Marshipan 2021

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by marshipan, Dec 26, 2020.

1. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

Okay, chapters 1-6 are "done" and I sent them to my partner for him to give me feedback on. Added more character to chapter 1, added a small flashback scene to chapter 2, fixed the internal dialogue of chapter 3, and the rest just needed another read over.

I went over chapter 7 too but it's a sex scene and those always give me a headache and require three times as much work. So I'll need to go over it again.

Then the next stretch of chapters (8-10) require additional scenes that I need to write. Probably even an entirely new chapter but then it'll be "done" and sent to my partner too. And that'll end act 1.

I'm anticipating around 40 chapters when this is finished.

Blood Asylum: 76.2k

2. marshipan

I read over chapters 7-10 again and I don't think I need to add as much as I was thinking. Need to keep in mind this is a standalone and pace appropriately. The first ten chapters are around 40k. Anticipating 40 chapters that's 160k... so yeah that's double the length of the long books I've written before. Certainly makes me not feel bad for taking an extra month writing it, especially when I'm doing extra editing as well.

I went back over chapter seven and "finished" it, added it to the shared file for my partner's feedback. I hope the kinky stuff is anticipated and not a shock to readers... Oh well, guess we'll see! :bigeek:

Chapter 8: Overall it's a rough draft state so most everything needs improving. Also, this is where I added in "a week goes by" type of thing. I need to expand on that because I realized I dropped the ball on a few things. For instance, I think the readers will want to know if the girl is taking the medication the asylum is giving her since last scene she was opposed and refused.

Chapter 9: Need to take out the angsty inner dialogue, need to add a small flashback (a few paragraphs), and need to change what happens in the end. I'm going to have her forced into someone else's room (MMC #3) so that these two characters can have more interaction. I realized on my many rereads that MMC #3 and the female lead don't really interact at all and then their relationship gets dialed up to ten. Which wasn't great so I'm fixing that now.

Chapter 10: Have to write it! With the change in chapter nine's ending I now need the follow up to that. First real interaction between these two characters other than their brief introduction.

80 pre-orders. It'll sure feel exciting to get 100, or better yet closer to 110 because that'll equal around $300. Which is about what my last two books have made in one month instead of one freaking day!

3. Steve Rivers

Steve Rivers Contributor Contributor

That's awesome news, Marshi! Got my fingers crossed that you get past 100, just for the milestone alone.

Baeraad and marshipan like this.
  4. marshipan

Chapters 1-10 are "done" which is the entirety of Act 1! (Act 1 word count: 39,265)

Blood Asylum: 77.6k (this word count is after deleting a short chapter that comes later since it no longer made sense with edits, so I actually added in more than it seems--about 2k I suppose)

Now to start working on Act 2. This section is a big progression in relationships and the build up towards the therapist's downfall. There is also background information given on some of the main characters. Not sure how much new material needs to be added in yet. Have to spend some time going over it and figure out what's missing.

5. marshipan

Alright, I've gone over Act Two and have made a list of adjustments--there's a lot. Two new chapters added in, I have to flesh out a chapter I only wrote segments of before, and there will be an additional new scene to write on top of that. Overall, the characterizations are not perfect in this section. I've improved on them a lot in Act One and need to adjust accordingly. One guy is too goofy, one guy is too nice, one relationship is too undeveloped, etc. Lots of alterations in the chapters that are staying.

Anyway, I guess a [real world] timeline might be in order at this point. I have five weeks until the "late" deadline (that gives ARC readers a little over two weeks) and I wouldn't be surprised if I use all of that time. My late Feb/Early March goal is definitely not happening. I think these Act Two edits will take a week, maybe a little less if I work hard? However, Act Three and Four aren't even really written yet. Of course at this point I have a firm grasp on everything in the story so it shouldn't take too long but still, that might be about 60k words + edits (practically another freaking book). :confuzled:

So the next three chapters....

Chapter 11: Needs to be written!
    Chapter 12: Needs a very large re-haul
    Chapter 13: Needs to be written!

Yikes.

6. marshipan

I worked through chapters 11&12.

