1. Evenstar606

Evenstar606 Member

Medical testing questions

Discussion in 'Research' started by Evenstar606, Sep 24, 2020.

Hi, this is my first time posting here on the Writing Forum. My main character is a 13 year old boy. Ten days after he survives a vampire attack, he arrives at the hospital with symptoms such as fatigue, high fever, headache, body aches, vomiting and stomach pain, sore throat, and swollen lymph glands. He also has a rash spreading from the bite site.

An exam and blood work are done, revealing low white blood count and low red blood count, plus something else odd in his blood.

His final diagnosis will be a (fictional) virus spread by vampires that affects his immune system and the production of certain blood cells. Similar to HIV, only it’s spread to humans by vampires, and isn’t passed from human to human. I’ve also tried researching Epstein Barr virus and Lyme for inspiration.

My character starts showing symptoms within days of infection, much quicker than the “normal” incubation period for this virus. Two weeks to 30 days for most victims. Prior to this attack, he suffered from frequent, unexplained migraines that started at age 11, and his doctors believe that might be the reason this virus affected him so quickly. The virus is chronic and destructive if long term antiviral treatment isn’t started.

I’m wondering what all tests they will run to rule out other illnesses, before they figure out his diagnosis. Other than blood work. The doctors treating him have seen this virus in humanoids before, but not the humans of earth, so they’d want to be absolutely sure.

Also of note, his doctors are demons who work in a special research hospital. I just need to know a realistic idea of what testing leads up to diagnosis, and how long it would take. I’m thinking he’ll need at least blood work and a bone marrow aspiration. Thank you!

2. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Well, is it a virus or a bacteria?

If it's a bacteria, they'll take a blood sample and culture it, to see what microbes grow. They'll probably do that anyway.

If it's a virus, they'll need to do separate tests for each virus they suspect it to be. So the first one they'll do is probably an HIV test.

And with a low red blood cell count, they'll treat him for anemia first, but they may not proceed to a blood transfusion if they suspect a blood-borne infection.

A viral and microbial test takes about 24-48 hours.

LucatheRat and Evenstar606 like this.
  3. Evenstar606

Evenstar606 Member

T
    Thank you! It’s a virus .

4. LucatheRat

LucatheRat Active Member

Viral DNA can be detected by PCR (polymerase chain reaction), but they should have a number of specific reagents, designed for this virus, to do it. There are also tests measuring the level of antibodies in blood, but it's not the best way to detect HIV in early stages, because the right amount of antibodies is usually gained weeks after the patient is infected (I wander how similar is your virus to HIV). So, I'd put a PCR test for HIV on the list. You may want to think of the time when the virus was discovered, and how much is known about it. "Seen" doesn't mean "studied and diagnosed well", that will determine the time and effort it takes to find the diagnosis. Low blood cell count could be a sign of some kind of bone marrow pathology, but I think, in your case, the morphology (structure and form) of cells in a blood smear will be more or less normal, at least for the first couple of months, so bone marrow biopsy is unnecessary. Biochemical profile is needed for sure.

That's all I can think of right away.)

The variety of tests depends on how informed the medics/scientists are. Are they guessing with no clue what it could be? Are they actually expecting to find that strange virus they've seen? Is HIV their main version?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  5. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Why worry about authenticities like this, in a premise so outlandish and far-fetched?

Evenstar606 likes this.
  6. Evenstar606

Evenstar606 Member

Thank you for the reply! So basically, they’d do a lot of bloodwork? About 60 years have passed since these scientists and doctors have studied this virus in human subjects—and those subjects were from another world other than earth. However, they know for a fact that the vampire who bit my MC is a carrier of this virus. All of his previous victims were killed after he attacked them, so they’ve never been able to study a victim of this virus in modern times or on earth. Until my MC.

7. Evenstar606

Evenstar606 Member

Good point! I’m just worried that if someone did read the story, even knowing it involves the supernatural, that they would say the medical scenes aren’t “accurate.” I’ve ran across picky readers before . I suppose, since it’s my story, I shouldn’t care what people think. I have fun writing it and that’s what’s important!

LucatheRat and OurJud like this.
  8. Evenstar606

Evenstar606 Member

So far, HIV is the closest real world virus I could find to compare my fictional virus to. It’s harder to create a disease than I thought it would be when I first came up with the idea at age 14 . 20 years ago. Luckily I have more research resources readily available to me now, like the internet.

The virus was discovered in the 1800’s, in my main vampire character’s home world. Then he travels to earth in 1945. His nephew tests positive as a carrier in 1992, but all of his victims die once he bites them. So no viable human subjects are available to study on earth until 2007 when my 13 year old MC is bitten, survives the attack, and comes down with the virus.

Sounds like bloodwork would be where they would start. Any other tests would probably be done after diagnosis to check how the virus is affecting his organs...

9. LucatheRat

LucatheRat Active Member

That basically leaves them with a differential diagnosis for "VampIV". If I were one of those demon doctors - the VampIV test would be the first thing I'd do. It would confirm the original guess within a day, if the vampire tests work on humans. I would add an HIV and a couple of genetic tests to exclude congenital immunodeficiency and the blood sterility tests Naomasa298 suggested earlier, in search of some new infection.

Some people just like nitpicking.)

"Daemonhouse M.D." ))) I would read this.))

Evenstar606 likes this.
  10. LucatheRat

LucatheRat Active Member

You're right. If "VampIV" affects certain organs, say, spleen or bone marrow, they should pay more attention to those. May be you'll think of some "signature" changes it does to the tissues. Something like: "Oh, there are heart-shaped cysts in his liver. It could only be VampIV!"

Evenstar606 likes this.
  11. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

I think an important consideration would be are they even aware of this virus, if there’s never been a surviving human to study how would they know to look for it. Even if there are some doctors aware of the virus, not every doctor would recognize it. Even my own mother went seven years and countless doctors before they figured out she had MS. They went from calling it a stroke to bone spurs to lyme disease to nerve impingement before someone figured it out, and multiple sclerosis is well known. For blood work I’d suggest starting with some of the basic old-stand-by tests like a CBC with differential, chem panel, and a basic or comprehensive metabolic panel.

Let them work up to finding a viral agent at work. If the character is going to die of this virus, there’s your ticking clock and the urgency factor- big engines for tension and suspense.

What they do after they discover the virus- I’m afraid you’re on your own.

Evenstar606 likes this.
  12. Evenstar606

Evenstar606 Member

Thank you! One big factor with my character is how fast the virus progresses in him versus other victims in the past, who had a much slower progression if the disease. So they really have to race against time to treat him for it. I have that part planned out already, I just wasn’t sure how they would come to the diagnosis. I’ll probably go with they really don’t know that much about it!