Marshipan 2021

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by marshipan, Dec 26, 2020.

1. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

Blood Asylum: 33.4k

I've been writing flashback scenes. I've never really implemented that before and I don't see them all that often in my subgenre so I'm not hugely confident but I think it'll be fine if I keep them short.

2. marshipan

I have finally come up with my next project. I had no clue what to write, just knew I wanted a contemporary romance with certain tropes... Well hot diggity dog I've got a story and I love it so dang bad. Like so so bad. And I think it's a golden idea for the market as well. I'm seeing fireworks go off and I'm very hopeful those aren't a schizophrenic hallucination.

There's big scary men hiding from the law, there's multi-million dollar beach homes, the setting is inspired by a place near my hometown, there's motorcycle brutes. Let's just say none of y'all are allowed to read it because of all the spice!

Also yes, I am writing this partially to appease my intense desire to move to North Carolina and because I miss living at the beach.

3. marshipan

Alright, back on to Blood Asylum. This week I want to go back to word count goals. I think writing more will help this develop more/faster and I've got very clear conceptions of all the characters now so I don't think I'll end up writing a mess of stuff that's unusable. Finally feel detached from the market again so it's just me and the book and no elephant in the corner staring me down with it's peanut breath and fat eye pupils.

ANYWAY, 5k a day y'all (she says, while unpausing her netflix show).

4. marshipan

Blood Asylum: 36.7k

Yesterday, I decided on a break since it was a national holiday and everyone was chilling. Today, I decided to go ahead and jump around scenes to my heart's content. I'd already started to jump around a little because the scenes haven't been coming to me chronologically. Or, I'll just be feeling inspired to right conclusion scenes. For instance, the scene today was when the therapist becomes the patient. A turning point, is what I mean. SO i skipped over a whole lot of stuff. A-okay for me I think. I actually think this will make the skipped scenes stronger since I'll fully know what I'm leading towards.

5. marshipan

Need to stop writing like a schizotypal and get a little more organized with this project. I'm even getting confused about the timeline and what the hell I've written and when it's supposed to happen and what the main goal is. It's like a shitty Naked Lunch where all the parts have been cut up and repasted together out of order and none of them mean much separated out like that. I mean, not THAT bad but you get my jive. Lord, I hate Naked Lunch. Much rather reread Fear and Loathing, even if it gives me bad flashbacks to dissociative episodes and fever dreams of drunken embarrassments.

Anyway, I may take to writing chapter summaries instead of actual scenes because with my slipping mental health level I can barely wrap my head around this story anymore in it's jumbled mess.

Blood Asylum: 37.6k

---

I've decided to "relaunch" one of my contemporary romance books under my new pen name and so have done as such. Re-did the cover (again) to be more the standard for the tropes, updated the keywords a little, and changed the author name. Wish I could have republished it to get a new release boost in searches but I talked to kdp support and they said to just change the author name details instead of republishing. Boo.

I think it's a pretty good book so I didn't want to just let it drift off into the void. It's not the same niche as all my other books on this pen name, which is why I hesitated for a while, but you know what? I'm okay watering down my brand a little. I don't think I need to be super strict. PLUS! I intention to move into contemporary romance with similar tropes on this pen name next and so this is similar enough I think.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  6. marshipan

Okay both my contemporary rom coms are now on my main pen name. They shall live on on an active pen name at least. Plus, I love seeing my author page fuller. Goodreads is a headache and a half though. I think it's because there were paperback versions of these books and so goodreads makes it difficult (impossible?) to make changes. I'm not even going to worry about it. Just let them stay with their old covers and old pen names and if it fixes itself awesome, if not I don't care.

Anyway, I also made (finalized?) the cover for my next book. I think another model might be better though so I'll keep my eyes open for that on deposit photos.

Did no work on Blood Asylum yesterday since I was housekeeping all this stuff. But you know what? I think wanting to get to the next book is helping me feel motivated to finish Blood Asylum. Today is the day I need to push to get some words down or freaking something. I'm tired of the dragging.

7. marshipan

Blood Asylum: 41k

3k day instead of the 5 I wanted, but I did do well with my words per hour. I just want to spend the next week going into the day looking to put words on the page. No over-analyzing, no outlining. I just need to get some words down at this point. 10 days left in January, I thought I'd be finished with the first draft by then, pah! Maybe if I did 5k a day from now until the end but I don't like setting goals that don't match what my current output has been.

I made a Facebook group because I guess I'm going to try that again. Right now its just sitting silent and empty. I think I'll start recruiting when I'm ready to do ARCs. I'll sign up for bookfunnel again and offer it in my group. then I'll think I'll start a weekly post schedule. Teaser Tuesdays, Thursday Updates, etc. Still need to read that Strangers to Superfans book sitting in my kindle library.

