1. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

Manuscript formatting question

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by LordKyleOfEarth, Dec 28, 2009.

I use OpenOffice 3 to write and recently found an issue which I cannot solve. When following standard manuscript format I should have a header with page numbers on all pages after the first. I can only get my headers on all pages.

1) Is it an issue? Will editors really decline or frown upon my short story over this?

2) Is it possible to omit the first page from my header settings?

Thanks for the help,
    Kyle

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I don't know OpenOffice, but Microsoft Word can set a different header and footer for te first page of a section, or you can place a section break after the cover page. Sections can either have their own header and footer, or inherit from the previous section.

OpenOffice mimics Word's functionality, so you should be able to look up how to insert a section break.

3. writewizard

writewizard New Member

I think that it depends on the website or publisher you use. Worry about the short story first and then look on each webpage to see their rules for submitting things.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

standard ms format is to not number the first page and not have a header there... i doubt any publisher would want it done differently... here's how to fix it:

if you're using ms word, go to 'page setup' in the 'file' menu on your top tool bar...

click in the 'layout' tab...

put a check mark in the 'different first page' box and click on 'ok' button...

the header will not appear on your first page...

5. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

Thanks everyone. I'll play with openoffice and see if I can sort it out...