1. Lone Vista

Lone Vista Active Member

Medical Jargon Needed

Discussion in 'Research' started by Lone Vista, Jul 6, 2017.

Any doctors in the house? I need a medically plausible description of an injury that might make it difficult to speak, but keep breathing possible. The line is a diagnosis given by a doctor or medic without access to surgical equipment in a setting with a comparable technology level to modern day. It only needs to be a sentence or two.

Any suggestions? Realistic (or nearly) depiction of injuries is something I always have trouble finding info on.

2. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor

I'm not a doctor, but a broken jaw sounds like what you want. The swelling would make speech quite difficult, and the pain would make you weary of even trying.

SethLoki and Simpson17866 like this.
  3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

Having suffered a fractured jaw, it's not that bad. I missed a couple of days off work to go to hospital, only to be told "We'll treat it conservatively/Conservatively." I give both spellings, because what they meant was that it wasn't serious enough to waste money on!

newjerseyrunner likes this.
  4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll Contributor Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Mandibular Fracture. Well you can speak with a wired shut jaw, just can't really shout or scream.

Losing a bit of the tounge, or a good portion of it would make it quite difficult to speak.

Bone Injuries
    In theory, a fractured facial bone is treated just like any other bone in the body: The fracture together is held together for a period of time to enable it to heal. However, in practice, a cast can’t be applied to the face in the same way it can to an arm or a leg. For fractures of the upper and lower jaw, your oral surgeon may recommend wiring the jaws together or placing stabilizing plates to allow the bones to heal.

Fracture the crap of the maxillia (upper jaw) that too could make speech difficult.
    But it must be low enough to not affect the nasal cavity. :p

Hell you could have them take an impact hard enough to luxate (dilodge deeper, or tilt teeth sideways/forward/backwards) that
    would be most painful to speak.

Hope this helps a smidgen. :)

5. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

How serious of an injury are you looking for? Because I can think of a few but not if you want healing to occur relatively quickly.

Nerve injury
    Stroke or brain injury
    Ruptured vocal cord
    Vocal cord hemorrhage

Cave Troll likes this.
  6. Lone Vista

Lone Vista Active Member

Thanks everybody, these are all really helpful! And a lot better than the vague, uninformed concepts I was considering which I had no idea about. My first thought was actually "damage to trachea or larynx or something???". ...But I figured I'd better seek out educated advice since you need most of those parts to, you know, breathe.

GingerCoffee likes this.