Blood Asylum: 83k (I wrote more than I thought )

So I still need to write Chapter 13. But the next three chapters after that...
    Chapter 14: This scene doesn't need much changing, just minor alterations
    Chapter 15: This scene needs fairly big alterations. Changing some specifics of one scene and then adding a new scene too
    Chapter 16: This scene needs work but the core is fine. However, the end of it needs to be altered to make sense with the other plot changes.

You guys, I can't even read some of the beginning chapters anymore. Chapter one! CHAPTER ONE!!! I cannot tell you how many times I've read chapter one. It's so tiring to set my eyeballs on it now. Chapter three is just sort of stupid. I don't like it all that much not that I'm changing it or anything. I just don't like looking at it. Yet I promise you each and everyday I reopen that document and try because I'm some sort of OCD masochist at this point. Hyperfocus much?! :bigconfused:

7. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Staff Contributor

There can be two reasons why I don't like looking at some short that I've written: 1) because something in this short resonates with me too much, or 2) because I'm disappointed with it. 2) has an easy solution: Just push through the fucking edits!

marshipan likes this.
  8. Steve Rivers

That, for me, is the one time I will consciously realize I need to put that part of the book away and leave it for a couple weeks. I'm not prone to being someone that leaves their book to settle for months on end to rest for a new perspective, but when I get that OCD level of overthinking a chapter or overanalyzing it, that's the little bell ringing in my head.
    Put it on a flash drive, delete it from your hard drive, tell your other half to bury it somewhere in the garden and not tell you where for a fortnight. ... (i kid, i kid. I just KNOW you'll be out there at 2am with a trowel or shovel, screaming WHERE IS IT, YOU BASTARD!??! TELL ME!!!) :D hehe

marshipan likes this.
  9. marshipan

I'm considering taking a break from writing and publishing after this story. Not for too long, but long enough to get my head on correctly. Something like a month.

I don't know. I'm feeling funky and strange. I'm feeling like maybe I've drifted too far from reality and I'm burrowing my struggling clarity into stories that are only getting more deranged.

I need fresh air and sweat. I need to see more walls than the ones in my house. I need to aim my mind back into the physical world. I've just become so terribly detached that I worry I might be driving myself towards insanity.

Anyway (lol), I wrote part of chapter thirteen. Then I realized that while I've worked to improve the male leads, the female hasn't had the same progress so I've been giving her thought today. I'm struggling to get some aspects of this story right without going too far.

Hate to say it, but I might need to take another short break from this story. I keep focusing on it wayyyy too much. Might have to bury it in the yard per Steve's suggestion.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  10. marshipan

My self imposed 100% break is ending. I didn't even read books at all and certainly didn't work on my story (and didn't really think about it at all).

Anyway, need to set some hard rules with this book so I don't drown again. Until this book is finished, I won't read at home; I will not be updating this progress journal daily for a little while; I will only work on this during my specific "work times". I'm also not going to be setting up a pre-order for another book. Instead on my next project, I'm going to work without thinking about when I can get it out and how if I work a bit harder it'll be out sooner. I'm removing my thoughts from the rat race in general and think I'll go back to avoiding the writing community on Facebook and choose what I read with a little more discrimination (I read some questionable "dark" books before I started feeling a bit mentally unwell).

Anyway, let me lay out the rest of Act 2 that I need to work on the next few days/week. [Act 2 is chapters 11-19 fyi.]
    Chapter 13
    : this is a new chapter. I've started to write it but I'm unsure the direction I took it. Need to finish writing it
    Chapter 14: Not many changes, but some subtle ones, especially dealing with how the characters are presented
    Chapter 15*: Significant changes, almost a whole new rewrite
    Chapter 16: Needs finessing mostly, though the very end of it needs to be rewritten since it no longer matches the plot
    Chapter 17: Not much needs to be changes but generalized improvements are needed
    Chapter 18*: Almost an entire rewrite (it was only partially written anyway)
    Chapter 19: Not many changes needed

*significant chapters work-wise

After I finish this act it'll be a big shift from mostly editing back to mostly writing. There are six other chapters written but I'm not sure how many are being kept at all and what is kept needs major rewrites.

