature itself, they live in the greatest forests beyond human reach. The basic idea with a few of my own twist.

I did not know that, thanks that'll really help when I consider a final name.

I'm glad to answer any and all request, if it helps me figure out a name for my character then I'll give you a full body workout ><.

24. jonathan hernandez13

You are very welcome and good luck!;)

25. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I'd argue that the name shouldn't be chosen to reflect the character's personality, but instead to reflect the character's father's idea of who he wanted his son to be.

Not that that gets you any closer to a specific name, I realize. :)