1. Wreybies

Wreybies Arroz Con Admin Operations Manager Staff Supporter Contributor

Contest Winner! Mark Burton wins September Short Story Contest

Discussion in 'Monthly Short Story Contest' started by Wreybies, Oct 14, 2018.

Congrats to @Mark Burton for his winning story The Accident.

Sorry for all the delays in finalizing this contest. :bigoops:

2. Mark Burton

Mark Burton Fried Egghead Contributor

Thanks @Wreybies for stepping in to keep things moving. Congrats to @GB reader for Counting. It was a worthy story and we were literally neck and neck in the initial vote. Actually, I enjoyed all of the stories this competition, so well done all of the authors.

The prompts provided for this competition lent themselves to the horror genre, but I decided not to go down that traditional path and settled on devising a sci-fi story that I hoped would be true to each of the prompts we were given. I'm pleased so many of you found it interesting enough to vote for. Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    zoupskim, Carly Berg and Stormburn like this.
  3. GB reader

GB reader Senior Member

Well done, I voted for the accident, in the first round!

zoupskim, Stormburn and Mark Burton like this.
  4. dbesim

dbesim Contributor Contributor

Congratulation @Mark Burton. I did vote for your story like @GB reader in the first round (and second). The biggest surprise in The Accident was the part at the end where Nancy finds out she’s the one who’s dead. I didn’t see that one coming. However, @GB reader, you also did very well with your story and giving @Mark Burton a challenge.

I really enjoyed reading The Daughter of God by @zoupskim and this story very nearly got my vote! Amazing story! It made the contest very hard choosing.. But @srwilson well done also. A very convincing thriller and masterfully written.

Although there were not many entries this time, the stories that did enter were great. I thoroughly enjoyed this contest. Thank you to all the writers.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    srwilson, zoupskim, Stormburn and 2 others like this.
  5. Stormburn

Stormburn Contributor Contributor

Congrats, @Mark Burton! This was a strong group of stories; featuring clever twists, interesting POV's and tight execution. I enjoyed them all. All the writers should be proud! Again, congrats Mark!

zoupskim, dbesim and Mark Burton like this.