ANYWAY, I think I'll be extending the beginning part of the story, aka going back and writing in a new chapter two. It's just BAM see dead bodies omg therapist is a serial killer. then BAM wake up in the asylum. I want to write the end of the first chapter with her actually escaping his house and then freaking out the next day until he eventually catches her. I think it'll help with a lot of things I brushed over initially--like her life pre-asylum, finding out about vampires, her moral compass and mentality.

8. marshipan

Blood Asylum: 44k

Added in the beginning scenes I wanted to insert. It's an improvement. As far as the rest of the book, I'm starting to see the story as a whole which helps simplify my approach.

Found a book with similar themes that was a category bestseller by a liked author in my niche. Going to read that to see how she did it.

9. marshipan

Blood Asylum: 45k

Didn't write much, just finished up the new chapter two. I've also decided to change the therapist's background story. It was ill thought before and didn't really jive with how he was living his life. Before: power hungry con man. Which didn't work because I felt like he'd be affluent/powerful in that case and it also didn't explain his drive to murder for joy. So now: as a human his bloodlust drove him to become something of a monster killer until he was turned into a vampire. Now he still kills monsters but is fully aware that its just for the sadistic joy of it and there is no moral reasoning to it. :agreed: That explains why he's on the fringe of supernatural society and why they want him captured and dealt with.

Not sure I'll write much tomorrow but I'm really going to push myself next week to get down more words.

10. marshipan

Blood Asylum: 51.5k

6k today. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

11. marshipan

Blood Asylum: 60k

Psych, wrote 10k yesterday not 6. Another 5k today! It's really rolling now. I've come back full circle to my initial goals for this book. Made a list of must have scenes to reach my goals and am just knocking it out.

Regardless of all that, I'm at a big turning point in the book and I'm considering stopping progression to go back over the first half (the 60k that is written). I want to treat what I have written so far as if it was it's own book, part one of a two part story type of thing because I want the first part to be able to stand on it's own as far as readability. I know there are some big things I want to change in this first part, for instance, the timeframe is all messed up again. I usually write where one event happens after the next and everything unfolds in just a few short days. I want this story to be over weeks or months instead. I also want the pace to be slower with more periphery scenes with the secondary characters, more goings on in the asylum that isn't just the romantic relationships progressing. Also, this way I can concentrate on properly building up to everything I want to happen in the second half.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  12. marshipan

The beginning of part one is different from the rest. It's the only part that takes place outside the asylum. I've been struggling with the writing because I wanted the FMC to be surprised, shocked, and concerned afor her life... however I also wanted her flippant about the murdering and have her obsession with her therapist still be fully present. Right now it's a mess that captures barely any of that. I really don't think I've been delivering the FMC very well in this entire thing so far. Which is okay, I'll get there. That's an easy fix of just adding in better internal dialogue.

I read a dark romance book with amoral killers and stalkers as the main characters and it's helping me figure it out. Also picked back up watching You on Netflix. I really need to up my FMC's obsession/stalker mode.

I've also decided to add in another chapter to this beginning part. One became two last week and now two will become three. I think adding the therapists viewpoint earlier on will help with clarity with what's happening. I do not want a confused reader.

13. marshipan

This first chapter is going so much smoother now. It was exceptionally helpful reading and watching some stalker stuff. I'm confident that I'm delivering that aspect of my FMC now which is very important because it's what I've promised in the blurb and I do not want to disappoint on anything I've promised since it's been selling well in pre-order because of those promises.

Next up, I'm going to add the new chapter with the therapist's pov. This is another thing I'm not delivering well on. In the description I say he's a serial killer. I've certainly made him a murderer but I didn't emphasis him being a true serial killer and after reading some other serial killer romances (don't ask lol) I think it's important I detail that more.

It's pretty crazy to me that I've written 60k of this story so far and that I'm guessing another 20k will be added in edits to this first half. I feel like barely anything has happened! But I suppose a lot has it's just the pace is too fast.

14. marshipan

Took a day off yesterday and today there were some chores that prevented me doing too much. I rewrote a scene from a different POV. It's an action scene and originally I had it from a bystander POV which was just stupid.

Oh and I bought The Emotion Thesaurus. Haven't started to read it yet but I'm looking forward to it.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  15. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

NNNOOOOO!!!!

Oh. Okay, that's good.

marshipan and Lifeline like this.
  16. marshipan

Finally managed to get through the second draft of the first part of the story (everything that takes place before the asylum). The next section up is the introduction to all the other main characters, the side characters, and the asylum. This section is fun so I think it'll be easy to work on.

Blood Asylum: 65k (have added 5k so far in edits)

17. marshipan

Didn't do much today. Went back through the first three chapters again fixing some things up. Added some more details (clothes, thoughts, general info) and tried to clean up a questionable scene. I'm trying to get as dark and dirty as I think the readers want but not go too far. It's a strange place to be...sexy serial killers present a lot of very questionable situations.

Blood Asylum: 66k

18. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Swaggin like a Baggins Contributor

I watched the Netflix documentary series on the Nightstalker and the amount of women who showed up at the trial hoping to get down with the killer made me so nervous. Same with Bundy. Y'all.

