1. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

Marvel vs. DC?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JTheGreat, May 5, 2011.

With Free Comic Book Day coming up, this issue has arised in my group of friends at school. It seems as though my female friends favor DC, whereas my guy friends think that Marvel's "obviously" superior.

Where do you guys stand?

I'm for DC. Then again, I may be biased being a Robin fangirl. The Robin with pants, that is :redface:. I don't really like any of the Marvel heroes, save Spiderman. DC tries to reach out to teens and kids, with their spin-off Young Justice and Teen Titans series. But, considering that, I may not be "exposed" enough to both sides.

2. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Your male friends obviously have better taste than your female friends. :p

Just kidding, we're all entitled to our own opinions, but I like Marvel better. DC loses points because I despise Superman, but Spiderman kind of irks me, too. I guess honestly I could go either way, because I like heroes on both sides, if it weren't for the fact that my heart belongs forever to the X-Men. They put Marvel leaps and bounds ahead of DC.

3. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

I pretty much like most superheroes except Superman, who also annoys me. Batman makes up for that though. :p Though I read a lot of comics when I was younger, they were pretty much all Superman, Spiderman, Batman and X-Men. I'm sad to say my only experience of the superheroes like Ironman etc come from the new movies, so I can't tell if it's just my fangirlishness for Robert Downey jr. affecting my decision there. Also Thor was HOT. :p

All in all I think I'm just about nerdy enough in this aspect to know about it, but not enough to care. :p

4. Space_Goose

Space_Goose New Member

In my opinion, the only good super hero that DC ever came up with was Batman.... gotta love Batman. To me a lot of DC comics heros are too goody two shoes. I like Marvel because most of there heros seem to have major flaws.... or another way to say it is sometimes the line between good and evil gets blurred in Marvel Comics which is what I like about it. Just my 1 and half cents. ;)

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I grew up reading mostly DC comics, so I'm somewhat biased toward them. Yes, Superman is ironically a weak character because he is too powerful. But face it - he's the original, and is part of our mythology.

My all time favorite has always been the Flash. One power, and he can do nearly everything with it except fly. My second favorite is Green Lantern. Everything he can do is driven by his willpower and imagination. Each of Earth's Green Lanterns shaped the ring's power differently, in line with their different personalities.

But then, there is Spiderman, the original angst-ridden superhero. He has trouble keeping a job or a girlfriend, and he is driven by guilt. Yes, the Batman is also driven by guilt and rage, but that is a post-Spiderman retrofit of the character. Batman started out as a costumed detective, a wealthy playboy who chose to conceal his identity and match wits with Gotham's worst. Spidey was the real groundbreaker in showing that having superpowers was a two-edged sword.

As for the X-Men, they're okay, but there are just too danged many of them. It makes it hard to get attached to any of them.

So I'm not throughly loyal to either company. It all depends on the title, and who is currently writing and drawing them.

6. Pallas

Pallas Contributor Contributor

I haven't read much comics of either side as I grew up mostly with their animated series of the 90s, spiderman and x men, hulk, and of course batman, so I suppose that inclines me more to the marvel side; plus I always have Wolverine on my MvC team. I still want to see a Marvel v DC video game though I think a DC v MK one was developed but that is another unsavory issue.

Marvel does I think try to cater to younger teen audiences, I think they have rebooted some of their heroes in teen form, I know there has been a new version of spider girl printed.

7. Annûniel

Annûniel Contributor Contributor

I definitely lean towards Marvel, because they started the concept of the superheroes being real people and giving them real problems to face along with their powers. Spiderman, the X-Men, and such are prime examples. I love a story with great characters and character development and much prefer that to the idea of perfect superheroes (like Superman, blech!)

When DC saw Marvel's success, they started to try and mimic it. But you gotta give credit where credit's due and show respect to the one that started the trend.

I will admit I do love Batman though. He's a well developed character, even if most of that development came after Marvel's 'influence.'

