1. BadCrow

BadCrow Member

Plot development for my novellete

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by BadCrow, Feb 29, 2016.

Hello there,

I'm currently working on a small Novellete as a warmup exercise before i tackle my book. Now the Novellete takes place in the same world as my book and is a very important event which leads to the situation the world is in, once my book starts.
    I am doing my fourth pass over my story (currently 14k words) and would like to hear your opinions about the compostion of this piece.

The finished piece will most likely be too big for the site (if i remember the rules correctly), so i will be posting parts of it where I am unsure of the quality of the work.

The plot is divided into multiple parts, namely:
    The beginning: you follow a young girl and her father which are currently out in the city to listen to the emperors speech about the end of the great war and get a view in the personal life of teh emperor (5k words)

middle part: The new gods meet and discuss what they are going to do with a problem they have encountered. You hear the main players at that time and see what they are alike. They engage the problem and you get to see the battle from both sides point of view. 8k words

end part: The aftermath of what happened, a young general is confronted with the suffering the actions of the military has casued among his people. 2k words

The beginning is pretty much done. Only thing left is to do a spelling and grammar check... which a friend of mine will do.

Characters which will be in the story (might be a bit much, not all of them appear but all of them are mentioned):
    Cecilia (the young girl) and her father (nameless and not that important)
    Alaric (the emperor)
    Edrial (a older goddess of wisdom)
    Lucifer (god of fire)
    Micheal (god of war)
    Gabriel (god of earth)
    Uriel (Goddess of shadow, light and dark)
    Winter (General of the Godslayers and commander of the main Infantry, male)
    Autumn (Archmage of the Godslayers, male)
    Summer (Leader of the shocktroopers, female)
    Spring (Leader of the army sappers/engineers, female)
    Monky (Supreme Commander of the Godslayers, Champion of death, a monkey)
    Erik (God of death and first human to claim Godhood)
    Tulius (General of the imperial army, father of Aurelius)
    Aurelius (field promoted General, character for the end part)

2. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Are you looking for critique on the novella itself (i.e. your writing) or on the plot/characters/world?

3. BadCrow

BadCrow Member

I'm looking for any critic that comes to mind while reading this. Plot, characters and world would be great but i dont't believe i gave enough detail for a specific critique.
    most importantly for now however is the strucutre of the novellete.
    Is the amount fo characters overkill? Should i change the length of the parts? should i simplify the story?

4. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

I don't see what the three parts have to do with each other. Is the emperor or his personal life important in the later parts? Are the girl and her father? I also don't see why all the characters are necessary - for such a relatively short piece, having all these named gods and commanders seems a bit busy to me. But here's the thing - we don't have context. It's difficult to make any criticism of something that all we know about is "there's a girl, and an emperor, and some gods meet to talk about something, then there's a battle, and a guy deals with the horrors of war". In context, maybe I could see how important the character of Cecilia is, why every god you mentioned really needs to be there, get a sense of the world, or offer advice on which part could use some trimming and which could use expanding, but this is just disjointed information. If you wanted to outline your plot maybe someone could give some opinions.

5. BadCrow

BadCrow Member

Now that you mention it, i guess it is hard to understand my way of thinking here. Seems like i got caught up with the writting.
    I will come up with a proper explanation of the plot and open a new thread once I have done so.
    Sorry for not thinking enough about it before posting something :p