Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

Mental Health Support Thread (NOT for giving medical advice, or debating)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Scattercat, Sep 8, 2008.

I've mentioned Oliver Sacks a couple of times - his books really are fascinating - but here is an article he's written about manic-depressive disorder (aka bipolar), filled in his usual way with extensive quotes from other books and sources, as well as his own experience. I found it an interesting read, and if anyone ever wanted to get a better feel for a "crazy" character, well, the more you know the better, ne?

A Summer of Madness.

2. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I read it.
    It was cool.
    It probably help me with my horror story: The Lashing Wind.
    My main character, who is the criminal and kills people, he suffers from manic-depressive disorder.
    You should really see how he tortures his victims. It all depends on his mood.

I liked what this guy wrote about manic-depressive disorder.
    It might have been some more use when I actually was doing all the research for manic-depressive disorder. -.-
    I'm already on chapter ten.

3. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

Hm. This could possibly be helpful for me.
    What is it with you people ending up inside of my head? Get out of there! :p

Thanks for posting this, it looks like an interesting article!

4. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

I was particularly struck by the parallels between mania and creativity. I know I sometimes feel oddly "compelled" to keep writing. Once the muse hits, I can't stop, and then before I know it I've written three thousand words and it's four AM, and I still feel energized and ready to write all the way until I have to get up at six-thirty. Away with sleep! Screw work! I can handle it!

Usually I'm able to talk myself into at least a couple hours of sleep, and it certainly doesn't happen EVERY time I sit down to write, but still. It's interesting to me to see how fine the line is between a "normal" mind and a "disordered" one. Dr. Sacks has taken the position in recent years that almost every form of psychosis is really just an exaggeration (or reduction) of a trait that is present in every mind, and that the question becomes not so much "How do we cure it?" as "How can we learn to be whole people with it?"

5. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I already knew about most of the stuff written in the article.
    That is what a lot of research on mental disorders leads me too.
    Cause I like to make the realist craziest person, eva.

Anyway I read an article, can't remember the link, about the connection of mental disorders (may it be manic-depressive disorder or some disorder that alters the mind [such as a 40 year old man acting like a six year old boy]) to creatisim. They say those with mental disorders of some sort are more creative then those who don't have a mental disorder.

6. zconstantine

zconstantine New Member

Another interesting "case study", if you will, is that of Louis Wain, a characteristically manic painter.

His studies of anthropomorphic cats are a very interesting window into the mind of one who flits between despair and glee.

7. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

I find that I do this also. In fact I notice that the later it is and the more detached my brain seems to be - the better and longer I write.
    I've tried to write during the day but it never seems to have the same affect.
    But this could also be due to the fact I'm a very 'nocturnal' person. I tend to stay up all night long anyway.

I also think because when it's later and my brain becomes... fuzzy, if you will - I'm not so focused and critical of my writing and I just let it flow.

The difference between a normal mind and a disordered one is an interesting thing to contemplate.
    Can't say mine is anywhere near normal though. :p

8. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

There is the same old saying: "Genius and Madness walk side by side :p."

9. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

I don't know I tend to like walking behind Madness so I can step on his heels. ;)

10. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

As I was saying before a lot of the famous writers and famous painters all had something crazy happen in their minds.

The guy who painted the painting "Scream" or something was suffering from depression when he made half o his paintings.

11. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

You perhaps mean Edvard Munch?

12. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Are you talking me?

13. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

Unless someone else referenced the pathologically-anxious painter of "The Scream," yes.

14. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

lol!
    Sorry.
    A bit daizy.

I didn't know who painted "The Scream", until now.

15. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

I believe we call manic depression bipolar nowdays

16. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

Yeah, he mentioned it was also called Bipolar Disorder. :)

17. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

In fact, the article makes the point that "bipolar" is a bit of a misnomer, since it doesn't involve swinging between two opposite extremes, but can in fact involve many states which are blendings of depression and mania. The fact that lithium alone can treat both the manic and the depressive symptoms is a clue that the two states are not as far separated as might be thought.

18. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Actually, I would conclude that it is evidence that the disorder is caused indeed caused by an imbalance in electrolytes affecting neuron firing potentials, as has been theorized by many.

The states themselves, whether the swing is between neutral and manic, or deppressive and neutral, or deppressive and manic, remains characterized by a recurrence period that tends to remain fairly fixed for a given patient. This too argues a biochemical basis rather than an emotional/external-event basis.

So yes, the fact that the same treatment levels both phases of the cycle does strongly argue that the states are closely related, the principal conlusion I would draw is that lithium carbonate treatment is in fact treating closer to the root cause than treating symptoms.

19. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I'm actually a Manic Depressive myself.
    So I can totally relate to what was written.

20. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

My term paper for a Psychology course some time ago was on Bipolar Affective Disorder (aka Manic Deppression) and research (current at the time) that associated a large percentage of cases in a sample population with a specific gene sequence. All those who had that genetic marker responded well to LiCO3 treatments, and many of those lacking that gene did not respond well to it. Of the rest who lacked the gene but still responded well, the researchers specualted that there might be other such genetic indicators not yet discovered.

Very interesting material.

21. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Merril Lynch bought by Bank of America to avert financial collapse. Lehman Brothers filed for bankruptcy protection and will now be systematically liquidated by a court appointed trustee. AIG insurance company borrowed 30 billion from its subsidiary companies and is still $10 billion short of its needs. And the federal government announced they will not bail out these failing investment banks and insurance companies. Washington Mutual Bank's rating on www.bankratemonitor.com dropped to 1-star.

What does this mean to you?

Me? With the $500 drop in the Dow Jones Industrial Average today, my stock portfolio lost value by probably 30% this year. My banks (Wells Fargo, El Dorado Savings and Valley Credit Union) are all rated 4-stars out of five, so they are okay for the time being.

Am I worried? No. This downturn is a wonderful buying opportunity. The markets have dropped severely twice in my lifetime and they always came back to hit new "highs" a few years later. Fear is the greatest threat we face. People who sell now in a panic are assuring their losses.

Who is at fault for the economic problems during the past 12 months? We the people are! Greed drove real estate speculation. Greed drove people to buy more house than they could afford. Greed provided the incentive to take the risk of variable rate mortgages.

Could government have stopped this crisis by tightening up credit last year? Yes, but at what cost? Tightening credit would have "hurt" lower income people as they would be denied access to the great American dream of home ownership. Instead, we let them enjoy the home until the ARM rates went up, which, by the way, was entirely the decision of the Federal Reserve Board...in essence, the government caused the collapse by raising interest rates. The Federal Reserve Board triggered the collapse of the financial house of cards that was built by our own greed.

This economic shake out is HEALTHY! After the immediate "crisis" is over, the economy will be stable and growth will be slow but steady unless government spending continues to grow massive deficits.

Recession or depression. Neither. It's just an overheated, greed-driven economy that is finding balance. Hunker down, have faith and take advantage of the wonderful profit potential as this economy restores.

22. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Isn't there a business maxim that says: "Losses are just misunderstood opportunities?"

23. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

not to worry, folks!... bush says the economy is in great shape, the surge worked, bin laden is in his sights, and mccain will keep it all going, while palin reshapes our nation's policies on how the world was created, what women can't do with their own bodies, and how many poor, innocent fellow critters we can each 'take down' and 'field dress' whether we're starving and need 'em for food, or not...................................

24. EyezForYou

EyezForYou Active Member

It's neither recession or depression.

It is simple corruption.

25. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

I guess I'll pick up were mammamaia left off.

..........and Obama and Biden will tax our economy right back to full strength because raising taxes always helps a struggling economy recover.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.