1. CrimsonAngel

CrimsonAngel Banned

Medieval Poetry?

Discussion in 'The Craft of Writing Poetry' started by CrimsonAngel, Jan 6, 2021.

Does anyone read medieval poetry and even though it is archaic and irrelevant (to some degree) I think it still has some kind of capacity to bring out topics or things that would make the reader go "well that is interesting, I have experienced that before" does anyone else feel that way?

2. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

Are you talking about epic or lyric? Or both? I don't know that I've read much lyric medieval poetry, but I have read through Beowulf. Some could argue Chaucer's Tales are partially written in verse, but past that I only know "Somer is y-comen in" which feels a bit like a cop out because I feel like everyone knows that one. This thread does make me want to look into it more, though.

Do you have a specific example of a poem that made you go, "well that is interesting?"

3. CrimsonAngel

CrimsonAngel Banned

Probably Francis Bacon's or even Dante Alighieri's work. That really made me interested in medieval poetry. I also mean both lyric and epic.

Dogberry's Watch likes this.
  4. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

What ideas/topics from those stood out to you?

5. CrimsonAngel

CrimsonAngel Banned

Well for one thing, Dante's work about hell, purgatory, and heaven were very spiritual to me which made me feel like there was some other life besides earth, and Francis Bacon's writing is very beautiful and righteous. I feel medieval poetry tells a story and is highly preachy (not that it is a bad thing) preachy is good sometimes.