Mental Health Support Thread (NOT for giving medical advice, or debating)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Scattercat, Sep 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Sorry. It was probably the background music they used. I will see if I can come across the same presentation again and if so I'll post it.

Terry

2. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Found another link. Maybe they should get rid of the music. Doesn't need it.

Burning Down The House: What Caused Our Economic Crisis? V2

Again, shows many to blame and this was a long time in coming and hints and warnings ignored of the consequences.

Terry

3. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Really? :confused: I thought we were jsut screwing around... then again that makes me sound smarter so yeah. Satire :cool:.

4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Yeah, man... Satire! :rolleyes::D

5. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

I feel like a freaking financial wizard with the summer money I earned sitting in my family's safe in our house. No interest, but no losses. If anyone needs some financial advising, feel free to PM me, lol. :cool:

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Sounds good. What's the location and combination, so I can, ah, deposit some of my own cash? Yeah, that's it. :D

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

still gets the same message... seems warner bros' legal team did a clean sweep...

8. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Indeed. You'd think that after the first video was removed he'd have the intelligence to change whatever it was that was the problem (it's usually obvious when its a copyright thing XD).

9. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Sadly with the markets jumping up and down so high recently, its made my procrastination worse. Rather then do writing im now watching the DOW ;) (and im not even American). Stupid media constantly talking about markets and stuff.

10. Gladiatus

Gladiatus New Member

Just buy lots and lots and lots of GOLD :D

11. Cogito

Yeah, but not WoW Gold.

(You have NO idea how much spam we delete hawking WoW Gold!)

12. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

World of Warcraft? :confused: Seriously?

The internet is such a strange phenomenon... I'm not sure where to call it the safe haven of free speech or the safe haven of silliness :rolleyes:.

And I'm not sure about Gold right now. That bubbles been budding for awhile. If you'd invested in it a decade ago then you'd be rolling in cash by this point! I'm still waiting for the Gold and several other smaller but much dumber bubbles to burst.

13. BatCountry

BatCountry New Member

I think it's a mental recession, everyone starts freaking out, word gets around, everyone believe it's a recession, and because they think it is, they start pulling money out of the bank, selling stocks etc. That is why we're in trouble right now.

14. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

It was a mental recession until the Housing and Loan Markets crashed. Now its a real recession.

15. Cogito

But to a degree it is still a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The situation leading to the collapse of the finance institutions is an outgrowth of greed. The lack of regulation is taking the blame, but the fact is, even if there were regulations, short sighted and greedy financial "wizards" would have found ways around them. The more complicated the rules, the harder they are to oversee effectively.

16. Westhouse

Westhouse New Member

There was regulation, it was just very dated. You can't send out 100- 110% loans to people at high risk of paying them back, and then sell that risk to another firm...it's just stupid.

17. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

Would it be correct to say, in a way, that the U.S. government is forcing a loan from teens/young adults? And they're borrowing money from us to the tune of 11 trillion dollars and counting? We have no say in what they are doing to our future. And with baby boomers retiring, there will be even greater economic pressure due to entitlements. So in this case, there's no chance of the borrower paying us back. There will be little money to meet the needs of the next generation. It's all very disconcerting.

18. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Well with another 7.3% knocked of the Dow today (6% in the last 30 minutes alone) than i wonder if people will start snapping up!

[​IMG]
    By speedyjjj at 2008-10-09

My mate had to sell off some stocks recently as they were asking him to buy more, mother****ers

19. HondaWriter

HondaWriter New Member

I dont know if I have depression or not, never been diagnosed, but I'll be going to a doctor soon to get checked out. I get a solid three week lull every couple of months. For the most part, I function through it. Im still creative as far as writing goes but just dont feel like going on with the little everyday things.

Im just paranoid a doctor will want to throw meds down my throat, so I've put going to see a doctor off.

Anyone else go through this? Just curious on what you've found that helps.

20. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

I experience severe depressions on a regular basis but I avoid doctors precisely for the reason you mentioned. I am not interested in taking mood altering drugs. In fact, I have found that my most creative moments are often deep within the depressed period. If the depressions became debilitating, I would seek treatment, but I actually find them pleasurable...I withdraw from human contact and spend lots of time writing.

21. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Sorry to hear about your problem Honda. I think you're doing the right thing by going to a doctor. You know, sometimes depression can be related to a physical illness so the meds you get may be necessary to rectify this, and not the type of meds you're worried about. I have depressions from time to time but I know they are related to the stuff I have to deal with and can't fix. I found distance running helped a lot. Funny, I couldn't write when I was bad, or rather everything turned out too depressing or emo but I'm glad to hear you can still write when you're down.
    Good luck and treasure yourself a bit, won't you?

22. Lmc71775

Lmc71775 Active Member

I'm bipolar (manic-depressive) and I know what you're going through. You're lucky it doesn't effect your creativity too much. I seem to have that problem alot. When I'm depressed, I can't seem to motivate myself to do anything.

It's good to hear you're going to the doctor. Don't be afraid about it. They are there to help you. Good luck to you.

23. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

Depressive disorders are diagnosed in approximately 18.8 million Americans --diagnosed. I would be surprised if a good percentage of users here werent on medication.

As for a doctor shoving pills down your throat... it depends on the doctor. If you go to your general practitioner, he probably will because he doesnt have the time or qualifications to counsel you. A psychiatrist on the other hand is more likely to offer therapy sessions, although they are MDs and can prescribe medicine. Psychologists and therapists can only provide therapy without medication. Some psychiatrists work with psychologists / therapists. In my opinion, the specialized team is often more beneficial to the patient... but it's usually more costly as well.

Mental disorders are tricky because the degree of the problem is sometimes hard to diagnose in the first few sessions, but if you dont diagnose it right away, a patient may do something irrational. If you really dont want to be medicated, go to a psychologist or therapist; verbal discussions are what they're trained to do, whereas psychiatrists would probably do a combination of both.

All the same, I stress that you shouldnt be scared of medicine. For most depressive disorders, it's hard to reverse that sort of negative cycle without some sort of medication because in most cases it's a chemical imbalance. Once you learn proper coping skills and can battle and defeat the low serotonin and endorphine levels, a person prone to depression can exist without it, but it would be difficult to do on your own --like quitting smoking. A negative feedback cycle is hard to break and is ingrained into a person's lifestyle oftentimes.

24. Robert Lipscombe

Robert Lipscombe New Member

exercise generally helps... of course if you can weather it, that's probably the best thing, but if it gets too much you really should get some help to lift the mood a bit... life is tough and there are plenty of reasons for sadness, but sometimes there seems to be no action you can possibly take and just keeping on going seems pointless - it's at times like that it is a good idea to have a bit of help from chemistry..
    big hug and very best wishes
    RL

25. StrangerWithNoName

StrangerWithNoName Longobard duke

I'm depressed too, nothign too serious, I can easily mask it in real life, and that's useful, because if they find that you're depressed, they're gonna avoid any contact with you. It seems that most people think that depression is somehow contagious, and I consider this the worst aspect of this problem.

How it affects writing? In my case it's the opposite, my writing isn't going the way I want it to go and this makes me feel depressed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.