11. marshipan

Well the winter storm has made things a bit wild here and I couldn't work so much on my project. Not letting myself think much about that though. I figure, even if I run out of time I can push back the publication. Which is something I'd have refused to do last year but this year is to be different. I did get some things done previous to the winter storm and plan to get back at it today.

Blood Asylum: 87k

I finished writing chapter 13 and went through the first 2/3rds of chapter 14. I'll definitely need to be going back over all of Act 2's chapters after this initial edit. Actually, I'll go back over the entire first half once I'm done with Act 2 edits. I want the first half in a publishable state before I continue. Since this is such a longer book than I'm used to it feels necessary. Not only so I don't write useless things that get changed earlier in the plot but also to just break up this beat into more conquerable sizes. Plus, I know Ill rush the second half if I don't treat it like it's own book.

Today I want to finish chapter 14 and rewrite chapter 15 although I think I'll likely have focus issues. My hope though is to have this round of edits on Act 2 finished this weekend. Then I'll go back over chapters 1-19 all over again.

I've been thinking a lot about what to write next. I keep changing my mind. I'm beginning to think I might just do one of my pre-planned projects I've been pushing off instead of coming up with a new idea. It feels more comfortable to do that and I'm beginning to lean more towards passion in 2021 instead of commercial. Right now I've been considering the leprechaun book. It was the first book I finished writing in my life! Needs a complete overhaul BUT I do know the characters, know the base plot, know the villain... All the abstract concepts are already there and so I think it would be easy to get into and write. I'd write it more in the style of Blood Asylum this go around, a little grittier and sexier. Though I'm not sure if I'll make it a standalone. I think I'll start writing it as a standalone and go from there. If I hit 90k at halfway, I might just go ahead and publish it as a duet to take some of the pressure off. Cant do that with Blood Asylum because I've "advertised" it as a standalone.

12. marshipan

I finished edits on 14 (yesterday), 15, and 16. Have begun adding the new 17 which will be fairly short. Might be a good time to add in something extra there (a new scene) to get a good sized chapter.

Word count is getting murky as I transition to the "final file". However, it seems the first half is about 75k at the moment (so that is not including the additional 6-7 chapters I've written that come after the halfway point). I think this half will be closer to 80k when I finish adding what I need to add. Getting closer and closer to that glorious halfway point. I'm getting excited to work on another full round of edits after this, refining everything into something even better.

I'm enjoying this project and the amount of time I'm allowing myself to work on it. I think I'm finally finding my happy place as far my own wants and needs melding with market wants and needs. I'm refining myself.

13. marshipan

Welllll I got distracted by a new idea. I want to do a Peter Pan/Hook story. I wrote down my base idea but it may change significantly. Just playing around with it for now.

After I got through that, I finished writing the new chapter 17 for Blood Asylum that I suddenly decided to insert. Which actually ended up longer than I thought (4k). It saw a lot of interaction between fMC and mMC#3, which is good because that was still lacking.

That leaves chapters 18-20 left for this round of edits.

zoupskim, SNJade96, alw86 and 4 others like this.
  14. alw86

alw86 Active Member

So much potential in Peter Pan/Hook, sounds like a brilliant distraction! :D

marshipan likes this.
  15. marshipan

Right, trying to screw my head on right. Things have been mentally difficult with the weather/electricity/running water issues. Two out of three are finally back in order but running water is still an ongoing issue--which means cooking, cleaning, and general health care is about on par for camping in a rudimentary site in the woods but it was also much colder than we are used to (we don't have central heat because why would we need that here?).

Everything should go back to 2021 normal this coming week at least. I'm even thinking of restarting my gym membership as the vaccines continue to roll out and the rate of infection continues to drop.

I also wrote far too much on the Pan story (10k+) for whatever reason. I don't even like large parts of the concept but I was having fun with some aspects. Then yesterday I had to take a mental health day. I don't think I'll finish Act 2's edits today like I had expected. However, I should be able to get two out of three chapters done as there isn't much to edit. Then tomorrow I can work on this: "Chapter 18*: Almost an entire rewrite (it was only partially written anyway)".

