1. Sudhir Raina

Sudhir Raina New Member

Mental break down of a writer which leads to him writing his first book

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Sudhir Raina, Oct 5, 2017.

My MC is a journalist who aspires to write a novel, but for this he needs to go through a mental breakdown where he will find that noone is going to help him achieve his goal. he himself has to put the effort to make it happen. i have the complete structure ready.
    I need some help to find the symbolism which is going to show his mental breakdown, like a prop/object or an action. I am completely lost.

2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

Do you know anything about journalism or mental health?

izzybot likes this.
  3. Sudhir Raina

Sudhir Raina New Member

@Shadowfax
    Yeah the whole story is actually based around it. And this realization of MC's immaturity which leads to the breakdown but i need something very strong to express it.

4. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Member

Would need to know more about the MC and his backstory to know the life he lived up to this point. He is a journalist, and that is taking away his time to write... So what happens is each time he sits down to write, he is called in for a hot story or otherwise tasked. He really tries to write but cannot. He is frustrated, starts to drink, loses his job as a journalist, loses his money and his family because of it. He is now alone, with nothing left to do but to write, and so he does.

5. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I don't understand why he needs a mental breakdown to write a novel. Plenty of journalist write novels. And I would think a mental breakdown from one writing career probably wouldn't push you right into another.

6. Partridge

Partridge Senior Member

What do you mean by he needs a symbol? Do you mean one object or possession in his life that he looses or one that gets broken as he descends into a mental breakdown?

7. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

You know, my initial reaction was to agree with you, but then I thought about it in a different context :

I used to work at The Humane Society - lots of euthanasia, animal abuse, horrible things. I burnt out. I freaked out. It had been years of this every day and at some point I couldn't deal with it anymore and then I continued for a few more months. By the time I quit I was a mental and emotional wreck. I hated the world, and couldn't stomach the thought of seeing one more abused animal. So you know what I did? Know what my next job was? I worked for a Vet as a vet tech, where I could still be around what I loved, still do what I loved, but instead with animals whose owners loved them.

So maybe it's like that? He still loves the words, is drawn to them, but needs to create something different - something that doesn't hurt as much (or at least hurts different)?

Laurus likes this.
  8. Partridge

Partridge Senior Member

I can vouch for that. I used to write for a lesser known and very dull car magazine as a staffer, but I hated being in an office environment. The politics, the meetings and "catch ups" with my line manager who had more fake concern than a politician talking about poverty. Oh yeah, and being put on a conference call when I off work with an illness. It was the first time I'd made money from writing (hooray), but it was also the worst experience of my life. I didn't have a nervous break down, but I had something very close to one.

You know what? I can't stay away from writing. Even after that. So I'm getting back into writing, this time to tackle a novel. I think writing is a physical need for most of us. There's something inside you that is screaming to be expressed.

Shenanigator likes this.