1. Martin Beerbom

Martin Beerbom Senior Member

Mellel Releases Version 4

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Martin Beerbom, Aug 29, 2017.

Mellel is a commercial Mac only WYSIWYG word processor (i.e., similar to MS Word). Cost is ~$60, ~€50 for new users, and gracious rebates for existing customers (Mellel 4 is a paid upgrade for existing users at half the price, but if you bought it within the last two years, you'll get it for free). No subscription, as far as I can see. (As much as I like the Mac App Store for its security, it seems very much recommended to buy directly from Mellel. The App Store version is more expensive and doesn't seem to have extra features)

It is made by an Israeli company – "mellel" is Hebrew for "text". Their big feature was/is their handling of style sheets, automatic features like numbering of headlines, and its multi language support (not surprisingly, with an extremely nice support of writing direction, given that Hebrew is right-to-left – it's very simple to use different languages including ones with different writing direction within the same file and switch anywhere). Given all that, it's very popular in academic circles (for historians and such). They also pride themselves of delivering a rock-solid app that will not crash when you approach your deadline or thesis delivery time.

But the reason I want to announce it here are the features that are now advertised for the newest release, Mellel 4. Their webpage outlining the features is https://www.mellel.com/getthejobdone/?utm_source=welcometo4&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mas_customers. They clearly want to expand into the creative fiction writing field. The feature they add is, as far as I can see, an index/tagging of segments where you can add story-related features for segments of your text, like characters, location, plot lines. You can include various media within the tag, like character photos, for instance. As opposed to, say, Scrivener, it's meant to be one file for your whole book, and the indexing and tagging helps you to keep track of structure without splitting into different files. Looks all very interesting, but I haven't used it much, since it's brand new.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017