1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  1. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributing Member Contributor

Marketing statement

Discussion in 'Query & Cover Letter Critique' started by doggiedude, Apr 10, 2016.

I just started taking a serious look at what agents look for in a query letter submission. Some of them are asking for some type of marketing statement. While I can understand why I should include something about the genre my WIP is in it seems to me that who the book would appeal to would be an agent's job. How am I supposed to know all the details of book marketing?

2. BayView

BayView Contributing Member Contributor

I would keep it VERY brief. (Actually, I'd probably avoid these agents, but if I decided to query them)...

"I think this book would be effectively marketed to book clubs and other women's fiction venues. I have promotional material and book club questions available on request"

or

"This book will appeal to hard scifi readers and I am already a member of several online communities where these readers gather"

or whatever.

I don't think it's realistic for you to have a full marketing plan - that's the publisher's job, and if this agent is trying to sell your book to publishers who don't have a marketing department, you almost certainly want another agent.

3. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man Contest Administrator Contributor

:S I also don't think I'd bother. I'd probably have sent a query without mentioning the marketing, but Bay's advice is better.