Marshipan 2020

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by marshipan, Jan 1, 2020.

1. NK_UT

NK_UT Member

What do you reckon is the toughest part of writing the first several chapters?

2. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

Making it grab the reader's attention. Sometimes it's hard to know where to start a story until you've already written a chunk of it. Which means my first chapters generally get changed a lot. Knowing that, I try not to get weighed down by the beginning until later drafts/editing.

3. marshipan

Okay, I've done first round editing for the first ten chapters and sent them to my boyfriend. Initially, I was hesitant to get him to edit this particular story because it's so dorky, but I had to get over it. I want to try and polish the story the best I can. Anyway, I'm going to send him ten chapters at a time and after he's done editing I think I'll let the story rest a couple of weeks and get started on the next one.

Wrote my bio and it's okay. Think I'll rewrite it at some point but I'm not in a rush.

Dogberry's Watch and Baeraad like this.
  4. marshipan

Edited another four chapters (14/26) and making a list of possible scenes to add to the story. I'm adding at least one additional chapter and I anticipate I'm going to extend the ending (I rushed it). Essentially I'm trying to figure out what I "dropped the ball" on or if certain things are left better out. For instance, I think I dropped the ball on the male main character. He needs additional motivation outside the romance.

Been trying to get my mind back into Her Demon. I reread it and changed some things, but overall I'm finding it difficult to work on two things at the same time.

5. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Active Member

I like reading about your process. The bit about the male character needing more motivation is something I relate to so hard. You are a powerhouse and I mean that with every bit of respect I can shove in there.

marshipan likes this.
  6. marshipan

You always have the nicest compliments!

Baeraad likes this.
  7. marshipan

I think I've finally found my cover for Her Demon. The few I had saved as possibilities just were not right so I spent hours trolling the internet for every paranormal premade cover I could find. Now I think I've found a cover for Her Demon and the asylum book I plan to write after that! I find it motivating to have the cover lined up because I'm not letting myself buy them until I finish writing. So now I got to write these dang books so no one buys the covers I want!

Anyway, trying to do extra chapter editing today because family is coming into town this weekend. I'm hoping to be done with this first round of edits and adding in the additional chapters before Saturday.

Steve Rivers, Baeraad and NK_UT like this.
  8. NK_UT

NK_UT Member

I've been thinking about covers recently. Are there pre-made, royalty-free book covers that one can download and use?

9. marshipan

Not for free (that I'm aware of). I've seen them about $40-$450. thebookcoverdesigner.com is a good place to see the variety in price and quality you'll find.

Steve Rivers, Baeraad and NK_UT like this.
  10. NK_UT

NK_UT Member

Great resource! I found an hour dissolved looking through awesome book covers.

marshipan likes this.
  11. Baeraad

Baeraad Active Member

Ooooh. That's relevant to my interests. I've been thinking about covers myself. Thank you.

marshipan likes this.
  12. marshipan

Started reading Save the Cat! Writes a Novel. Excited to hopefully learn some new things about satisfying story creation.

Started writing again for Her Demon and happy to get back into the story. Although I still need to finish edits on Boobs or Bust. Did none the past couple days because I'm stressed about other things. Family will be here this weekend but I'm going to try and not let a day go by without doing something productive.

13. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Contributor Contributor

Screenwriting books and tube clips can teach a lot about structural work in writing.

marshipan likes this.
  14. marshipan

Got my newsletter figured out, with the landing page and everything. Pre-orders for the book are continuing to trickle in. I'm going slower than I thought (busy, sick, etc) but worst case scenario I don't get my next book up for pre-order before the first one publishes. Not the end of the world. I need to start spending more time with my social media. Particularly the Facebook group, and making FB friends. Yikes. Right now my main concern is finishing the edits for Boobs or Bust though, as well as expanding the male lead's story with a chapter or two.

I'm going out of town soon. Which is odd timing for all this. I want to have my ARCs out ten days before launch, which would be while I'm out of town. So, I guess I need to have the story finished before I leave in 2.5 weeks. Which makes my eyes bulge. I mean, holy crap that's soon. Need to finish the edits, need to badger my boyfriend to do his edit, then I need to do final edits and formatting.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  15. NK_UT

NK_UT Member

You'll get it done. Congrats on your upcoming publications. It is inspiring to see others do it in real-time.

