1. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Happy Separation Day!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jannert, Jul 4, 2014.

To my old friends, family and colleagues in the USA - Happy Separation Day! Here in Scotland we are told by the No Campaign, the Tory-LibDem coalition UK government, the Pope, JK Rowling, Kermit the Frog and President Obama that 'separation' from the rest of the UK is a Bad Thing. I don't believe it. So here's to our own Scottish "Separation Day," which will hopefully begin being celebrated on 19th September this year. Meanwhile, do enjoy yours...!

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I've never heard it called Separation Day before. :p

Happy Independence Day to my fellow Americans!

Andrae Smith likes this.
  3. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Here's to Scotland's future independence! :D

And ours, as well. :D

Andrae Smith likes this.
  4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

:confused: Is there talk of secession in Alabama. :p

Link the Writer and 123456789 like this.
  5. stevesh

stevesh Banned Contributor

Yes, since 1865.

Lemex, 123456789, daemon and 2 others like this.
  6. Link the Writer

We tried that once. It did not go well for us. :p

<dons Union uniform and cap>

minstrel and GingerCoffee like this.
  7. cazann34

cazann34 Active Member

Kermit the frog??

8. Link the Writer

Basically everyone famous and important is saying Scotland should not split from the UK. Jannert is still pretty mad about it, and I don't blame him.

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh and jannert like this.
  9. Ulramar

Ulramar Contributor Contributor

I prefer to call it "Successful Treason Day".

But yeah what's going on with Scotland?

10. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

This is not a very nice way to say happy independence day to the Americans on this forum. I too contemplated making some biting remarks, regarding our banks, the NSA, and the Unseen Hand, but decided to refrain out of respect for the rest of us.

11. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Funny thing, I read the other day that the NSA has an agreement not to spy on only four countries in the world. They are Australia, New Guinea, Canada, and Great Britain. It makes me wonder if we ARE really separated from Great Britain after all.

Andrae Smith likes this.
  12. 123456789

If I had to choose between being truly free from the global oligarchy that surely controls us all, or having Jannert apologize for her acerbic comment about our holiday, my hands would be tied. I'm a very emotional creature ';_;'

13. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Oh I wasn't saying anything bad about her, but simply asserting some new information I recently heard into the discussion.

14. Link the Writer

Hey, can you Americans do me a tiny favor? Please refrain from firing your fireworks during broad daylight. I just ran inside after being spooked by a sudden barrage of fireworks.

Wait until sundown, then you can launch all the fireworks you please. :) At least then you can see all the pretty, pretty colors. :D

15. Ulramar

Ulramar Contributor Contributor

I was trying to sleep last night and they were going off....

16. Link the Writer

@Ulramar - <takes out hearing aid> I don't understand how they bother you. I can sleep just fine with them going off over my house.

#deafjoke

Ulramar likes this.
  17. jannert

@123456789 - Umm ...not sure if you missed my point ...but I wasn't having a dig at the USA at all. I apologise profusely for misleading you, if you thought I was. I was PRAISING the USA, and hoping Scotland has the political will to join it as an independent country after the Independence Referendum on 18 September this year.

My reference to 'Separation Day' was a dig at the people who think Scotland shouldn't be trying to achieve independence at all—many of whom have an agenda of their own on this issue.

The 'No' campaigners (and the names mentioned, including President Obama, although he did admit the decision is up to the Scottish people ...which it is) have often portrayed Scotland's struggle as 'separation.' They know if they use the word 'independence' and then come out as being against the idea, they are going to look pretty silly. But 'separation' has a more negative sound to it, so they frequently choose that word to refer to this issue.

You felt insulted because I called American independence 'separation,' and didn't call it by its proper name—independence. Those of us on the Yes side of this Scottish campaign feel the same way.

Insults have gone very deep recently. One prominent politician even compared the Scottish First Minister Alex Salmond (duly elected by the Scottish people) to the present leader of North Korea. (Kind of insulting to the Scottish electorate, who have put him in this position two elections in a row.) A prominent BBC interviewer even compared him to Robert Mugabe. Most recent insult is the politician who compared people who are working to achieve independence (via a ballot, already agreed upon between the UK and the Scottish governments) to Nazi Hitler youth!

All this because Scotland is getting a chance to vote on becoming an independent country. We who are on the Yes side of this campaign look with ENVY at the USA, a country that had to actually fight a war to achieve theirs. Scotland only has to stroke an x onto the ballot in September—but the forces arrayed against us, spreading scare stories you wouldn't imagine and actually making threats are massive. JK Rowling just donated £1,000,000 to the "No" campaign. Here's hoping we can ignore the scare stories and accusations of 'separation' and have the guts to do this thing.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/scottish-independence-obama-asked-to-intervene-1-3438465

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/13/pope-scottish-independence-warning-division

Oh, and by the way @Cazann and @Link the Writer , I wasn't being sarcastic. Kermit the Frog DID say he thought Scotland should stay in the UK. He also said that Miss Piggy would want Scotland to become independent so that she could become Queen of Scotland. I know, I know ...surreal. But it happened.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/mar/25/kermit-the-frog-scottish-independence

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  18. GingerCoffee

Decided to stay home with the dogs so they would be less upset. One is fine, the other is as neurotic as hell even with me being here. :(

Oh well, they're playing music by Seattle artists from Hendrix to Macklemore with the downtown fireworks and it's not bad as far as TV fireworks go.

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh likes this.
  19. 123456789

So using a word that you feel is an insult to describe our holiday isn't a dig? You're starting to sound like a politician, Jannert.

20. jannert

Well, I am very sorry indeed if this came across in the wrong way. I assure you it was not meant in ANY way as a dig at the USA. Quite the opposite.

21. GingerCoffee

Ummm, huh? Where are you coming from here. Nothing in the OP is a dig at the US that I can see.

22. 123456789

@GingerCoffee

Separation Day lacks aesthetic and phonetic appeal

matwoolf likes this.
  23. 123456789

Guys,

I was kidding on this one. Sorry for confusion!

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh and jannert like this.
  24. cazann34

cazann34 Active Member

I am Scottish and unlike Jannert I am NOT mad that everyone is telling us not go vote for independence. I find it amusing that EVERYONE (including a hand puppet) is so terrified that Scotland will finally take its freedom back after 300 years of oppression it has to resort to gimmicks (Kermit the frog) We knew the time is right to take back our freedom!
    And like many American's we will celebrate the day our country is free for the British. In Scotland we call ourselves Scottish not British by the way. Whether we call it 'Separation Day' is another matter.

25. jannert

Well, you'll be rolling in the aisles to discover that Shrek has also come out against the idea of an independent Scotland! http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/comedy/comedy-news/10940162/Shrek-says-no-to-Scottish-independence.html