1. Obezyanka

Obezyanka New Member

Has anyone gone to RAVES?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Obezyanka, Jun 16, 2009.

Okay so this has been on my mind.

My boyfriend in his late teens to mid twenties used to attend Raves. Ones that were in warehouses etc.

I was curious at first when we go to nightclubs and he would be kicking his legs and punching the air while he was jumping (hard to discribe). I was in shock when I first saw him dance and people were pointing at him and mimicking his moves. He says it is to get into the rhythm. I thought he was joking. He is ten years older then me.

It wasn't until NYE this year that we went to a "Rave" at a club and some Rave DJ was playing. We were sitting down and I saw about four or five people dancing the same style as my boyfriend. Not the same moves but the same style. Now I know what rave dancing is.

He attended a lot in the early 90s and I know cause he kept all the entry tickets and flyers that he attended. LOL.

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

*slowly raises hand*

Yes, I have been to raves. Ones held in clubs (which really aren't raves in my opinion) and ones held out in the sticks. I don't know where you live, but I went to raves in the northern part of the middle of Florida. Gainesville and the surrounding areas. I went to a rave that was DJ'ed by Oakenfold and Keoki which was particularly good.

The dancing you mention is very particular to raves and to rave music. I was never into the ravity skip that your b/f was into. I was very much into liquid dancing. I wish I could say that I had never partaken in the "party favors" which are also very much a part of raves, but unfortunately I cannot. The music, the particular dancing, and the "party favors" all went hand in hand.

3. chandler245

chandler245 Banned

*raises hand*
    Yep, I have gone to several underground raves, it was some of the most interesting time I have ever had.

4. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

I can't stand raves. Well, at least I can't stand the one that I've went to.
    A couple friends dragged me to one a couple of years ago and it was basically techno music, glow sticks, ecstasy, and underage girls crawling all over each other.
    A suspiciously young girl crawled at me and groped my leg, begging me to do something to her which I won't repeat here. I left immediately.
    I was disgusted and never want to go back.

5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Yeah, when I think back on it now ( so many years ago ) it gives me that yucky embarrassed feeling even though no one is around.

6. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

If you removed underage, I don't see the problem. Raves are awesome :D

7. ChaseRoberts

ChaseRoberts New Member

I loved it. Not for the music, the music was, is and forever will be, a little crap. I went with my friends, and we would be so loved up on sweeties and feel so confident, and happy, and we'd just blether rubbish and dance. Nobody cared about how you danced, we all danced as one (very terrible dancer). It's something that cannot possibly be recreated now. It was one of those things that just worked well at the time, like leg warmers in the 80's. You can try and bring them back, but they're just uncool.

8. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

Every once in a while I get pulled out to one. :) I love electronica music (the real electronica music, pardon. DJ Caffeine --no. ATB, Tiesto, Autechre, and VNV Nation, yes) and dancing, and I love having a reason to dress up a little strange and just let loose. Everyone is having fun and enjoying the music and each other's company, but usually the people who have the most fun are usually the ones who are strung out, and because of the smokey atmosphere, I dont get to them very often. Plus, knowing my family and personal history with substances, it's usually best I stay away anyway. :p

There arent many thrown here which people my age ( :redface: ) can get into without a lot of difficulty anyway, but there was one a few weeks ago that was interesting.
    "Lucky" for me, people often mistake me for +21. (It has its benefits sometimes, and it's not like I abuse it --I dont drink or anything, but I have to wonder if I should be insulted. You're four years off, buddy! :eek:

So, for the most part, I stick to electronica or rock concerts for my fun. The underage girls, glow sticks, and drugs are still around, but at least not everyone you come into contact with is pressuring you into getting high if you dont want to.

9. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

I think it's funny that there are now glow stick ads at the top of the page.

10. arron89

arron89 Banned

I used to go...it was sorta fun....they'd be in like basements and warehouses and there'd be like clouds of sweat and drug smoke and did funky things with the light XD

but now that I'm not 16, I prefer smaller clubs and concerts and stuff...I guess I'm one of these indie scene kids now :(

11. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

Okay....*ahem* I saw a rave party on the news....when one was slammed by the police because of the heavy drugs going on there, and lets just say when the news crew reached first, so all that was going on there...the children's parents' must have been very embarrassed. In reality I doubt I'll ever go to one though...who knows.

12. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I'm 17, so I can't go.
    But I plan to have that as one of my experiences. :)

13. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I've been to one. My sister and I went, back when I was still (sort of) Mormon. We just stood in the corner being freaked out for most of it.

14. Obezyanka

Obezyanka New Member

My boyfriend went to heaps he showed me a man bag and it was full of tickets and flyers plus two very out of date condoms. LOL. Should be put into a museum.

He has told me stories of people dancing around off their face and he has admited to having a e's etc. When we went out for NYE he gave me "magic" water. First time ever experiencing an illegal substance and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Never took anything since. The music isn't bad, I have heard crappier music. I didn't do the moves but happy to sit back and drink screwdrivers and watch.

It was kind of ironic cause on the way home back to the country the radio announce said rave was dead.

15. Hsnodgrass

Hsnodgrass New Member

I went to a rave called Earth Dance in the middle of the desert in Tucson, AZ. I showed up at about eleven with some friends and everything was well and good. We danced and listened to music ect, and at about eleven-thirty I started feeling "very good". I was totally digging on the scene but one of my friends wasn't "in the zone" yet. He finally was "chilling" at about eleven fifty-five. We were having a blast. Five minutes later the music cuts out and lights go off. What the hell? Cops.

The police came and shut the whole thing down, forcing everyone to leave. There were about two-thousand people at the rave. So me and my friend, both feeling "amazing" by now, get in the car and drive away, with two-thousand other rave-goers driving around us. This was both my friend and I's first rave. Needless to say things were a bit exhilarating. By that I mean we were blaring Daft Punk and doing 110 mph on the Tucson freeway while simultaneously dancing in our seats around a bunch of other people doing the same thing.

We finally found an after-party so it ended happy. And we didn't die, which was nice.

P.S. We met this girl Molly that I've never hung out with since. She was purely insane. ;)

16. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

lol I don't think there's anything better than doing 110 on the Tucson freeway while jamming to Daft Punk.