Marshipan 2020

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by marshipan, Jan 1, 2020.

1. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

Aha, I don't need a dentist. It's sinus trouble. Sudafed cures it. That said, I did very little yesterday. Was feeling exceptionally uninspired by the end chapters.--a continued issue. However, after a night with what felt half like fever dreams, I think I've figured it out. I need to focus on the romance. It doesn't matter what's happening, the romance should be the MC concern. I need to remember that as I go back for final edits.

I want to finish the last chapters today. I need to get something down that I can improve. Really feeling wishy-washy about this whole story and somewhat regretting starting this project. However, I do think it's helped me develop my process since it's been such a headache. Other than that it's probably been a waste of time. I don't think people in my niche even want Christmas stories. :/

2. marshipan

Changes made: Chapter 23 and 24 are now combined. There is no more epilogue.

Final to-do list (cross-through for what I've completed, underlined for partial completed):
    - finish 21
    - write 22
    - write 23
    - write chapter 18
    - grammar edits on 14-23
    -another read through of the entire thing

Current word count: 72k

Been a great day for this project. Mostly because there's less chapters left than I thought, haha. Although, I did get a lot of work done too. Wrote Chapter 22 (it was a big one), wrote half on 23, and then started to reread from the beginning again. I've gotten through Chapters 1 - 6 as of now. Wanted to get started on this part so that my partner can begin reading it and giving me feedback on the first half while I finish up the second.

I plan to write chapter 18 when I come across it, I think it'll flow easier that way. The only things left to write in 21 and 23 are sex scenes. I'll write those as I come back to them as well.

I'm estimating being done by Friday evening. Then I'll get feedback from my partner and make any necessary changes before sending to ARC readers. December 18th is looking good for publication.

I've decided not to do a paperback. Eventually I will, simply to add it to my personal collection but there's no point worrying about it now. I'm also not making chapter art to go under the headings.

Reconsidering writing any stories for pen name one at the moment. Might be better to put my efforts in starting a cover design business I want to avoid writer burnout, not have constant deadlines, and keep my attention focused on my paranormal stuff. I do not want to keep running into these rushed deadlines. Therefore I'd rather get started on the vampire book right after taking a small writing break. I think rushing and time/project management is my biggest weakness right now.

3. marshipan

Chapters 1-13 are fully done. I've read through and did line edits on 14-17. Going to grammar edits on those next and finish writing chapter 18. There's only five more chapters to edit/finish after that.

I think I have two days of work left. Going to try to get as much done today as possible. Yesterday I didn't really do much because I was feeling unwell still. Today I'm feeling much better, although tired.

4. marshipan

Chapters 1-18 are finished. Going a little slower because I'm tired and recovering from whatever.

Christmas Elf: 74k

I'm guessing this will end up at 77k.

5. marshipan

Dragging. Illness has sure screwed with me being able to get this thing done. Tried to write the final scene yesterday but it's not something I've ever written before. It's too long winded I believe, needs some definite cleaning up but for a first attempt it's alright.

Chapters 1-19 are done completely. (Aka one chapter of edits yesterday)

Christmas Elf: 77k

Feeling better today but not 100%. There's still 4 chapters of edits and another scene I've yet to write. At this point I'm hoping Monday I'll be finished. Probably looking at publishing the 20th.

Edit: Chapter 20 done. Three chapters left.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  6. marshipan

Chapters 1-22 done. One chapter left, which includes the final scene that I need to figure out...

I went ahead and moved up the publication date to the 19th so that kdp can process that change. I'll be submitting the story tomorrow. Though, the power pole just broke and fell over my driveway. Powers on but I imagine they'll turn it off to replace the pole... hope that's not too long of an affair.

Christmas Elf: 79.5 k

NK_UT, SNJade96, Gladiolus83 and 4 others like this.
  7. marshipan

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I'm done! Yes! That ends 2020 for me, y'all! Yipee ki yay and happy holidays!

*Wipes forward and takes a deep breath*

Aight, I'll make a final post end of december to close out this year's progress journal. Until then I'm taking my holiday break.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  8. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Swaggin like a Baggins Contributor

I highfived myself symbolically because I have no idea where you are and covid. It's for you, though! Congratulations! You are a writing powerhouse!

marshipan, SNJade96 and Lifeline like this.
  9. NK_UT

NK_UT Active Member

Good work! Your work ethic is really admirable.

MWB, marshipan and Baeraad like this.
  10. marshipan

Blah, my new book (The Cringle Academy) published today and it needs another editing pass but ever since the electricity pole fell we haven't had internet (since Sunday). Monday they say! Ahh. With the kids out of school, Christmas on the horizon, and covid breathing down our necks I can't be bothered to go to the library and I've already been to my mom's most everyday so I could get the release in order. People will just have to deal with a few grammar mistakes until my internet comes back, unfortunately. They are minor or else I'd be more frantic about it.

Came up with a couple more book ideas. Starting to get an idea for what direction to take 2021. Writing style, subgenres, tropes, etc. Think I'll stick with 4-6 books I'll hope to tackle on my new/main pen name. And...argh, I want to make a new pen name and try out something I read a lot of. I'm counting that as a side project though. I'll make a more thorough and specific post about all this when I make the 2021 progress journal.

MWB, Gladiolus83, SNJade96 and 4 others like this.
  11. marshipan

Okay, I want to round up 2020!

Books Published:

pen 0:
    45k - Smashwords erotic romance
    17k - Smashwords erotic romance (this was a re-edit of something I wrote in 2019)

pen 1:
    75k - paranormal academy
    45k - rom com
    55k - erotic short story trilogy
    17k - short romance
    40k - novella romance
    35k - novella romance

pen 2:
    55k - rom com contemporary
    55k - rom com contemporary

pen 3:
    85k - paranormal gothic romance hodgepodge...
    90k - published this twice, April and again in October after another series of edits among other changes (pen name, cover, etc)
    80k - Christmas paranormal romance

Nearly 700k words published in 2020.

Pure Royalties

Not taking out any costs I'll make about $4,200 for the year. My costs were minimal, $500 if I had to guess.

Obviously my time wasn't worth much this year but I expected that might happen.

Other

Learned a lot--keywords, blurbs, writing, facebook, passive marketing, and cover creation. Hard to give a detailed list but I've certainly come a long way in knowing what the heck I'm doing and I'm confident in 2021 I'll see growth.

---

Happy Holidays! Going to make a new journal for 2021 with my goals laid out.

Gladiolus83, SNJade96, MWB and 6 others like this.
  12. montecarlo

montecarlo Active Member

My god you’re a machine...

MWB, marshipan and Malum like this.
  13. marshipan

Hah, yeah I was rather relentless but didn't do much else.

SNJade96 and montecarlo like this.
  14. Baeraad

Baeraad Active Member

That's a lotta books. :eek: Happy holidays!

marshipan likes this.
  15. SNJade96

SNJade96 Senior Member

It really is impressive. I wish I had your work ethic. Good job!

marshipan likes this.