8. TheSpiderJoe

TheSpiderJoe New Member

What a tough question. Every time I meet someone new and mention comics that's the first thing they ask without hesitation.

Most of my favorite characters rank on the DC side (Superboy, Booster Gold, Kyle Rayner Green Lantern) but I'm very partial to some Marvel heavy hitters (Taskmaster, Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, Spider-man)

To be honest, I think DC has the potential to put out better label-wide cross overs (Identity Crisis, Infinite Crisis, 52) but Marvel has some of the best writing per character on an issue to issue basis.

My mind is telling me Marvel but my heart is telling my DC. I say, can't it be both?

9. sidtvicious

sidtvicious Contributor Contributor

Inferno, office 752. Take a right turn at the wat
    I'm a DC man. Grew up on Geoff Johns, so yeah.

10. Drayzon

Drayzon Member

I grew up on Marvel. My dad was a huge Marvel fan and got me into it. My all-time favorite character is Wolverine. Bad attitude and pretty much unstoppable. Hulk, Silver Surfer, Thor, and Phoenix round out my top five.

But as I got older and into my man years, I did some research on DC, started reading some comics, started watching some movies, compared and contrasted both universes. In all honesty Marvel is an inferior version of DC.

DC was the parent and Marvel was borne out of it. Something my dad never told me.:rolleyes::D

I'd have to say I'm in the middle of the road, with my Marvel top 5 being a little equal with my DC top 5 (Flash, Green Lantern, Dr. Fate, Superman, Wonder Woman) Would've had Batman in there somewhere, but these won out.

11. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Count me on the Marvel side -- I always preferred their superheroes over DC's, although when all's said and done, Batman is definitely my favorite superhero. It's just that in my opinion, Marvel has more interesting heroes, but DC's best character is Batman IMO.

12. Venom.

Venom. Active Member

To be honest, both have good heroes and and villains anyway. I'd say I'm good for both sides but if I HAD to choose I'd say Marvel.

13. J_Jammer

J_Jammer Banned

Marvel. They're less PC than DC.

14. J_Jammer

J_Jammer Banned

What about Bruce Wayne?

15. hiddennovelist

Word. Our opinions differ on many things, but I'm 100% with you on this one. Marvel > DC

16. Sang Hee

Sang Hee New Member

I knew DC before Marvel but I liked Marvel more for longer time. I just like the hype and action over the subtlety of detective nature of DC.
    Guess the reason is that Marvel is more out of this world while DC is being more raw and down to Earth.

17. Gigi_GNR

Same difference. ;)

18. Vamp_fan22

Vamp_fan22 New Member

I've never really read a lot comic books I love X Men and Spiderman. And this is probably an unpopular opinion but I actually kind of hate Batman. I'm sorry, I just could never get into it.

19. J_Jammer

J_Jammer Banned

I ask because Tony Stark has personality outside the suit. Bruce Wayne seems to wane on personality outside the suit.

20. Gigi_GNR

Good point. :) Which reminds me, Ironman, I like him a lot too. :D

21. J_Jammer

J_Jammer Banned

What about Marvel do you enjoy?

22. hiddennovelist

Overall, I think they have heroes with more personality (as you pointed out with Tony Stark vs Bruce Wayne). I think my love for the X-Men is what really clinches it for me, though. A lot of people tell me that they never got into the X-Men because there were so many characters, it got hard to keep up with. That's what I love about them, though--there's something for everyone. And none of their characters are made out to be perfect, infallible pretty boys, like effing Superman is. Ugh. Superman.

23. Gigi_GNR

Agreed. Never liked Superman. He's just too perfect, I suppose, and overused too.

24. hiddennovelist

One of my comic book nerd friends tried to tell me once that what made Superman interesting was that his weakness was being so fallible and human. This was pretty much my face: :confused:

Aren't all heroes fallible and, to some extent, "human"? Doesn't seem like much of a weakness to me...

25. Gigi_GNR

Plus, being an alien from another planet doesn't really translate as 'human'. ;)