It's a very fascinating thing and I would discuss it further, but I don't want to act like I know what I'm talking about because I don't. Some psychology stuff, and the crossing of wires or something.

marshipan likes this.
  19. marshipan

I did know one girl once that was legitimately attracted to pleasure killers. She was the biggest mess of a person I've ever encountered and I have met, intimately known, and breezed past very messed up people. She was just entirely broken and I think she just wanted to be abused one last time and for it to mean something in some strange way. She clung to any and everyone who had any strength and was desperate, suicidal, and amoral. She was willing to do anything, disgusting things, if anyone asked her because she believed her only worth was to please people this way. I imagine she was something like what the real Harley quinn would look like.

Anyway, apparently turtles can breath through their butts. :confused:

Dogberry's Watch and Lifeline like this.
  20. marshipan

Blood Asylum: 70k

Chapters 1-5 are "done". Not completely but second draft version is done. Chapter six is done-ish. There was a lot to change. I moved it back a day in the story timeline and also had to practically rewrite what happened since it was old and didn't match what I've changed in the beginning chapters. Probably only ended up keeping a couple paragraphs and the rest is new or altered material. It needs another couple passes and I'm yet again faced with a situation I'm not entirely confident in. See, I'm trying to get kinkier because that seems to sell better but I'm just not sure with my choices. We'll see. I'll leave it as is for now and come back to that decision later.

21. marshipan

Today I began with something not very thrilling. I needed to expand the timeline again and wasn't very inspired by that. Just added a few lazy paragraphs to make one moment turn into one week. I may decide to change how I did that and add in a new mini scene. Or not. Whatever. Can you tell how excited and inspired I feel today? I just hate cold mornings. And I hate my coffee. And I even sort of hated my breakfast sandwich even though it tasted good.

Well anyway, best not to encourage a grumpy mood. I think though, today might be a good day to not write and instead figure out the new scenes I need to add to the story thus far. I've been rereading it nonstop, as if it's the only book available to read. Coming up soon the plot just picks up it's skirt and races off. It becomes rushed. I think I tend to do that when I try and write all the way through without little breaks. So yeah, I am ALMOST done with part 2 of this story (second draft). Remember, part one was the "pre-asylum", part 2 is the "introduction". part 3 is where it's a jumbled mess of things happening way too fast. I'm always crap at act 3 (out of 4) and I suppose part 3 is sort of act 3... :confused:

Anywho, I know I want another group therapy scene because they can be awfully fun. I also want a scene with "just the girls". Fluff scenes I guess, to make sure the pace is appropriate and the story is properly fleshed out. I'll make them relevant to the story too (not pure fluff) so don't worry.

Considering how things are developing, I'm guessing this story might clock at 120k when done. Not very sure, but I like making somewhat baseless estimates to see how smart my subconscious is.

22. marshipan

I fixed my murky feelings about this. My main issue was it was part of the first POV chapter from male #2. It made the chapter less punchy. Sooo I've added yet another chapter, haha! I wrote in a new chapter four--a segway from pre-asylum to the asylum. It's from the viewpoints of the two previously unseen male main characters (#2 & #3). It presents them both in a punchy introduction.

Very pleased with the result. I have to admit, writing at this slower pace with a far out deadline has really helped me write something better. All my stories have been a compromise between time and quality. This one has a bit more time so I've been able to make changes I'd have never made with a stricter deadline.

Blood Asylum: 73k

23. marshipan

Blood Asylum: 74k

Started to write a new (later) scene that's been floating in my head. It's the new final scene of act 3. All certainly will seem lost.

Chapter three is moody. Noooo! The internal dialogue needs a major overhaul.

With all that said, I need a break. This story has been on my mind nearly all day everyday for the past three or so days and I'm going to get burnt out. I just keep working on it, thinking about it, and rereading it over and over and OVER.

Going to take a two day break.

24. Steve Rivers

Steve Rivers Contributor Contributor

*shudders at the similarity* Even working on my audiobook, I'll get an idea about the ebook. "I'll just note this down." 2 hours and a re-read of several chapters later.... *slaps hand* NO! Bad Steve! Stoppit! Stooopid brain! It should do what I tell it to, not the other way around! :) *goes back to editing audio*

marshipan likes this.
  25. marshipan

My internet has been out and we have colds so it's influenced me taking a bit of a longer break. Though I've certainly been thinking about it. hopefully the internet is back on tomorrow since my preference is to use google docs.

Today I've made a chapter outline for edits up to one of the big moments in the book. Have two new chapters planned, an extension on another chapter, a chapter that is to be deleted entirely, and a few smaller alterations. There will be eighteen chapters in this "half".

I'm pinpointing the pivotal moments in this "half" of the book to make sure I properly lead up to them. I think I've bit off a bit more than I wanted to chew with this book (it could have been written in three parts easily) but I do like standalones so oh well. Anyway, I'll make sure I have all the necessary scenes and then I'll move on to the next act, which is written but I realize now needs plenty more scenes.