16. marshipan

I think I have my timeline messed up. I'm now considering that I'm rushing major plot points that are further in the story than I realized. I'm barreling my characters towards plot points that limit what can happen afterwards. For example, the therapist becoming a patient. This removes all further interactions as him as the therapist (obviously) and changes what his thoughts are concentrated on and his actions. I've already realized I need to go back and add in some more scenes before that happens, therefore lengthening this "first half" even more. And that's when I realized, like hey...maybe this isn't the first half, maybe this is actually like 75% of the plot and I need to go back in and add scenes to get other plots to progress appropriately.

So what I need to do is figure out exactly what else is left in the non-romance plot because right now I've been feeling a little confused about what all is going to happen in the second half because there isn't much left and yet the romance plot has a significant amount. I guess I need to add in more scenes that aren't progressing the non-romance plot and are just pure romance.

Guess I'll be figuring that out today. I'd made a list before of what all I want to accomplish in the "romance" (ehem, sex scenes) before the end of the story. I need to revisit that and revisualize the progression of the romance in regards to the other plot because it's not matching up. I think this is great though, because there were some things I have just pretty much ignored. For instance, the girl never really wonders about how to get out of this place she seems to be trapped in forever now. I think I'll go back in and add that. I also need to add in a betrayal plot with the friends she's made there. I also need to add more in regards to what happens to other patients because she gets punished and sent to seclusion a lot but we don't see that happening to anyone else which makes no sense (since they are all in there for being uncontrolled killers).

So yeah, I think I may very well be 75% into the plot ( not 50%) when the therapist looses his cool and becomes a patient. I need to go back and address the things I should have, add more romance scenes to get the relationships further developed.

17. marshipan

Been going back over the story from the beginning again. More edits have been made and I've added in one new chapter and about to add in a second one. Since my last update I also made a chapter outline of the entire book. So I know what happens in every chapter now and there will be about 40-42 overall. I have about twenty-two written now. So uh yeah, I guess I am half-way like I thought, however I do have all the plots progressing well together now.

After adding in these new chapters to the front half, it'll just about looking at what scene comes next and getting it done. Three weeks until my final deadline. We shall see how that goes or if I'll have to push it back. Hard to know.

SNJade96, Baeraad, zoupskim and 4 others like this.
  18. marshipan

No progress. Still no running water, though hopefully today we'll get it. Have been solely responsible for the toddler the second half of week because my partner has been busy. Also, I may have the flu so my fuzzy brain isn't up for much writing. A couple days ago I got distracted by a new idea. Girl having clairvoyant dreams of violence begins a sexual relationship with her professor who becomes obsessed with her. Also, her dreams are about him, he's a serial killer for some strange occult reason. Going for Angel Heart vibes.

Hoping to get back at it in Monday. :/ Life certainly seems to be strongly against me finishing this story soon. Stupid effing winter storm and all the rest. I'm about to build a cabin in the woods and telling the world to eff off so I can just write.

19. marshipan

March... well I think I made it clear in my last update that I'm frustrated with the recent continued difficulties that have made working on this book impossible or hard. The book is still scheduled for release at the very end of this month and I really can't imagine making it but I cannot imagine changing the release date yet. My goal this week is to just feel better by putting in some solid effort towards the project. I know if I get just a few days of solid work done I'll be back to chipper and excited.

Also, this month I wanted to start talking up my book a little on facebook but I'm going to hold off another week. At the end of this week, I'll determine what to do about the release date (I'm thinking I'll push it back a week or two) and then start "building excitement" on FB. I need to make some images and pick out some quotes. Screen shot some full page teasers and perhaps restart my bookfunnel subscription and even offer the first five chapters? I don't know, whenever I've offered chapters no one ever takes it up but I do want to offer ARCs with bookfunnel so I need to restart that anyway. And really, there is no harm and minimal effort in offering a few chapters. Just have to do a quick format, upload, and make a link.

So, I had intentioned to get more serious about my website, newsletter, and facebook group before this book came out but I got to be honest with you guys... I just don't want to. It's not just that though, it's that I don't have a following. I figure there is no harm in waiting. If people become my fans they won't suddenly disappear if I didn't syphon them into some group or newsletter at the end of this book. So yeah, I'm waiting. Especially since I think I'll be scaling back after this book until mid-August or so. I'll still write, but hobby level and zero deadlines.