HeathBar, Alan Aspie and marshipan like this.
  16. marshipan

Edited through chapter 21 (21/26). Thus far it's been easy to insert what I needed with the main male character. Coming up near the end, and I'll need to expand the ending. Although, even doing that this story will be a bit short for the genre and I'm considering possible scenes to add to give a richer story.

Freaking book covers are making me angry today. After I spent hours the other day finding one I wanted (for Her Demon) it got sold! SOLD! So, yeah, now I'm not so sure about the whole waiting till I'm finished to buy covers. I was watching another one for the asylum book I want to write so I just went ahead and got it (it was on clearance). Anyway, still having a hell of a time figuring out the cover I want for Her Demon. The good news is that once I find one I won't have to buy covers for a while.

NK_UT, Alan Aspie and Baeraad like this.
  17. marshipan

Finished editing, mostly. Still working on adding more to the story. I've realized the ending needs more expanding than I first thought. There is this knee jerk reaction to make it more open-ended, like setting it up for a series...but I do not want to write a series right now. I guess it's time I learn to properly make an ending. The story is sitting at 70k now (up 3k from when I started edits). I honestly have no idea how many words I need to finish this story well. 5k? 10k? We'll see.

Found an amazing cover for Her Demon. Much better than the one I had picked out. I've realized Facebook is the best place for finding the covers I need. I'm not very Facebook savvy so I never even considered it until a group was recommended (a place where designers post their covers). So yeah, done cover shopping for a while.

18. NK_UT

NK_UT Member

What's the name of the group?

19. marshipan

Her Demon: 15k

Definitely feeling this story and getting excited about it. Still need to write the ending of Boobs or Bust though. I've been thinking how I can create a satisfying conclusion and I've got an idea. Hoping to get that written tonight but I'm dragging my feet a little. I'm not a fan of endings (writing or reading).

Edit: Finished the new ending. Word count is now 72.5k. Now I'm going to let it breathe as long as I can, which is unfortunately only a little over a week (hah). My boyfriend will edit in that time. Then I'll come back for final edits and such. Time to go whole hog on Her Demon until then!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    Dogberry's Watch and Alan Aspie like this.
  20. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Contributor Contributor

Some male readers might think that boobs would be happier end than bust.

marshipan and Baeraad like this.
  21. marshipan

Her Demon: 20k

NK_UT, Baeraad and Alan Aspie like this.
  22. marshipan

Her Demon: 25k

Got the blurb/book description of Her Demon finished too. It's pretty good! Of course, it's sitting a while until I'm ready to put it up on pre-order. So it might get finessed a little but I think it's solid. Played around with Kindle Create and realized I had some sad, old version that needed updating. Thankfully since I did that everything (frontmatter, backmatter, hyperlinks) seems very easy. Shan't take but a moment to format when the time comes.

Her Demon is going to be longer than Boobs or Bust. I'm thinking 90k, so I'm a quarter through the book now.

23. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Active Member

Imagine a short brunette doing the cabbage patch dance for you. Because that's what I'd be doing.

marshipan, Alan Aspie and Baeraad like this.
  24. marshipan

Well, I feel like a loser. I had to actually look up what that dance was. :rofl:

I ended up writing to 27.5k last night and I'm switching gears to prepare for the midpoint of the book. Which means I'm working towards a false high/false victory. I think I'll be making it seem like things aren't so bad. She makes some friends, she'll gain what she thinks is an ally, she'll bond more with the male love interest, and her brother will appear to have won his case. And then (smiles maniacally and rubs hands together) I'll make it all come crashing down! Mwhaha. I've never been quite so cruel to a character before and well, gosh I have to admit I actually like it! :agreed:

25. marshipan

Her Demon: 31,501

So I made the villain with no idea in mind on who or what he would be but after a while, I decided I'd like to have someone to base him on. Naturally, I chose an Irish trickster guy because I just can't help myself (I'm serious about my obsession with that archetype, and also apparently the Irish). Oh man, I'm so happy I did this because it's really helped me develop the fantasy plot. I've since expanded the setting details, developed the villain more, created new baddies, and came up with a final battle. I'm about to turn on the happy meter for the next few scenes. Everything is going to go well. Hope and happiness will be found as much as one can in her non-ideal situation. Probably got about 2-3 chapters until the midpoint of the plot.

Richach, Alan Aspie, Baeraad and 2 others like this.