1. paperbackwriter

paperbackwriter Banned Contributor

Max Passion Min Talent

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by paperbackwriter, Feb 11, 2019.

Id still be playing golf if my back was up to it. That game is addictive. I think because when you accidentally do a good shot, you spend the rest of the round trying to recapture the magic. "Man how did I do that? Where did that come from? That was so easy" The power and accuracy seem so effortless.
    I play guitar. I know the basics. The good fingerstyle guitarists on youtube inspire me. Dare I call myself Intermediate? Probably not because I don't have the patience to learn a whole tune off by heart. Despite my lack of discipline and talent I do have passion for music and guitar. It helps transcend boredom, that's for sure.
    I believe I have some talent for writing. But not the story telling narrative kind. Perhaps I could do collaborative comedy writing for skits. Maybe the passion is not strong enough to drive me in search of my niche. I wish I had got into writing commercials. that must be fun. But I suspect often ethically challenging, as the almighty dollar comes first usually.
    Im thinking now, someone will advise me that self-discipline and hard work are more important than passion. Yes I can see your point but ……………..

Some Guy likes this.
  2. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

Passion is more important than self-discipline and hard work.

But I'm not talking about "inspiration" or "passion of the moment". I'm talking about long lasting, deep passion that don't go away.

One of Finlands most productive writers is Tapani Bagge. He writes and edits only 5 pages a day. First he edits yesterdays writing. Then he writes this days five pages.

He has written more than 100 published books. (We don't usually call them books in Finland if they are unpublished. Unpublished stuff is a draft or a script or... whatever. Who cares?)

Just 5 pages a day. If you have that craving long lasting passion, you'll write 3-5 pages no matter are you writing a book or wasting time in boards or playing with your diary or...

Passion is more important than self discipline. If you have it, then you start to direct that passion to the right path...

paperbackwriter likes this.
  3. paperbackwriter

that's quite encouraging actually Alan
    thanks

Alan Aspie likes this.
  4. Alan Aspie

If you are interested about this topic, I could recommend you Dr. Carol S. Dwecks book Mindset.

We often think that talent is something we have or not have or have some amount and not more.

But...

Our potential is always much bigger than our talent. We have unused "rings" of talent around our present talents. (Vygotsky: ZPD.) And we can grow to those "rings". Then we'll have new unused "rings" around us. And so on...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zone_of_proximal_development

Talent does not grow fast. But underperforming can disappear quickly. And the effect is quite similar - better performance.

And our talent is base for our skills. And skills can develop with great speed. Big part of our performance is using skills, not talent.

Using myself as an example:

I decided to make writing my future professional career about 11 and half months ago. I decided to work hard but in a way that I love and enjoy.

In that time I have read about 40 books about writing, thinking and audiovisual working. I have watched more useful youtube videos than I have read books. I have written more than 700 pages. One complete SFD. One partial SDF (175 pages done, maybe 50-100 to go.) Background material to that second. (About 119 pages.) And something else - few things.

That is not talent. That is working. But that is working in a way that that I enjoy.

During this less than a year my mother died. It was an emotional turmoil to my family. And I have not been able to avoid contact with something very toxic and harmful to me. That's about 3 months with low energy and zero creativity because of stress.

The point: You can do a lot - even in tough conditions - if you make doing enjoyable and stress reducing. You get problems? You start to reduce your stress via doing things you can do and enjoy doing in that moment. You let those things wait which demand more than you have just now. After reducing stress you have what it takes to get back to more creative working.

I don't believe in "force yourself to create". You can't. Forced doing is stressful doing. Stress kills your creativity.

But I do believe in active control of stress - when you can do it. And I believe in making your working fun and enjoyable. And I believe in the therapeutic writing. It helps you to construct some order in chaotic or disguised problems in life. It helps you to go through hard emotions. It helps you to develop your thinking.

The second book that might be useful if you are interested about these things: Nassim Taleb: Antifragile.

In life we can be fragile, robust or antifragile. I am and have decided to be a combination of antifragile and sensitive/tender/delicate/touchy. I think that is very powerful combination to an individual and a writer.

I hope that you find something useful in my writing. And if anyone else reads this, I hope the same to them.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    paperbackwriter likes this.
  5. paperbackwriter

We are on the same page there Alan. I know when I was a teacher of kids, I tried to make lessons enjoyable. (maybe too much). Some lessons were excellent, others very poor. My mistake then was probably trying to please the kids instead of challenging them to the next level.

Alan Aspie likes this.
  6. Alan Aspie