Okay so as far as this Blood Asylum:
    Chapter 16: New chapter I've started but am not really inspired so I'm skipping over for now.
    Chapter 17-22: Finish the edits and the writing
    Chapters 23-25: sort of partially written--Heavy edits/rewrites
    Chapters 26-41: need to be written :dead:

I ordered a vape. Never had one before. That's how off the rails I am about all this. I just plan on sitting in a cloudy room, chewing up bitter caffeine tablets, and wishing I had one of those keyboards that sounded like a typewriter so that my ears could feel physically assaulted by how much work I'm getting down. What I mean is I'm moving into GO mode. No reading books, no wasting time on reddit or facebook, no mindless lounging about. GO mode, you guys. GO MODE. :bigmad:

20. marshipan

Blood Asylum
    Chapter 16: New chapter I've started but am not really inspired so I'm skipping over for now.
    Chapter 17-22: Finish the edits and the writing (FINISHED)
    Chapters 23-25: sort of partially written--Heavy edits/rewrites

Word count: 93k (officially its now my longest story *throws confetti*)

Tomorrow I plan to finish the next "bullet point", chapters 23-25. And then hey, only a measly 16 chapters to write! What's that? 60-80 THOUSAND words? Pfft... :bigeek: *tries to loosen shirt collar*

21. marshipan

Blood Asylum
    Chapter 17-22: Finish the edits and the writing (FINISHED)
    Chapters 23-25: sort of partially written--Heavy edits/rewrites (FINISHED)

Word count: 95k (5k+ of new material aka I also deleted a lot of words today)

Chapter 23 became a fully new write. Chapter 24... I had to rewrite the entire thing too. I know I greened out Chapter 25 but I actually haven't started it yet. I've got a whole lot of hope though! I think I'll be able to finish it today, it shouldn't be a total rewrite.

22. marshipan

Chapters 25-28 are done for now. Changed some things and now there are currently 39 planned chapters, down from 41. I get the feeling I'm moving in a downward trajectory right now and might have less words left than I originally thought. I'm in the final part of the plot--them deciding to escape and then writing how that unfolds (not very smoothly). There will likely be significant edits after I finish writing this though. To the second "half" I mean. The first half is super done.

Word Count: 99k
    Chapters: 28/39 (11 left!)

23. marshipan

Word Count: 108k (over 100k for the first time! *throws confetti*)
    Chapters: 30/39 (9 left!)

Right, so the rest of my chapter by chapter outline is crap. I'm still going to use it as a reference for what has to happen from now until the end but it's developing a little differently while writing.

First draft I've realized is mostly action and dialogue. Second "draft" is for fleshing out and finding what additional scenes are necessary. Its easier to stop second guessing the first draft quality when I think of that.

24. Steve Rivers

:cheerleader: Grats on passing the big bad 100k! :cheerleader:

marshipan likes this.
  25. marshipan

Yesterday was a break day--had to do some real world things. Nearing the end of the week and I'm still not feeling ready to push back the publication date officially. I definitely think I will need to though. I have 1.5 weeks until I'd need this done for ARC readers. Yeah... that is not happening unless I get real sloppy. After all the time I spent on the first 20 chapters I am not letting that happen. I'm still thinking the two week pushback is going to be good enough but I'm just not ready to pull the trigger until I get further along. I don't want to push it back two weeks and then go "oh no, I needed 4 weeks". I mean, I'm still trying to finish writing the dang thing. I don't think I'll know anything until I get started on edits.

I'm right at the final plot point though: The FMC gets hurt, the other characters lose their crap and get thrown in solitary, the girl is saved with experimental drugs, she wakes up and is some type of badass overpowered vampire thing. She gets the guys out of their cages and they all take down the main bad guy. Then epilogue.

I'm just going to write. I know what needs to happen so I'm not really going to be looking at the outline I made anymore (since it's bad). That way things flow naturally. I told my partner to read the first 22 chapters so that his "edits" can begin. I think in 1.5 weeks I'll be way farther ahead. Done writing and well into edits but edits are going to take longer so that I don't have some slap dash ending. Then I still need to do a grammar only edit sweep. I still haven't run anything through Grammarly and that takes time.