1. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Caitlin's ex is a lying, abusive rapist. Contributor

McCain's concession speech

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Forkfoot, Nov 5, 2008.

Was pure freakin' class. We were so lucky to have two decent, classy guys to choose between this time around. Remember 2000, when everyone was complaining about how both candidates were kinda lame? This was like, the exact opposite of that.

2. Raven

Raven Banned

Yeah I would have loved to see McCain win.

3. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

[​IMG]

4. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Even though an outsider looking in, i was hoping the result was the way it was. BUT watching Macain talk, was a really really proud moment in time. Very graceful.

5. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

It was a good speech, and I was impressed that he actually paused, and stopped the crowd from boo-ing Obama. There has been a real show of dignity in the aftermath of election, which I think is the glimmer of hope for American politics.

6. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

I said this elsewhere, but I must repeat that McCain is a man I always really respected, and would have in fact supported as president. It was only when he started selling his beliefs for conservative voters and making horrible choices like Sarah Palin that I began to lose respect for him. Last night's speech showed what a great man he really is, and- in addition, of course, to voting in an African American- was just another sign that the USA can still be a thoughtful and wise nation.

7. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I thought he was extremely gracious and sincere.

8. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 New Member

He really did do a good job. I was especially impressed when he stopped the boo-ing from the crowd. I didn't necessarily agree with his political beliefs, especially during this campaign, but he did a good job in the end. :)

9. JGraham

JGraham New Member

I was very impressed with the speech. He was very humble and although he lost seemed to still look forward to the future. He and Obama both seemed fairly confident that they could work together in the future and hopefully that was not just out of gratitude. While i am happy to see obama won the election and i did vote for him, it would be good to see them work together and hopefully fix the economic problems we have in the near future.

10. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

I thought that was nice. I wish he'd started doing that BEFORE the election.

(I also noticed that when Obama mentioned McCain in his speech, the crowd clapped or remained silent.)

Frankly, McCain's campaign (maybe not the man himself, though he bears some responsibility for allowing it) has gone to a lot of trouble to stir up the hatred and anger that characterized most of the last few weeks. I used to respect John McCain. I voted for him in the primaries in 2000, and I'd have voted him for President even in 2004. When I heard it was him against Obama, I was pretty stoked; no matter what, I said to myself, we'll have a pretty okay dude in the White House at the end of this.

This campaign has pretty much destroyed my admiration for him. In particular, his backpedaling on almost all of his old independent stances, and especially his stance on torture, soured me considerably. The nasty, attack-based campaign he ran turned my disappointment into disgust.

One nice speech isn't going to make up for that, however much I might like it to.

11. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

I have to agree with a couple others here that while I really respect McCain as a person, I lost a lot of respect for him as a politician during this election. He tried to align himself with the conservatives and thus really offset the independents that once supported him.

All that being said, it was a great speech.